• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

My ES9018 DAC/Amp/Controller..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi RobFreak,

1. Is it possible to change the font of the front panel?

I think you mean the back panel. For some reason the font looks messed up on protocase's 3D CAD program. The actual font will look much better.

2. Is it possible to add IR input for remote control?
The front panel does have a small hole with a 2.5mm radius for the IR detector.

3. Is it possible to add atleast one optical SPDIF input?
There's two optical S/PDIF inputs on the back panel.

4. Whats the price for everything except the case?
I'm selling the enclosure at cost so without it the price would be $1075.00

Hi RobFreak,

1. Is it possible to change the font of the front panel?

I think you mean the back panel. For some reason the font looks messed up on protocase's 3D CAD program. The actual font will look much better.

2. Is it possible to add IR input for remote control?
The front panel does have a small hole with a 2.5mm radius for the IR detector.

3. Is it possible to add atleast one optical SPDIF input?
There's two optical S/PDIF inputs on the back panel.

4. Whats the price for everything except the case?
I'm selling the enclosure at cost so without it the price would be $1075.00

I must be super blind for not noticing the OPT SPDIF. I have not read the entire thread, sorry for that, but are you releasing the sourcecode for the µC? I am also considering replacing some controls with a clickable encoder. Im honestly not a big fan of push buttons, unless they are irreplaceable for the specific use-case.

Great effort and good pricing!

I guess some might want to view a clearer image of the individual digital and analog boards? Particularly the SPDIF input and the I/V-AMP2 boards.
I like your Amanero isolation and I2S Sync/Async input implementation, one of the best that I have saw. :)

Hi RobFreak,

I'm not planning on making the source code available but if you need any minor modifications I'd be happy to look into it. I used the push buttons because I felt that it made easier to scroll through and select the different control settings plus I also like the low profile the switches provide.

Al

Hi rredline,

Attached is couple pics of my IV_Amp2, one with Panasonic SMD thin film resistors and the other with through hole Vishay PTF56 resistors. The OP-Amps are LME49990s, there's five on top and bottom. I'll try to get you a pic of the S/PDIF board sometime this weekend.

Al

Attachments

• CIMG2524.JPG
    CIMG2524.JPG
    502.2 KB · Views: 482
  • CIMG2523.JPG
    CIMG2523.JPG
    304.5 KB · Views: 469
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to make sure that everybody understands that the Group Buy is not just for a stereo DAC, it can be multichannel as well. You can select from 4, 6, or 8 output channels. The number of inputs is also selectable. So If you want just a USB input without the S/PDIF inputs that's fine. Or if the baseline price for a stereo unit with all the bells and whistles is too expensive, the Amanero USB input, the I2S/DSD board, and the Amanero re-clocker can be left out and added later. It's $300.00 savings with just the S/PDIF inputs. I'll also add in additional discounts if more then one I/V_Amp2 or DAC board is ordered.

Honestly, I'm not very good at sales and all the audio lingo, but I know I've designed a very good diy friendly product that I really want share with everyone. I really hope that I get the opportunity. Thanks to everyone who has supported my effort over the last year, I really really appreciate it.

Tomorrow I'll be sending out the new enclosure drawings to protocase to be manufactured. It's 3 to 4 day turn around so I should have it by early the following week.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Al

Last edited:
Hi Al
Nice to see you are all ready with your DAC. I am certainly thinking about purchasing one.

If you can't change the title then maybe you could start a fresh one with reference to this thread. It would be nice to see a summarised description of the DAC showing design features and benefits, pictures, options and pricing. I know most of the info is spread through this thread, but it would be good to see all the important info on one page. Also, for people who are viewing this thread for the first time, it would help them understand the flexibility and quality of your design, without reading all the pages here. Just a thought. :)

Jeremy

True reference ESS DAC.

Hi Al,

Congratulations on your mighty effort and superb results, your work looks immaculate.
Might I suggest an appropriate title for your new group buy thread could be something along the lines of "Flexible reference ESS DAC modules".

At the moment I am still using a TP Buffalo 3 as a reference but maybe after Christmas I could be tempted...Your DAC with a LiPo battery power supply....?

All the best
Derek.

Thanks Jeremy and Derek for the great advice and the support. I really appreciate it.

I've been working on a manual but it's been really slow since it's not my favorite thing to do and I've been busy with other things. But now that the design work is pretty much completed I really have to focus on getting it done. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Al

Last edited:
Hi Everybody,

Finally after two weeks of working with Protocase.com the enclosure is in production. It's scheduled for completion by the 27th so I should have it by the first week in December. Attached is the artwork for the front and back panel.

I also decided..and you'll see it on the enclosure front panel to name my DAC "Blackbird". I figured that I'm far enough along that the DAC deserves a name and why not a beautiful singing bird like the Blackbird. Of course some may think of the plane or the Beatles song.

I've also had some request to sell individual DAC and the I/V + Filter boards. So I'll do just that for anybody whose interested in building their own stereo or multichannel DAC supplying their own power supplies, controller, and enclosure. The MCU section on the DAC board does support an I2C input port that can be connected to any controller like an Arduino. I'll make all the boards available individually.

I'm currently working on the manual but I'm nowhere near finished. I figure I have another two or three weekends to go, but in the meantime I'll attach some of the diagrams as I create them for the manual illustrating the different board I/O's and features to help clarify things. I'll start by attaching a diagram of the DAC and I/V + Filter board.

As far as the GB, it's on. I've had several members PM me expressing interest with some very good questions but only one so far has committed to the GB. I hope they all join in. I'm 100% committed to making this work and making it fun for everybody. I think I've designed a very flexible platform that can go in many different directions making it ideal for diy but I can't get there alone.

If anybody wants to join the GB or has any questions please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Al

Attachments

• FrontRearSilk.jpg
    FrontRearSilk.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 688
  • DAC_IO.jpg
    DAC_IO.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 688
  • IV_Amp.jpg
    IV_Amp.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 672
Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to attach a new pic of the front panel with the some new changes based on some very good tips from diyAudio member. Thanks! The changes are in the front name, the name font, and letter coloring. The coloring is something closer to silver than white to reduce the contrast just a bit. Thanks again for the tips. I also attached a pdf file showing the enclosure in 3D.

There's been some questions on the whether my power supply modules support 230VAC. The answer is yes. The transformers that I'm using for both the DAC and I/V power supply modules support both 115VAC/230VAC power inputs. I have power supply boards for each power input.

If anybody has any questions please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Al

Attachments

• FrontRearSilk.jpg
    FrontRearSilk.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 596
  • ESDAC_Enclosure Rev (-).PDF
    703.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.