Carver Receiver 900 User Manual. Can find service manual, but not user manual.

Looking for Carver Receiver 900 User Manual. (NOT PM900 or other XX900, just plain old 900.) Can find service manual, but not USER manual. WiFiEngine website says it has the user manual, but new registrations are closed permanently so can't log in to get it. Electrotanya doesn't have it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey Chuck,
I owned the Canadian factory service shop for Carver in the later years. What do you need to know?

I may be fuzzy on the operator instructions. These sets are not normal the way they work. When people attempt to service them, they tend to make a mess, or they get it functioning but not well. That's why Carver didn't release service information (but now it's out there).

Hi anatech,

I need to know how to set it up to use it, tuning in particular. For example, I push the "tuner" button and then the "am" button. Pressing the "up" and "down" buttons doesn't change the frequency, so the frequency is stuck at 530kHz. Doesn't matter whether I just press the "up" or "down" button once or hold it down. Frequency won't change. Same result if I push the "fm" button, no way to tune it. There's probably some simple step that I don't know, but I don't have a manual. Any ideas? Thanks.

Chuck

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Chuck,
Well, you are operating it correctly. It's broken and needs repair.

There are some service notes on these as well, maybe not on paper. You need to get it into the hands of a really good audio tech that can do FM alignment and is use to working on electronically tuned tuners. This person will e a dedicated audio technician, probably be old (like me) and have very good bench equipment. That means not a friend "who will have a look" or anyone else along those lines. Not a TV tech, and heavens not an IT person.

These are very powerful receivers and the power supplies need attention. The wrong tech can blow the thing up for all time. Get it in the hands of the right technician and it will give you years of really good service. If a hack gets it, may as well pour gas on it and light, walk away.

Hi Anatech,
That's what I was afraid of. I have another receiver that I am using now but thought I would see if there was any hope for this one. I may try using a little tuner cleaner on the up & down switches and, if that doesn't work, scrap it for parts for a future project. Thanks for your input. Have a good weekend!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Chuck,
Please don't do that. The switches are tact switches, you can't clean them. They are not your problem, I already know this. I don't know what the issue is exactly, but that isn't it.

Please don't scrap it. It's a nice set. Sell it to someone who will repair it. Used parts are never a good plan, and the power transformer is special requiring the control circuit. You can't just plug it in.

I've repaired many over the years, along with many other brands. They have things that need replacement due to age, and if you look after it and have it serviced, you would love it. Don't wreck it just because you can't fix it yourself please. I don't care how you got it, or even if you got it from trash or recyclers. They are good receivers and don't deserve to be scrapped like that.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's the one.

This is a "Mag coil" power supply. Training is really required to fix them correctly, although people get them running. Sometimes that is worse than they couldn't get it running. We've had experienced technicians mess them up pretty good. Non-experienced have been the root of a few horror stories.

Anyway, the fault here is in the VCO control loop - or power supply. There are some common issues with these power supplies that need looking after these days on top of that.

Thanks for your impassioned plea, and for the manuals. Okay, I won't scavenge it for parts. I'll hold off for a while until I can at least check the power supply voltages. Any idea what it would be worth? Also, regrettably, I am probably not located in a city (Asheville, NC) where very many people would be interested in a fix-it project (this is more of a brewery-on-every-corner town), and that thing weighs a ton, shipping would probably be more than I could get for the receiver. Anyway, I'll let you know what I find out. May be several weeks though, Asheville is a sub-tropical rain forest and the grass, vines, thorns, and invasives are growing like crazy.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I visited a friend in NC years ago. It was like someone threw a hot wet blanket on my as I got out of the car. Beautiful green plants everywhere.

Honestly, these are extremely light for the power output. If you're patient, someone will want it. I don't know what they are worth. Depends on market.

When they are running properly, they are really good sets with enough power to end most speakers without clipping. I don't think you know what you have. Many people talk Carver down because most techs can't fix them. The technology is not normal and was really good thinking on Bob Carver's part. They also don't throw off much heat when running. In the hands of a good tech, they turn out extremely well.

Too bad you're in another country. I could have that unit singing, and I bet there are good techs around you that could also. Many more are convinced they can and those people will destroy it. If the cosmetics are good ... sell it. $50 is better than a kick in the teeth, more than that is even better. $50 is more than the scrap you'll get out of it. If you look up on value, it is misleading. Most used gear is not fixed properly ... but it "works" to some degree.

I always hear people say " I can buy another one for less than the repair cost". Great, now you're back where you started. The next piece might be worse if worked on in fact. The value of a properly fixed piece normally exceeds the new replacement cost for something with the same specs and build quality. Repair costs are far lower. Now look at the output power and find something new, current production that is comparable and see how much that is worth. Then, is it built as well? Go look.