The Purple speaker: an $18, 8" fullrange! - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Wild Burro Audio

Wild Burro Audio DIY full range speakers from Wild Burro Audio Labs

Old 23rd November 2010, 02:55 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

>>> And, my experiments tend to show that the design of the speaker system matters quite a bit more than small details on the driver. It makes some folks happy to spend tons of money on really nice drivers, but often they'd get better performance from a competently designed system built around more modest constituent parts. Just my opinion...

Mine too. I have spent lots of $ on drivers only to be disappointed in the end. An expensive set of drivers in a ported box just doesn't sound like a BIB using drivers costing half or even less. In fact, expensive drivers in BIBs don't always sound better either. I have Fostex 168s ($120) and 165k ($65) and the cheaper drivers sound better to me. Open baffle is another story altogether because they sound totally different than sealed, ported or back horns... so if you like the OB sound no matter how much you spend on the other designs you will enjoy OB more.

Currently i have expensive drivers on open baffle, lol... but the cheaper drivers i have also sound great on OB too.

The purple drivers look really great Paul! The wizzer option is cool too. I wanted to ask if i can order a set of wizzers (large and small) to try with my lovely wizzerless Betsy's... how much for two pair?

Zilla
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wizzerless-betsy.jpg (91.1 KB, 412 views)
File Type: gif betsy-bib.gif (180.9 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg betsy-boomer-2.jpg (37.6 KB, 388 views)

Last edited by Godzilla; 23rd November 2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old 23rd November 2010, 08:04 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Default The Purple speaker: an $18, 8" fullrange!

Thanks for the info I will wait till after the new year, have to find a source to build the cabinets.

Attached you find a picture of one of my cabinets and the Baffle Step Gain simulation prior to building the speakers, I was using a Baffle Step Software similar to the Edge program but find this one a bit more versatile, this software is readily available on the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Single_Speaker.JPG (30.9 KB, 401 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf individual driver response.pdf (84.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 30th November 2010, 08:42 PM   #33
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Default Got mine!

Mine came today - thanks! Looks very nice. Yep, the cone is Hanalei poi purple. Maybe they are made from taro?

Will be awhile before I can use them, but looking forward to it.
Old 30th November 2010, 09:00 PM   #34
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

Question, if trying a phase plug in these, would I still use a whizzer, or leave it of completely?
Old 1st December 2010, 04:37 PM   #35
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

If you want response over 7-8khz (if you are not using a tweeter), you'll need the whizzer. The advantage is that they will be easier to cut as they aren't already attached. I'd pick the whizzer you least want to use and try to cut/fit it first (with no glue). Then you'll be sure to get it right with the "keepers".

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers
Old 1st December 2010, 05:32 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Zilla,

Email sent re: whizzers.

Paul
Old 1st December 2010, 11:48 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Now that a quite a few pairs are out (about 1/3 of my stock gone!), I'd sure love some feedback about the packaging and the whizzer option. This packaging is very different from my normal boxes. It uses 1lb less packing material, for a reduction of about 50%. That means less diesel to transport them (both the packing materials to me and the package to you). Most of the materials are either 100% recycled (the box itself and the peanuts) or reused (the newspaper or other material I use as fill in the top). The tape and tiny zip ties are the only new parts. In addition to the huge eco benefits, it also costs considerably less! The downsides are that it takes me more time to pack them up, says "home depot" on the side (the cheapest recycled boxes I've found), and offers less protection. Anybody seen damage? Have thoughts to share?

What do you think of the whizzer option? I know those of you that have them haven't had them for long, so I expect longer term feedback on this one.

If these are popular changes, I'll consider offering them on future runs of the Betsy and BetsyK.

Paul
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:15 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Email sent.

BTW, Fedex has a bad reputation for destroying things, IIRC. The guys on the Tek oscilloscope yahoo group can tell you all about it.

- keantoken
Old 2nd December 2010, 03:01 PM   #39
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
Email sent.

BTW, Fedex has a bad reputation for destroying things, IIRC. The guys on the Tek oscilloscope yahoo group can tell you all about it.

- keantoken
Hmm, I feel the same way about UPS. At least 80% of the packages I get from them are damaged. They drove a fork lift into the side of a $4000 pair of speakers and denied it was their fault. I guess they weren't packaged to withstand that kind of force, so it was the packagers fault.

In any case, my purple units arrived safe and sound and in record time. Kind if jaw dropping actually. My only gripe (minor) is that the peanuts get stuck inside the frames and are a bit of a hassle to pull out. Maybe put them in a (biodegradable) plastic bag first?

Haven't had time to plug 'em in yet. Hope to have a play moment soon, but I have to negotiate that with a 9 month old....
Old 2nd December 2010, 03:30 PM   #40
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Same here, peanuts inside the frame. No big deal. No damage to the package or drivers at all.
The whizzers were a bit crushed, especially the small ones. They are so light and fragile I don't know how you'd pack them. Maybe in a tiny box?

BTW, I got 2 small, thin whizzers, and 1 medium and 1 large of the thicker ones. Is that correct?

Hide this!Advertise here!