• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First One - mosFET amplifier module

Hi LC,

The offset of one channel is at 30 mV after half an hour. Can I adjust it by turning tr1 ?

Since I am about to press button 'add to cart', what would you suggest:
one SMPS3kA400 or two SMPS1200A400 ?

Congratulation for this great amp. !!!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Hi Theodosis

DC offset as you measured now can be result of DC component present at the preamp's output, adding itself to the First One output DC offset.

To check the cause, disconnect preamp from the amp and shorten the First One's inputs to see the real DC offset of amp itself. If it's in the range of +/-10 mV than leave it as it is, otherwise read the last chapter of the user's manual to correct it to zero. Output DC component is always measured or trimmed with amp's input shorted in this way we simulate zero DC present at the input and low impedance of the source, that's mandatory.

Buy two SMPS1200A400 and connect them as per sch in post #838.

Regards, L.C. ;)

SIM roughly signal presented input at FO / NC400.
Signal generator output z set to 1K all plots for simulating preamp, and ac cap value just a guess.
Squarewaves (50Hz) and group delay speed at lows could be done equal for both amps by using ten times bigger cap when used with FO, for amplitude F3 will equal too but dB total level into FO heavier 10K load verse 100K load NC400 still be lesser, influenced by source having 1K z out.

Or reducing the cap 10x on nc400 and then compare if the bass is the same. Just for testing purposes.

Let us know if anyone decides to try.

Igor

Hello,

Tell me if I am wrong : of what i understood use one or two SMPS1200A400 give almost the same SQ but using one gives less power. So if the power is the only issue why don't use one SMPS3kA400 instead of two SMPS1200A400 ? It gives more power and cost less (1*240€ vs 2*150€) ...

Is there any downside of using a SMPS3kA400 ?
Thanks

Hello,

Tell me if I am wrong : of what i understood use one or two SMPS1200A400 give almost the same SQ but using one gives less power. So if the power is the only issue why don't use one SMPS3kA400 instead of two SMPS1200A400 ? It gives more power and cost less (1*240€ vs 2*150€) ...

Is there any downside of using a SMPS3kA400 ?
Thanks

Hi Voysto

No power level issue here, dual mono using two SMPS1200A400 simply gives better sonics. Look to the post #838 for the details.

The topology was tested in three systems with consistent results.

Regards, L.C. :)

.....I better look for a different solution.....
Okay better spec always welcome and maybe pay back, but certainly you can give a try bits pieces you already have. That setup was approved over at VSSA thread, and input seems same (FO verse VSSA input rated by looking at FO pictures). Own experience <600ohm source into 10Kohm a 10K pot between can sound wonderfull.

I could try the SQ difference between 10k pot between DAC (approx. 50 Ohm output impedance) and FO in comparison with DAC directly. But if the outcome of this comparison is likely to be in favour of no pot, I will look for a solution in that direction.

In my DAC I can quite easily adapt volume control before line stage. :)

2 Pcs. SMPS1200A400 ordered up! :)

Mark.

Last edited:
Based on the experience with VSSA (the same thing exactly minus the emitter follower drivers) passive volume is a definite no-no as far as sound quality goes. A 1k driving impedance also proved much inferior to 300ohms. I am also unhappy about this but the final result is very much worth some rethinking of the volume control/preamp.

Btw one of my FOs is also up and running - throughout the range improvement over the VSSA and especially in the bass region. Looking forward to try bridging soon.

Running in for now. I am thinking about SMPS dual supply. Hmmm.

Attachments

• IMG_7057.JPG
    IMG_7057.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 684
Strangely, cannot get it running hum free with a shared between the channels linear supply... the strange part is that the VSSA had no probs.

No 3-rd wire ground connection, or chassis ground are used and the two channels are connected to the exact same points to the PS. Once the input grounds get tied together inside the preamp - hum. One of my preamps has a transformer coupled output which makes possible for separate left/right channel ground connections. Unsurprisingly, it is the only source which is entirely hum free with the FO.

My current setup is only meant to test if 4 modules are best utilised as a two channel balanced/bridged amp or a 4 channel bi-amp. Once this gets answered it will probably end up as a dual mono. Still, baffled and perplexed about the ground loop sensitivity.