• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

My ES9018 DAC/Amp/Controller..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Congratulations and good luck

Hi Al,

Congratulations on finishing your design, it looks like a true high end reference for the ESS chipset and offers superb flexibility with meticulous attention to detail and build quality.
I really hope you get some commercial success to reward all your time, effort and money, my I please offer some thoughts on the best way to generate some sales?

In order to break into a small niche market (all high end DAC’s are niche) you must have independent reviews and comparisons with other top class DAC’s, this will take time and or money i.e. if you only have one demo unit that will need to be loaned out / shipped to appropriate reviewers it will take a long time.
With say, 4 or 5 demo units you could get all the reviews you need within approx. 6 months, assuming a 6 week turnaround per review.

As a DIY manufacturer you won’t be “qualified” to be reviewed in the mainstream AV press, this is a blessing in disguise!
You can get real credibility and market endorsement from recording studios, music producers and mixing engineers. These guys are not bothered about brand / marketing hype….All they care is about is the highest performance and top build quality (reliability).

Most Pro audio / musicians are a lot more approachable than the insecure demi gods who call themselves reviewers and dominate mainstream AV publications.

If you succeed in selling 5 to 10 units to top studio’s / independent producers / musicians, this will open up a key market….High end DAC manufacturers.
These guys spend a lot of money buying competitors models to test / reverse engineer, so you can offer them a product that is independently proven by top music professionals (assuming the reviews are positive!) to be superior to leading brands “X,Y and Z”....If they can beat your units performance they will then have the best ESS based DAC....

Your Denver audio club is a great start and if you have some more units to send to the other big audio clubs you could gather quite a following….Only a very small % of DIY club / forum members will have the money for high end kits, but even 0.1% of the million plus members (top 3 DIY sites alone) will still keep you busy!

Hope this helps and once again all the very best of luck and sorry if I am going on about stuff you already know!
Cheers
Derek.

Hi Derek and All,

Thanks Derek for the great advice and the overall post. You're right, I have thought about some of your points but it's nice to know that we're on the same page. I'll see how things work out at Mike's (MisterRogers) 'mini meet' in Denver and we'll go from there.

In the meantime I'll continue working on the DAC adding the headphone section and working on my XMOS design. If anybody would like to see anything else added to the Blackbird DAC please feel free to chime in.

Before I go, I have to throw out a Big Big Thank You to Mike (MisterRogers) for taking the time out of his busy schedule to help me promote the Blackbird DAC. He's been great.

If you live in the Denver area and are curious about how the Blackbird DAC sounds, please contact Mike and join him at the 'mini meet' sometime in March.

Best regards,

Al

Does the headphone output taken from the single ended section ?
As an headphone junky, It could be nice to have the option to have the option to use output of the raw balanced output (bypassing the output resistors) to a XLR4p connector.

The drawback is that having the choice between 1/4" jack and XLR4p nearly require the use of "standard" d-panel, which may not visually suits everyone tastes.

Hi GourouLubrik ,

No, the headphone output is not taken from the DAC's single ended outputs. The headphone section has a completely separate circuit that includes the LME49990 on the front-end connected to a LME49600 for the outputs. The LME49990 inputs are taken from the DAC's balanced outputs.

It is possible to use the DAC's balanced outputs (resistors bypassed) to drive headphones with lighter loads like the HE-500 but I'd have to replace the LME49990 with something like a ADA4898-1.

Thanks for the question.

Best regards,

Al

Hi guys, any update? How did the Denver meet go?
The headphone output seems like a good idea. Like Gouroulubrik, I think a balanced headphone output (4-pin XLR) in addition to single-ended could be a very nice extra.
Keep us posted!

AAK, did you find the time to try my suggestion of using the ADA4898-1 in the I/V stage? I would be very curious to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
Hey - I'll chime in with a 'partial' update :)

The Denver meet had to be pushed out a bit; there's a significant SoCal meet going on this weekend that was conflicting with the available time/schedules of our local audiophiles. I'm still working to lock down a time that works for everyone - hopefully in the next few weekends.

Meanwhile, a Blackbird DAC was sent to a good friend that owns/runs a very popular audio company for measurements. He owns some very expensive measurement gear, and we wanted more accurate measurements. With that 'tease', I'll leave Al to share the results :)

Hey - I'll chime in with a 'partial' update :)

The Denver meet had to be pushed out a bit; there's a significant SoCal meet going on this weekend that was conflicting with the available time/schedules of our local audiophiles. I'm still working to lock down a time that works for everyone - hopefully in the next few weekends.

Meanwhile, a Blackbird DAC was sent to a good friend that owns/runs a very popular audio company for measurements. He owns some very expensive measurement gear, and we wanted more accurate measurements. With that 'tease', I'll leave Al to share the results :)

Looking forward to the measurements.

Hi Everybody,

After a much-needed break I’m back and ready to try again. To the diyAudio members that have been patiently waiting over the last few months - a Big Thank you for your PM and continued support. After more than two years working nights and weekends nearly non-stop on this project I just needed to step back and take a breather and regroup.

I’ve created a thread on the group buy forum making everything I’ve worked on to this point available including individual boards and fully assembled units. The GB for any item starts off with a minimum of 5 units. Here’s the link.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...channel-es9018-dac-group-buy.html#post4394859

If you have any question please let me know.

Best regards,

Al

So here are some measurements from MisterRogers good friend that owns a very popular audio company. The measurements of my Blackbird DAC were taken from a Stanford Research SR1 audio analyzer using the original I/V design. The last THD pic is from my new IV_1 with the headphone section added. I made some minor layout changes that appear to have lowered THD some compared to the original I/V board design.

The first THD pic is at a sample rate of 44.1Khz, then 96.0Khz, 192.0Khz, and 10Khz at 44.1Khz. The last pic of the new IV_1 is at a sample rate of 96.0Khz taken using my modified EMU-0404.

Attachments

• 1k_THD_44.1Khz.gif
    1k_THD_44.1Khz.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 816
  • 1k_THD_96.0Khz.gif
    1k_THD_96.0Khz.gif
    16.7 KB · Views: 802
  • 1K_THD_192Khz.gif
    1K_THD_192Khz.gif
    16.7 KB · Views: 801
  • 10k_THD_ 44.1Khz.gif
    10k_THD_ 44.1Khz.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 791
  • Blackbird_IV1HP_THD.png
    Blackbird_IV1HP_THD.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 790
ADA4898 test

Hey Everyone,

I got around to assembling the new IV_2 board this week for the ADA4898 and testing it on Friday and everything checked out Ok. No oscillations, square waves look great, THD looks great, temperature is about 55C at +/-12V which is within a comfortable range. Unfortunately the solder mask didn't cover the vias underneath the op-amp entirely so I had to use some small thermal pads cut to size to prevent any shorts.

So I moved on to the listening test comparing two Blackbird DACs, one with an IV_1 that uses the LME49990 and the other with the new IV_2 board with the ADA4898. I attached THD plots for both DACs to compare. The first plot is of DAC one with the LME49990 and the second with the ADA4898. As you can see THD for both op-amps is basically the same.

So after listening to both DACs with a variety of different music the LME49990 just overall sounded better than the ADA4898. I wouldn't say it was a significant difference but enough to be noticeable. The sound-stage seemed wider, voices and instruments sounded clearer, just more lively. I'm not sure if the ADA4898 has a break-in period but I'll try listening some more later today.

An update on the GB. The GB is a go. I'm currently awaiting payment from several members. The GB will remain open until I start ordering components. I figure for at least another week.

Best regards,

Al

Attachments

• IV_1_LME49990_THD_1Khz.png
    IV_1_LME49990_THD_1Khz.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IV_2_ADA4898_THD_1KHz.png
    IV_2_ADA4898_THD_1KHz.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 122
Hey Everyone,

I got around to assembling the new IV_2 board this week for the ADA4898 and testing it on Friday and everything checked out Ok. No oscillations, square waves look great, THD looks great, temperature is about 55C at +/-12V which is within a comfortable range. Unfortunately the solder mask didn't cover the vias underneath the op-amp entirely so I had to use some small thermal pads cut to size to prevent any shorts.

So I moved on to the listening test comparing two Blackbird DACs, one with an IV_1 that uses the LME49990 and the other with the new IV_2 board with the ADA4898. I attached THD plots for both DACs to compare. The first plot is of DAC one with the LME49990 and the second with the ADA4898. As you can see THD for both op-amps is basically the same.

So after listening to both DACs with a variety of different music the LME49990 just overall sounded better than the ADA4898. I wouldn't say it was a significant difference but enough to be noticeable. The sound-stage seemed wider, voices and instruments sounded clearer, just more lively. I'm not sure if the ADA4898 has a break-in period but I'll try listening some more later today.

An update on the GB. The GB is a go. I'm currently awaiting payment from several members. The GB will remain open until I start ordering components. I figure for at least another week.

Best regards,

Al

Al,

I'd say at those levels we are most likely seeing a lot of the EMU's ADC
distortion and noise. I have the 1212M with higher spec AKM ADC and even
it would only have slightly lower noise but similar distortion components.

Job well done - exceptional performance.

WRT LME49990, it has reputation of being a very good sounding opamp.

T

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.