Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz - Page 121 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2015, 01:03 PM   #1201
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Did anyone try with WaveIO?
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 02:26 PM   #1202
Dimdim is online now Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Athens
I made a little video demonstrating how the board handles switching between different sampling rates, both with 0.8 and 0.9 firmware. You can see what the serial console outputs while the changes are being made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxcbBjktgCw

I tested with sampling rates up to 352.8KHz.

Playback chain is Windows Laptop -> Amanero -> DAM1021 -> SE output to preamp.

You will notice that I am not getting any plops, just a tiny 'click'. Later I will try the balanced output straight to my Hypex 400HG amp.
__________________
http://www.dimdim.gr
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 07:43 PM   #1203
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Default Use dam dac for native DSd decoding

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
No, DSD is digital serial signal, a digital lowpass filter in the FPGA convert it to a PCM digital parallel signal. See Direct Stream Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more info on DSD.
Hi Soekris

For DSD decoding, Is it possible to program the dam dac as a simple 1bit pure DSD decoding dac?
No digital filter at all, just use the whole r2r dac as a 1 bit

For example , when dsd signal =1, set all r2r bits to high, when dsd=0, set all r2r bits to low.

2.844mhz should be ok for ur dac right?

Also, u can set the r2r high/low level for bit perfect volume control.

What do you think?

Last edited by xxxbugxxxx; 1st February 2015 at 08:13 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 09:31 AM   #1204
Dimdim is online now Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Athens
I've done a quick A-B test of the dam1021 versus my Buffalo III DAC.

The playback chain was as such:

1) Laptop (i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, etc) running Windows 8.1 with Foobar, ASIO out to Amanero, I2S to dam1021, single ended output to AD797-based SE preamp

2) Squeezebox Touch with EDO firmware connected to Amanero, I2S output to B III w/ IVY III I/V stage (all powered by Salas BiB power supplies), single ended output to AD797-based SE preamp

The preamp was connected to my Hypex 400HG amp through single ended connections. My speakers are the Arcos II speakers.

The levels were matched by ear (I had to lower the Buffalo's output by 2dbs).

The music used was classic rock as well as some pop.

The end result was favorable for the dam1021. It had better dynamics, more detail, and perhaps a little better control of the bass. All in all, I couldn't say that the Buffalo was better in any respect.

Next step will be to compare the DACs using the balanced outputs directly on to my Hypex amp. There the Buffalo will have an advantage due to its true balanced design, so it will be an interesting comparison.
__________________
http://www.dimdim.gr
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 10:02 AM   #1205
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
As I'm not getting any plop's here with my diyinhk usb interface I will procure an amanero for testing, the plops need to, and will be eliminated....
Søren, which DIYINHK interface are you using? Does it require en external psu?
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 10:20 AM   #1206
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianL View Post
Søren, which DIYINHK interface are you using? Does it require en external psu?
Don't know, their standard basis one ? For some reason it didn't have the parts needed to take power from the USB line but have space on the PCB, I had to add those parts (a 3.3V regulator and a couple of passives). It can then supply power to the isolators on the dam1021.
__________________
Søren
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:11 AM   #1207
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Did a bit of a dress rehearsal with a diyinhk
I've no plopping noise either
done no comparisons or critical listening as of yet but it certainly doesn't sound ordinary
I used direct ac in and pc power to the diyinhk i2s and still manages not to sound ordinary
will try amanero next
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 01:15 PM   #1208
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by nige2000 View Post
Did a bit of a dress rehearsal with a diyinhk
I've no plopping noise either
done no comparisons or critical listening as of yet but it certainly doesn't sound ordinary
I used direct ac in and pc power to the diyinhk i2s and still manages not to sound ordinary
will try amanero next
sounds encouraging~
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 02:32 PM   #1209
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimdim View Post
I've done a quick A-B test of the dam1021 versus my Buffalo III DAC.

The playback chain was as such:

1) Laptop (i7, 16GB RAM, SSD, etc) running Windows 8.1 with Foobar, ASIO out to Amanero, I2S to dam1021, single ended output to AD797-based SE preamp

2) Squeezebox Touch with EDO firmware connected to Amanero, I2S output to B III w/ IVY III I/V stage (all powered by Salas BiB power supplies), single ended output to AD797-based SE preamp

The preamp was connected to my Hypex 400HG amp through single ended connections. My speakers are the Arcos II speakers.

The levels were matched by ear (I had to lower the Buffalo's output by 2dbs).

The music used was classic rock as well as some pop.

The end result was favorable for the dam1021. It had better dynamics, more detail, and perhaps a little better control of the bass. All in all, I couldn't say that the Buffalo was better in any respect.

Next step will be to compare the DACs using the balanced outputs directly on to my Hypex amp. There the Buffalo will have an advantage due to its true balanced design, so it will be an interesting comparison.
Curious why you didn't use the same USB source (PC versus touch) for the Amanero module?

At any rate, thanks for the comparison, it gives me some motivation to hurry up and get my dam dac working.

Randy
__________________
My system is here
http://randytsuch-audio.blogspot.com/2005/10/my-system.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 03:30 PM   #1210
Marek is offline Marek  Poland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Katowice
Søren,

what about synchronous mode of dam1021? (external MCLK and I2S signals are synchronous). My I2S source is Amanero slaved to external Ian's XO board (with two Crystek XOs) which reclocks all I2S lines and provides very low jitter MCLK output.
Is it possible to enable this feature in future firmware release?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
e18 DAC - 8 channels at 32bit /384 kHz exa065 exaDevices 30 29th June 2012 05:11 PM
384 Khz DAC? SunRa Digital Source 8 1st October 2009 11:14 PM
24 bit/192 kHz via USB? gentlevoice Everything Else 3 22nd December 2008 06:24 AM
sign magnitude DAC Bernhard Digital Source 0 30th January 2007 01:40 PM
24 bit / 192 kHz Tube DAC questions Overlord Digital Source 4 29th April 2003 05:14 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:26 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Wiki