• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

I added 12 caps (220/16 Panasonic FR) to VREF. Big difference. Mandatory IMO. This cured a lot of the harshness in the high/midrange and lack of power in bass. The board should come with these caps inserted at the factory.

Is there a concensus WRT to diminishing returns, in other words how much capacitance is enough with the build in regulators?

Last edited:

lwr

Joined 2003
Paid Member
VREF supplies

I added 12 caps (220/16 Panasonic FR) to VREF. Big difference. Mandatory IMO. This cured a lot of the harshness in the high/midrange and lack of power in bass. The board should come with these caps inserted at the factory.

Is there a concensus WRT to diminishing returns, in other words how much capacitance is enough with the build in regulators?

I too found that increasing the capacitance to VREF did indeed significantly improve the SQ as you describe. I found that powering each the + and - VREF lines directly with batteries was better than that, and with LPS 1.2s was better still.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

lwr

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Did anyone notice an audible improvement from removing the output filtering cap with the balanced outputs (v4 +) or does it only affect the single ended output?

I too noticed a significant SQ improvement in removing the output filtering caps from the single ended output board. However, my old guy eyes are having trouble finding the locations of the output caps on the 1541 balanced output board.

Attached are photos of the 1541 board. If someone will identify the locations of the output filtering caps, I'll remove them and report my findings.

Attachments

• both 1541 channels.jpg
    both 1541 channels.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 349
  • right 1541 channel.jpg
    right 1541 channel.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 356
  • left 1541 channel.jpg
    left 1541 channel.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 347
I too found that increasing the capacitance to VREF did indeed significantly improve the SQ as you describe. I found that powering each the + and - VREF lines directly with batteries was better than that, and with LPS 1.2s was better still.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Soekris DAC: Modding VRef | H i F i D U I N O
This probably contains all the technical discussion there is on this topic.

Which rev are you using? I feel that I'm not getting everything out of my rev4 with no mods implemented, but Soren said many times that caps mods are no longer necessary. He did make paralleling electrolytic caps extremely easy with the vias though in the new versions though.

I too noticed a significant SQ improvement in removing the output filtering caps from the single ended output board. However, my old guy eyes are having trouble finding the locations of the output caps on the 1541 balanced output board.

Attached are photos of the 1541 board. If someone will identify the locations of the output filtering caps, I'll remove them and report my findings.

Also, what's your impression of 1541 vs 1021 SE? Very curious!

See link above. Maybe 3300uF per rail (4 in total)? Soren added an additional 300uF per rail in rev.4 and rev.5 so 3000 more?... But to be fair the lower noise may not be audible.

Sorry the last post was incorrect. 3300 recommendation is for rev1 without resistor mod only. But the measurements do show a 7-10db decrease in noise(?, the measurements did not specify the level at which the white noise is played) in some frequencies going from factory mod + 1000uf to factory mod + 6800uf. Note rev4 should be factory mod + 300uf if I understood it correctly.

If ripple rejection is all there is to the cap mods, I wonder if a good enough power supply or batteries would Reduce the importance of the mods.

Last edited:
Sorry the last post was incorrect. 3300 recommendation is for rev1 without resistor mod only. But the measurements do show a 7-10db decrease in noise(?, the measurements did not specify the level at which the white noise is played) in some frequencies going from factory mod + 1000uf to factory mod + 6800uf. Note rev4 should be factory mod + 300uf if I understood it correctly.

If ripple rejection is all there is to the cap mods, I wonder if a good enough power supply or batteries would Reduce the importance of the mods.

Thanks. I currently use a pretty good switchmode PSU +/-15V that feeds a linear PSU +/- 7V using standard regulators with lot's of capacitance. Before the power lines go into the DAM they travel through chokes to get rid of any RF noise. There is zero hum detectable above the noisefloor on the DACs output.

So the power supplied is pretty good, nevertheless, the added VREF capacitance made a huge and very audible difference. I have recorded before / after samples that show this. It's very obvious in the difference signal as well, a lot more than anything I usually find with doing changes in analog gear.

Interestingly enough, it doesn't seem to matter much for measured harmonic distortion.

I cannot possibly imagine why a crappy ceramic cap would sound bad in SE and not BAL. And it is extremely easy to resolder if you decide you prefer the sound with the caps.

It's an NPO ceramic cap, so not really crappy (and this really depends on application anyway).

It seems most people who removed the cap are not using the balanced outs. I have to use the buffers, so they need to work properly.

You are right about the buffers. They will see a bit more RF without the caps. One of the first things i did was remove the buffers as imho these are even worse than the ceramic caps. Anyway, it is much easier to take the caps out and have a listen than agonise about it.

No so easy when you have two boards stacked with extremely tight pin/pin headers and basically wired together :(

Thanks. I currently use a pretty good switchmode PSU +/-15V that feeds a linear PSU +/- 7V using standard regulators with lot's of capacitance. Before the power lines go into the DAM they travel through chokes to get rid of any RF noise. There is zero hum detectable above the noisefloor on the DACs output.

So the power supplied is pretty good, nevertheless, the added VREF capacitance made a huge and very audible difference. I have recorded before / after samples that show this. It's very obvious in the difference signal as well, a lot more than anything I usually find with doing changes in analog gear.

Interestingly enough, it doesn't seem to matter much for measured harmonic distortion.

You have me really tempted to do the mod.... if the difference is measurable but doesn’t show up in THD+n numbers, what do you think changed...? I’m going to hunt for some good caps now, is FPCAP best? Thanks a lot!

Styroflex of course :)

//

That sounds fancy. How about regular polymer caps? I can get 6.3v 1500uf FPCAP(nichicon) or chemicon caps pretty easily and cheaply to plug directly on the board through the vias. Low ESR at 8-10 mR I think. This would amount to 1500*3+100*3+47=4847uF per rail. Should be enough?...

Edit: Nichicon (NU) has better ESR at 7mR 10*12.5 footprint 2000hrs life. Chemicon (PSC) is 10mR 8/10*11.5 15000hrs (not typo). Maybe I should go with latter?

Last edited:
I read somewhere that 40 mR would be ideal. I would use Panasonic FR, they are good and cheap. They will be in parallel to the already fit ceramic caps, so I doubt that there is any recognizeable benefit of ultra low ESR.

Hifiduino recommenced the FPCAP 10mR for low ESR. But the switches are 0.3R so no point in super low ESR caps. I chose Chemi-con PSC (APSC6R3ELL152MJB5S) mostly for its size (direct plug-in) capacitance (1500uf 6.3v) and durability (tested at 105C 15000hrs). It’s very cheap on Taobao (15 for less than $5 total). I would prefer mouser for peace of mind but don’t have access this month... the Taobao vendor seems legitimate and was rather surprised that I was so worried about fakes...

Last edited: