• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

BIB dimensions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been getting quite a few questions about BIB dimensions for the BetsyK. As I said in the "enclosures" forum, these are the dims I used:

L = (Line length) 150.5"
Zdriver = Driver 30.1" down from sealed end of cabinet
Sm = 200"^2

They are a good bit smaller than GM's formula would give you, but they had more than enough bass in my room. I wish I could remember what my exact dimensions were, but I think I used something like 11.5x17.4 WxD internal open space, which means my actual enclosures where 13" wide x 20.4" deep or so. (I used a double thickness front baffle. If you don't, you only need to add three thicknesses to get to your exterior depth). I can't remember how tall they were, but I do know that after trying to accurately calculate the height including a changing radius around the bend, it ended up being really darn close to just assuming straight lines.

hopefully that helps!

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

Thanks for the thread. Trying to read through 5053 posts on the TC bib thread will give you a headache.lol Somewhere in the posts GM figured out how to sim the bibs. There is a chart for alot of drivers posted. I couldn't find a sim on the Betsy K. It seems that the design is very forgiving. Using your measurements. The height would about 78". So a internal of 12" wide and depth of 18" and 78" tall. Thats with a single 3/4" baffle. Not sure how for from the bottom to terminate the the internal piece. Placement front to back is unknown too. It could start at the top and go down to about 9" from bottom. Then center it at 9" from the back.[guessing] It would vent out the top. Maybe someone will chime in with there build.

Many people seem to have the bottom of the baffle equidistant from the front, bottom, and back. A more constant rate of expansion makes sense to me. Here again, I can't recall what I did. But it would have been something like half-an-inch closer to the front than to the bottom, and half an inch closer to the bottom than to the back.

Notice that with these specs, the speaker ends up pretty high. They'd be a little more difficult to deal with, but you can consider building an inverted BIB to get the driver right at ear height.

Paul
www.wildburroauudio.com

I didn't mind the driver height, but I didn't love it either. I mention it now, as if you are going to consider inverting, it would be good to have that in mind from the beginning. There are also potential loading advantages. If you have the vents loaded with the floor, you might be able to get the speakers out from the wall a bit, which could have positive effects on imaging.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

Speaker specs.
Re=5.7
Fs=49.95
Sd=22.966
Bl=5.471
Qms=2.798
Qes=.548
Qts=.458
Spl=94.6
Vas=82.914L
So
L=13526.5/2/49.95 L=135.400
H=L/2 H=67.7
Vb=20*Vas*(Qts^1.25) Vb=624.692
Sl=Vb(in ft^3)*(12^3(inches in ft^3))H Sl=109.522
D=(Sl*(2^.5))^.5 D=12.4470
W=Sl/D W=8.801
Zd=l*0.217 Zd=29.381
I think my cal. on the Sl is wrong. A cab of 67.7x12.44x8.801 doesnt seem right. Where did I go wrong?

Hmm, Vb = 624.692 L since you didn’t convert Vas to ~2.92808 ft^3, so 624.692*0.3531467 = ~22.06079 ft^3, making Sm and its related dims wrong.

Away, easiest to use Vas in ft^3, then the other dims will work out in inches. That, or use Vas in liters and change the SoS and Sm calculation values to cm if you want a metric design.

GM

Ok, I did find the 2.92808ft^3. Somehow I messed up the rest of the equation. ( in ft^3)(12^3(inches in ft^3))/67.7 If I take 2.90808ft^3 and convert to in I get 5059.7222. What is inches in ft^3? Also the lenght formula seems off. Is 13526.5 a constant#. The lenght /2 seems short at 67.7.

How come you didn’t just use the linked BIB spreadsheet?

Ft^3 = 12”^3 = 12”*12”*12” = 1728”^3

Sl = 22.06469 ft^3*1728”^3 = 38127.784”^3/67.7” = 563.187”^2

The speed of sound [SoS] should be a constant for typical speaker design, but for some reason different programs, technical documents will have varying values. 13526.5”_sec/12” = ~1127 ft_sec or ~ in the middle between the two most extremes. FWIW, until I got on-line, all the docs I’d seen listed 1130 ft_sec, which is ~ what I’ve measured using mil spec calibrated equipment during my working career.

Regardless, the minor differences it makes in typical speaker designs are inaudible and don’t take into account any internal heating unless you take measurements and adjust as required such as for some commercial and prosound apps.

The acoustical path-length is what matters and is a ~1/2 WL of whatever value is put in the ‘Fs’ field, which means it’s tuned to a ¼ WL of Fs = Fs*0.707 or ~35.31 Hz.

Low enough for you? If not, input a lower Fs with the understanding it will put the driver higher up off the floor.

Want to make it smaller? Reduce Vas or Qts as required. Of course less is always less in acoustics, so there will be less of an air cushion for the driver to work against, ergo less power handling down low with a higher roll off if the room’s acoustics don’t help enough.

GM

Last edited:
Zd changes with Fs, lenght. I didnt know you could plug in the specs on the bib cal. chart. Just click on the blank space and enter info. It's alot easier than doing all the cals.
I did learn more doing it that way thought.lol
Sorry for giving you a headache GM.

Last edited:
No problemo, it's not like no one's ever had to 'hold my hand' on a project. What goes around, comes around if you live long enough.

Yeah, it's ~2 ft^3 bigger than mine, though they have a bit bigger footprint at 30" x 24".

So, you going to build them or downscale them somewhat?

GM

They would get used in a 9x12 room. They would be corners. Being that its a small room I'm not sure how well they would work. Might have to stuff the whole lenght. lol. I changed the Vas from 2.92 to 2.0. It changed the dims to 67.5 x 23.5 x 16.5. Whats going to happen?

Hmm, I'm in a ~12 x 13 ft room and I'm thinking that corner loading these might be a bit much in mine, so going a little taller using T.C.'s 138" path-length and reducing Sl to ~398.9" might be a better fit.

Your call of course!

GM

Attachments

• WBAL Betsy-K BIB.gif
    WBAL Betsy-K BIB.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 172
  • WBAL Betsy-K T.C. BIB.gif
    WBAL Betsy-K T.C. BIB.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 182
Footprint would be better for me. 70h x 23.75d x 16.75w. Yes, I need to build something. I've got sims and dims on three MLTL's and the BIB. Might as well build the BIB. It's going to take about the same amount of wood anyway. I've got the Betsy K's.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.