The Purple speaker: an $18, 8" fullrange! - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Wild Burro Audio

Wild Burro Audio DIY full range speakers from Wild Burro Audio Labs

Old 21st November 2010, 12:24 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default The Purple speaker: an $18, 8" fullrange!

Thanks for the info provided I was well aware of the old Altec, Ev's and others having been involved in designing single driver fullrange systems for the last 45 years. The X max of 1.5 mm is not bad and certainly will do for fairly loud listening.

Attached is a design for a 8" fullrange driver to provide a cabinet of 80+ liters which can easily be adjusted to suit the driver and to take care of baffle step issues with out electronics, having build such a cabinet with a 6-1/2" driver, baffle size beeing 15" x 57" with a 2-1/4" at the sides and top of cabinet about 10 years ago and still listening to them maybe it is time to build an 8" the only one size I have not build yet.

I am wondering whether the BetsyK is available without the whizzer and dustcap.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 16x60x2.25_BottomPort-v9.pdf (84.9 KB, 122 views)
File Type: pdf 16x60x2.25_BottomPort-v10.pdf (105.8 KB, 91 views)
Old 21st November 2010, 10:09 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

well done Paul this is real small gem !

I know is hard ,not all can understand what is a FR in OB....

this can wonderfull small system with 2w set amp like 45/46 or 10y ...as 95db rulez!
or Pass F1/F2
Old 21st November 2010, 03:17 PM   #23
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

You bring up a great point. I often have folks asking me about sensitivity and hoping to use a really small amp with the Betsy. I always advise that I use a 3W amp, as do many of my customers. I haven't tried something smaller, in large part because I haven't got one! The extra efficiency of the Purple Speaker might lend itself to things of the 1w variety. I'm thinking of that 3/4W triode amp that is popular. . . can't recall the name. . . Or the S.E.X. amp, or a Decware Zen. The slightly lower Q (compared to the Betsy) maybe work well too, as many smaller tube amps will have highish output impedances. And I do know that technically you'd want more like 100db for amps that small, but again, we're talking near field.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers
Old 21st November 2010, 03:29 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

jpechloe,

That is a nice looking design! At this point, the BetsyK isn't available without the whizzer attached. I could probably get you a pair, but you'd have to pay up front and it could be awhile (a couple of months). I think it would be fairly easy to just cut the whizzer assembly off, if thats what you want. The BetsyK voice coil stands a little proud of the cone, which gives you some room to work. I've got plenty of extra whizzers.

let me know,

Paul
Old 21st November 2010, 09:31 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

diy 6EM7 amp

That is exactly the sort of little tube amp that would mate well with a pair of these! Somebody should buy that, even if you don't get the speakers.

Paul
Old 21st November 2010, 10:55 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

my amp use 6em7 as input/driver stage work fine the second triodeis like a mini 2A3 .... the RCA not coin base sound sweet ...
but my sugggestion is dht output tubes like a 46
Old 21st November 2010, 11:06 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

grrrrr. the freight kills it... Nice units Paul - and congrats on keeping the profit motive at bay!
Old 22nd November 2010, 01:37 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Nicoch, I know you were thinking DHT. I wanted to be inclusive of all budgets and little tube amps. I wish I had some 45/46 action here! The closest I come is my 12B4 pre, and I know that isn't at all the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
grrrrr. the freight kills it...
You just need to round up a few more folks. Shipping isn't that bad spread across four or so pairs!

Paul
Old 22nd November 2010, 07:51 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Well, if anybody else in OZ is interested, post here and we will see what we come up with. Postage to OZ is the issue: I own a Post Office, so getting them distributed around is easy once they are here...
Old 22nd November 2010, 07:57 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

The big whizzers arrived earlier than I anticipated! So, for those that are waiting, I'll ship tomorrow. For those thinking of ordering, I'll be gone from Wednesday through the weekend. So, if you order through late tomorrow night, I should be able to get them off. Otherwise I won't be shipping again until Monday.

Paul

Hide this!Advertise here!