Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz - Page 113 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2015, 10:22 PM   #1121
soekris is offline soekris  Denmark
diyAudio Member

To me it looks like that IC7 is the I2S driver, it get power via NF9 and C22. Measure on NF9, it there is 3.3V take it from there.
Old 29th January 2015, 12:08 AM   #1122
diyAudio Member

oh carp... parcel is stuck in customs due to problems with documentation.

"The number of packages does not match the invoice, waybill, or label. We're working to resolve this discrepancy."

Given the order is meant to be one box, I'm baffled. a waybill without a box? or more boxes than intended?

ADD: It had been sitting with an exception all morning, but immediately after posting, the UPS site updated to say it's been released from customs.

Last edited by spzzzzkt; 29th January 2015 at 12:15 AM.
Old 29th January 2015, 01:36 AM   #1123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianL View Post
Initial listening impressions of the DAM1021-01.

Disclaimer - I have only been listening to this dac for about an hour, at the most, and not very intensively. No A/B reference testing yet.
My test setup - Squeezebox Touch USB out->Amanero I2S->DAM1021-01 onboard xlr out->Questyle CMA800R solid state headphone amp->Audeze LCD-3 (non Fazor vers.) I consider my LCD-3 rather laid back, which I like. And Iím also normally a tube fan. So now youíre warned.

No distortion whatsoever on low level solo piano music (sustained notes) like my old unipolar r2r dac had.
Very detailed, as in micro details - quite unsuspected from this type of dac.
Sound is quite harsh to my ears - dac probably needs to settle and get some more hours to burn in. Only about 24 hours at the time of listening.
Very up front sound signature, forward, in-your-face picture. Not very relaxed. (Which I quite frankly hate).
Wiiiide sound stage. Not much going on center. Very left/right orientation w. some music, at times it sounds almost as something is a little bit out of fase. Sound coming almost from behind rather than in front.
Focus on upper mid and treble. Less bass and oomph. Which is why I at first didnít bother to try it with my electrostatic Sennheiser HE60 & Stax hybrid amp, as these stats are focused on the mid- & upper region.
A short click is heard when changing between tracks w. different sample rate and the FIFO takes a while to settle thus cutting off the beginning of the track. Sometimes the FIFO makes the music fade in lasting 1 second or so.
Apart from this the timbre of the instruments sounds right w. some air/spacing between instruments. Seperation could be much better though, like r2r dacs normally present.

Okay, so just by chance I swapped in my Senn stats and the Stax amp that has a tube output stage. (balanced input).
Accidentally I played a rock music track by Beck from Guero album (a music genre that not normally suits the Senns IMO). Lo and behold. All of the above impressions didnít apply anymore!
Frequency spectre was much more linear w. a bass punch Iíve seldom heard from this setup. Lovely airy separation between instruments, more holographic like the r2rís Iím used to. More laid back presentation. Quite relaxed.
In short, the whole system was playing MUSIC. Effortlessly.

Is this a synergy thing? Shifting from dynamic headphones(speakers) and solid state to stats and tubes.

Still, itís VERY early days but this dac definitely has got potential.

Is there a default filter selected? Default oversampling & upsampling?
We're you using the same output off of the DAM 1021 in both cases? It seems like it, first you say XLR out, second time balanced out, which is the same, right? I wouldn't expect a big "synergy" difference, since both headlamps are SS. Possibly overloading in the first case? Or impedance issues? In any case, it's great that you got such a "musical" output. I've got my board in now, but still need to set up for input and power, so I'm a few weeks away at my slow pace.
Old 29th January 2015, 02:46 AM   #1124
pooge is offline pooge  United States
diyAudio Member

I see a potentially good demand for an input board to carry various input connectors and associated transformers and passive components.
Old 29th January 2015, 05:50 AM   #1125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spzzzzkt View Post
"The number of packages does not match the invoice, waybill, or label. We're working to resolve this discrepancy."
I am starting to think this translates to: "The package is listed as being part of the shipment, but we have NFI where the physical box actually is. Hopefully one of our staff will find it soon". Package was meant to be delivered this morning but now says "Scheduled delivery information is not available at this time. Please check back later."

They are nicknamed OOOOOPS with very good reason. grrrrr.

Last edited by spzzzzkt; 29th January 2015 at 05:59 AM.
Old 29th January 2015, 06:43 AM   #1126
diyAudio Member

Can anyone ID the rectifier diode part number?
Old 29th January 2015, 06:52 AM   #1127
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soekris View Post
I have a new version of the FPGA firmware where the mute function should work much better, could somebody with the Amanero USB interface please try it ?

1) Download and unzip attached file 1021fpga_090.zip
2) Connect the dam1021 serial port to a PC serial port with a terminal program (I use HyperTerminal), set for 115200,n,8,1, no handshake.
3) Enter uManager on dam1021 by typing "+++" followed by a 1 second pause.
4) Type "download" and start sending file from the terminal program using 1K X-modem protocol.

Power cycle when done, you can verify by entering uManager again, FPGA revision should then be 0.9.
Did you fix the swapped left / right channel issue? Or maybe you want to change the drawing / silk?

//
Old 29th January 2015, 07:25 AM   #1128
diyAudio Member

Assuming I use a DC power supply, I guess I need 2,5W for each of the symmetric supply voltages and 5W overall?

Thanks
Sven

Last edited by Abraxas336; 29th January 2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 29th January 2015, 10:44 AM   #1129
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Did you fix the swapped left / right channel issue? Or maybe you want to change the drawing / silk?

//
What left/right issue ? I believe I got the channels right, I did check....
Old 29th January 2015, 10:48 AM   #1130
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas336 View Post
Assuming I use a DC power supply, I guess I need 2,5W for each of the symmetric supply voltages and 5W overall?

Thanks
Sven
The positive supply draw about 3 times as much current as the negative, in my test here I have around .18A / 0.06A at 10V input, total about 2.4W, the current is almost independent of input voltage.

Hide this!Advertise here!