• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier

OMG my dear fellows so far I have counted 74 PCBs, requests from PM included. :faint:

Suppose 100 PCBs is the right number for the start, hopefully all the requests are firmly confirmed, otherwise I'll stay alone with a lot of PCBs on the stock. :xfingers:

The silks (top & bottom) done, parts marked, tomorrow I'll make final check all the way to the last detail and than VSSA PCB will be ready for a production. :cool:

Without any doubt I'll stick to ALF08NP16V5 as for this I guarantee you exceptional performance and perfect sound. As soon as I get some info from producer, will let you know. Initial idea remains, to offer PCB plus semiconductors together in the package. :up:

You are the man! What are your thoughts on using a SMPS with shielding rather than toroids and rectifiers? It's what I am doing in my JLH build due to simplicity and space savings. But for VSSA, your word is gold.

Thanks again for your work

You are the man! What are your thoughts on using a SMPS with shielding rather than toroids and rectifiers? It's what I am doing in my JLH build due to simplicity and space savings. But for VSSA, your word is gold.

Thanks again for your work

That is exactly what I was planning for the next step. SMPS is a very good choice for VSSA since ripple frequency is app. 200 kHz/10 mVpp unloaded, that's at least what I measured from the Hypex 600 W SMPS rails. As long as your SMPS will give 6 Ap or more output current at +/- 45 Vmax that's fine. Low Zout is what it counts here and SMPSs are the future that's for sure. Also VSSA + SMPS could be assembled in a small low profile case. :up:

VSSA PCB design finally finished today, files already sent to production facility. :cool:

There's all together 50 SMD parts present, 31 on the top and 19 on the bottom side of PCB. Sizes of SMD resistors are 1206 (3216) 0,5 W and 2010 (5025) 1 W, SMD capacitors are of 1206 (3216) size only, all 50 V and there's also three SOT23 semiconductors. Rest of the parts are standard through hole types, four 6,3 mm faston blade connectors and three M3 screws. ;)

VSSA PCB is a good learning ground for the ones never assembled SMD PCBs yet. It is a good mixture of standard and SMD parts on a small area, because of its size it's easy to manipulate with and rotate when soldering. So quite handy for assembling. :)

LAzy,
What SMD do you recommend. From what I understand, Susumu is popular. I used Vishay TNPW recently, as they are extremely low noise.

First two PCBs assembled have mostly low noise Vishay SMD resistors, Murata capacitors, pf range all RF grade, others KEMET and Panasonic.

For 10 uF Vishay is recommended, 2200 uF/10 V in feedback loop Panasonic or Nichicon, also the same with bigger elcos, PSU the same.

Mosfet is the one and only ALF08NP16V5 or there's some replacement present there in the universe. :D

I am becoming fascinated with Lazy Cats SSA design innovations I figure this new circuit has truly adapted the norm “less is more” technology. Fewer parts count more capabilities. Is the design heading into miniaturization? Utilizing SMDs ?

Shaan’s vero board point to point combo assembly is truly an art form in DIY amplifier construction. I was amazed with his remarkable skills, I also am a DIY fanatic, and I always build it myself. I have seen offerings of PCB design in the course of the whole thread but none has shared the bottom copper for home etching. I understand KITS is in the offering, but I guess I will be doing a Layman’s job, I was wondering if the VSSA could also be offered to DIYers who are experiencing difficulties ordering abroad from their part of the world (call it custom related, financial matters or even timeframe). The circuit that uses 2Sk1058/2SJ162 was I think cost wise, the most affordable and easiest to build.

All I am saying is that, will there be a PCB files to be offered as DIY for home etching? So that we could also feel and hear the “magic” that this VSSA possesses. That is all.

Thank You!

Hallo LC,
great work - this little big amp!!! Before signing for 4 boards,
how thick will be the copperplating of the PCBs?
regards ;)

Thanks Felix. :cheers:

2 mm FR4 double side plate has 15-20 um basic copper thickness, on top of that some 55-60 um will be added in a process of copper metallizing, so all together 70-80 um of copper on each side-layer. Since the tracks are very short and the ones conduct output current wide enough, that is just optimal. :)

Hi abetir :wave:

I know one side layer vero boards are very popular since all the process can be made at home, but currently I'm not planning to design such a PCB. Along this thread few single layer PCBs were already presented, also with popular 2SJ/SK mosfets. :rolleyes:

What we are dealing here strictly follows few basic rules of designing an amplifier, short tracks, optimal layout in almost P2P manner, simple topology but not simplest than optimal, latest technology of discrete parts available, all combined, results in a high bandwidth, low distortions, great output current transients, high PSRR - overall quality. Because everything is so small, 65% of a credit card, it is suitable to send anywhere to taste what can be achived with low costs, especially compared to costly hi-end gear. Also I think when custom service guys will see few parts and VSSA PCB, they'll accept an explanation that material is intended for educational purposes of youngsters in a school, at their technical education classes. :Present:

Hi Sir,

That was pretty quick..:) The reason that I have asked was because I and my co-member in our local audio forum was thinking of presenting the VSSA, and we were discussing about the availability of the 5 pin ALF fet, coz it looks exotic :D and this could cause "drawbacks" from potential builders in our place but we will find that out soon. The plan is in progress...thank you for your quick reply...:)

I was wondering if the VSSA could also be offered to DIYers who are experiencing difficulties ordering abroad from their part of the world (call it custom related, financial matters or even timeframe). The circuit that uses 2Sk1058/2SJ162 was I think cost wise, the most affordable and easiest to build.

Hi abetir. :wave:

Thanks for the kind words. My humble P2P job with VSSA was a success and if it encourages others to build superfast amps on veroboard without worring about any ill effects then it's a worthwhile effort.

There will be a new thread with (yet another) layout of my new VSSA peeceebee with generic all throuh-hole parts and least headaches, for all my fellow diy-ers who might find it interesting, to etch for themselves.

Keep an eye on the index. ;)