• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier

Hi Sir,

That was pretty quick..:) The reason that I have asked was because I and my co-member in our local audio forum was thinking of presenting the VSSA, and we were discussing about the availability of the 5 pin ALF fet, coz it looks exotic :D and this could cause "drawbacks" from potential builders in our place but we will find that out soon. The plan is in progress...thank you for your quick reply...:)

I really agree. Just stick to the design on the part that is hard to get is probably discourage the builders. Another issue might be serviceability, even if we can find the part for the first build, because of unforeseen issues if this part fails people don't know what to do with this board. If its not too hard, just adding the option 2sk/2sj parts encourage more people of jump in.

I dissagree here, the same can be said for an amp having LME49830 voltage driver, exotic part hardly replacable when service is needed.
Look from another perspective, ALF mosfet is very good for audio purposes, even more than other laterals, which are BTW to be honest also not very easy to find/buy. But here we have, all of us audio fans, great opportunity to order and keep ALFETs on the market. Best thing is, it is purely original part, genuine lateral mosfet made according tight specs, not made in some questionable production lines. So I see this as a good way to support producer to invest and to make fine parts for us in the future. :up:

I can speak in favor of the alfet laterals, they are superb mosfets and I think the dual part is very interesting. I have a headphone amp planned with it. as mentioned, just buy a spare or 2. these devices are actually very rugged as well.

tghat being said, while its a good idea to support the ALFET parts, you would simply be ensuring that these particular parts are continued including linear audio parts in general (as opposed to switching). but SEMELAB is pretty unlikely to ever go out of business, bloody huge company

Last edited:
I dissagree here, the same can be said for an amp having LME49830 voltage driver, exotic part hardly replacable when service is needed.
Look from another perspective, ALF mosfet is very good for audio purposes, even more than other laterals, which are BTW to be honest also not very easy to find/buy. But here we have, all of us audio fans, great opportunity to order and keep ALFETs on the market. Best thing is, it is purely original part, genuine lateral mosfet made according tight specs, not made in some questionable production lines. So I see this as a good way to support producer to invest and to make fine parts for us in the future. :up:

Only difference here is you cannot replace/substitute LME49830 with any other part, but here we can atleast substitute ALF with 2sk/2sj probably with a bit of compromise in performance.

better get over that quick if you are just starting before you let it turn into a big irrational thing too like so many do. Most are convinced its going to be much harder than it actually is.

sure some SMD stuff simply isnt hand solderable, but thats not whats under discussion. just get some good tweezers and if need be (if the eyes are getting a bit past their prime) get a 4x magnifier; it'll serve you well, because SMD will get more and more dominant and more difficult to avoid.

its not just to save money, the lowest noise BJTs available are afaik SMD, the lowest noise jfets available (BF862) are SMD, the highest performance resistors are SMD (ASMP SMD zfoils) the highest performance decoupling caps are SMD etc etc. small size and very low inductance is a huge win for audio parts

easy rework is not to be discounted for a beginner either.

Last edited:
Hi guys :wave:

Let me be clear, VSSA is among simplest most capable and good sounding little discrete amps ever. If possible use exact parts from sch post #301, for that is what I guarantee it will pleased each and everyone of you. And please, less talk more build is my advice, no regrets. :cheers:

P.S. I assembled SSA (all possible variants), TSSA (prototype), CSA (final PCB), VSSA (all possible variants) and to some sceptics, all these are stable reliable builts. ;)

Hi Lazy Cat. How is the SQ compared with the Hypex Ncore NC400 + SMPS600 monoblocks that you built in October 2012?

Hi Lazy Cat. How is the SQ compared with the Hypex Ncore NC400 + SMPS600 monoblocks that you built in October 2012?
As it is hard to get comments on this subject by L.C. ;-), he said for the first SSA that it was same signature, with suble differences, some in advantages for one, some for the other. Once CSS added, that it was a class upper, and for VSSA, that it is the best sounding amp he has ever build.

It is simply more transparent, deeper insight both in soundstage imaging as well as in details. Bass is more controlled, better defined and the hights are more natural sounding, revealing more resolution, differentiating recordings more clearly. No brainer, music only, so better in all respect. It is maybe bizzare info for some looking solely into material world facts, but that's the fact and six transistors only in VSSA works like charm. :cloud9:

As it is hard to get comments on this subject by L.C. ;-), he said for the first SSA that it was same signature, with suble differences, some in advantages for one, some for the other. Once CSS added, that it was a class upper, and for VSSA, that it is the best sounding amp he has ever build.

Exactly Esperado, good memory. :up:

SSA was not better, nor NC400, quality parameters were equally devided among both, but with VSSA here's no doubt at all, clear winner. :yes:

...VSSA.... the best sounding amp he has ever build.....

So it appears that Gaborbela's statement that the amp he built ( 20 year old design ) was the best he has ever heard,appears to be validated. The VSSA is basically the same amp.
Would be interesting to see how the old one was laid out . Today's implementation could possibly improve on the old design. One will have to try them out to see if there is any audible improvement over the older simplistic design. Another DIY challenge !;)

So it appears that Gaborbela's statement that the amp he built ( 20 year old design ) was the best he has ever heard,appears to be validated. The VSSA is basically the same amp.
Would be interesting to see how the old one was laid out . Today's implementation could possibly improve on the old design. One will have to try them out to see if there is any audible improvement over the older simplistic design. Another DIY challenge !;)

They're not the same, here we have CCS supplying input bias current plus ALF mosfet plus special layout, huge differences speaking of SQ. :yes: