• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Hi

My board dam1021 arrived a week ago . I contacted Soekris but it looks like he has Christmas break. I have few question regarding this board . So I decided to ask hire.

Does this board have Vrev factory mode(see attach. pisc )
Two resistors are 499R and i dont know what is that white part next to the reg. Shall I leave it or shall put there 0.1 r as described i factory mod.

2 Shail I add cap to existing C15 or go for 16 cap mode or both .

3 Im using only RAW output , so what i gain by removing op amps .

4 Where shall I connect power from shunt reg to J1 or J2. What advantage give connecting to J2 ?

Attachments

• reg.jpg
    reg.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 796
Last edited:
Hi all.
When my dam arrived i couldn't get it to lock my usb input. I uploaded fw 0.99 about two weeks ago, and everything worked perfect.
I haven't had my dam1021 power up for a week now, but today when a was about to play some music it wouldn't lock the usb signal again. I had to reupload the fw again to make it work.
Does the dam1021 drop the fw after some time? Anyone have seen this?

Best Regards// Daniel

Hi all.
When my dam arrived i couldn't get it to lock my usb input. I uploaded fw 0.99 about two weeks ago, and everything worked perfect.
I haven't had my dam1021 power up for a week now, but today when a was about to play some music it wouldn't lock the usb signal again. I had to reupload the fw again to make it work.
Does the dam1021 drop the fw after some time? Anyone have seen this?

Best Regards// Daniel

I don't, in my case (rev1 0.02%), I desolder the onbraod regulators but forget to re-input the 1.2V power, then it behaves similar to your case, the LED blinks but signal can't be locked. Reconnecting 1.2V then it works perfectly.

I am working on the remote control program that Dimdim so kindly provided:
ArDAM1021 Project | Dimdim's Blog
Since the chassis I have only get three buttons with LEDs (one for power, two for on/off), I have to modify the program a bit. After weeks of occasional work (sorry, I am not so good in programming), it goes to a workable and satisfy version.

During the development stage, I found that the DAC sends Lxxx as sample rate, but there's no message from DAC if the signal locked goes to unlocked. We have two states here:
1. unlocked -> locked
2. locked (sample rate A) -> locked (sample rate B), where A can equal to B
3. locked -> unlocked
In current firmware (R0.99), Soren has provided solution to tell state #1 & #2 above, however, when it comes to states #3, I can't be told from the uC.

Could Soren include such feature (by sending L999 or L000) when no signal is being locked? Thanks

****************** NOW TAKING ORDERS ********************

I have been working on a little side project, now it's time to present it for everybody here....

It's a DAC module based on a discrete R-2R sign magnitude DAC design, with FPGA based reclocking and custom digital filters, < 1 ps jitter clock generator, with 28 bit resolution so there is headroom, oversampling up to maybe 3.072 Mhz. Up to 24 bit / 384 Khz input from SPDIF, I2S and USB (via USB to I2S interface board), with isolation on the I2S interface. The board will be very flexible, with digital volume control and filter parameters that can be downloaded, a possibility is also to add digital crossover filters, but that will probably not be ready for first production lots, although the board is firmware upgradable over a simple serial connection.

The basis R-2R network has an output voltage of 1.4V RMS and output impedance of 625 ohm and can therefore drive a lot of things directly.... There is also onboard balanced output drivers that can drive high impedance (>= 300 ohm) headphones directly. The power supply is also onboard, just add a 5W toroid transformer.

It is a small mostly surface mount PCB, and yes, I have working prototypes, see below.... But it's not really something for home assembly, with the FPGA in BGA package and 600 pcs SMT parts.... So yes, if there is enough interest it will go into real production, with sales though two existing online shops in US and EU.

Performance of first prototypes using 0.05% resistors is better than expected, see 1 Khz -1 db and -60 db FFT plots. I believe that the sound quality will be the absolute best, better than any Delta Sigma DAC, in class with discrete DAC's from totaldac and msb technology. And for way way less cost :)

Update on January 4, 2016:

We're out of stock of the 0.01%/0.02% version, we still have a little stock of the 0.05% version.

Boards from next production run will be rev 3 and will be available late January 2016, that batch will only be the 0.02% resistor version (yes, they're back). Rev 3 boards have additional capacitance on the vref circuit. We are looking into making more boards using some 0.01% resistors, they those parts have loong leadtime....

Pricing for new batch, board rev 3 is:

dam1021-02: USD 265 / EUR 238 (0.02% resistor version)

Pricing for board rev 2 is:

dam1021-05: USD 195 / EUR 174 (0.05% resistor version, low stock)
dam1021-12: USD 295 / EUR 263 (0.01%/0.02% resistor version, sold out)

Pricing for board rev 1 is:

dam1021-05: USD 170 / EUR 137 (0.05% resistor version, sold out )
dam1021-02: USD 235 / EUR 190 (0.02% resistor version, sold out)
dam1021-01: USD 325 / EUR 263 (0.01% resistor version, sold out)

Shipping cost and any sales tax and/or other local taxes to be added.

They are available to order though two existing webshop:

dam1021 Product Range - *NEW* - Audio Products - Products for American and Asia markets.
Soekris Europe »  for EU and European markets.

The main website for product and technical information is:

Soekris Engineering, Inc. | Single Board Communication Computers

See also post #901 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...-magnitude-24-bit-384-khz-91.html#post4197094 for a quick drawing with connections.
And post #1108 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...magnitude-24-bit-384-khz-111.html#post4202602 for SPDIF interface drawing.
And great info here https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2015/01/30/building-soekris-r-2r-dac/
Post #1486 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...magnitude-24-bit-384-khz-149.html#post4216998 with filter tools.
Post #3276 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...magnitude-24-bit-384-khz-328.html#post4421518 Firmware revision 0.99 update
Post #3295 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...magnitude-24-bit-384-khz-330.html#post4421780 more info on 0.99
Post #3108 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...magnitude-24-bit-384-khz-311.html#post4392832 Official vref modification
Post #3362 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...magnitude-24-bit-384-khz-337.html#post4425324 More info on vref mods

Anybody can now order the dam1021 R-2R DAC board from the two webshops.

Dear Sir

I have one Ver 1 DAM1021-01 and one Ver 1 DAM1021-05
Can you provide the resistor for -01 to me to upgrade the 05 board?
I want to build the dual mono DAC .
Thanks

What are the current DSD streams possible with the rev2 board with the stock firmware on rev2 board.

Best DSD software player and also if any market ready hardware player for DSD?

current possibility is only through USB?
considering the DIY XMOS DSD DXD 384kHz high-quality USB to I2S/DSD PCB from
XMOS DSD DXD 384kHz high-quality USB to I2S/DSD PCB - DIYINHK

so upto which DSD streams the DAC can accept.

What are the current DSD streams possible with the rev2 board with the stock firmware on rev2 board.

Best DSD software player and also if any market ready hardware player for DSD?

current possibility is only through USB?
considering the DIY XMOS DSD DXD 384kHz high-quality USB to I2S/DSD PCB from
XMOS DSD DXD 384kHz high-quality USB to I2S/DSD PCB - DIYINHK

so upto which DSD streams the DAC can accept.
The DAC cannot accept any kind of DSD stream yet

I agree the fact that it cannot take the direct stream through the optical or spdif but

I mean atleast via the diyinhk xmos usb to i2s receiver?

I mean to say that if the DSD stream is received via the Xmos receiver and gets converted to i2s then will that work?

AFAIK, this is a R2R DAC, which means it can only convert PCM signal.
The word DSD capable means it is possible, doesn't mean it must be able to. (otherwise it would say "PCM capable" as well, right?)

From my layman understanding, the dac has to convert incoming DSD stream into PCM signal first, then it will be converted to analog signal same as PCM signal.

Such conversion can be done internally (by dam1021 firmware) or externally (by some music playback software)

When you play DSD stream to DAC, the original I2S pinout defined for PCM signal will be reused but have another definition. In addition, the source (USB to I2S card) has an extra pin that tells the DAC whether the incoming signal is PCM or DSD. Therefore, the DAC if it is DSD capable, should be able to read that extra pin and switch to corresponding circuit or program code to process the incoming data correctly.

Last edited: