• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SB Acoustics Satori Monitor

Joachim,
Just want to be sure, but is post #662 the final crossover design. I have built Jeff's kit with a similar shape and may eventually try your crossover. I also wanted to make sure that Net 1 is for the tweeter. THe absence of a cap is throwing me. I am new to speakers.

Attachments

• day 3.jpg
    day 3.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 2,224
Jeff's version sounds excellent. They throw a great soundstage and do really well down low considering it is a bookshelf. We plan on crossing them to a 10", but were thinking of crossing at baffle step, which would have the side benefit of increasing sensitivity. What is you r opinion on this, Joachim? Would you cross at baffle step with a 10" underneath in a Wilson Sophia style arrangement, or would you leave it monitor style and cross to a sperate sub down a little lower?

In Jeff's writeup, you can see distortion starting to rise right about where baffle step would begin to occur. Based on what I have heard, I just want to make sure that this midwoofer is free to perform at its highest potential. I would suspect that if you relieve the Satori of the excursion necessary to reproduce those lower frequencies, the performance gain in the midrange would be worth the effort.

I whould use it on stands with a separate sub. That requires a rather low crossover, preferably lower then 100Hz with a 4th order rolloff.
Of cause something like a Watt-Puppy can be made. Then the sub is the stand.
In that case we can cross higher. The crossover frequency is not only a function of the distortion we want to releave from the Satori Mid-Woofer but also has to do with the Allison effect. That usually creates a notch in the farfield between 200 and 300Hz.
I can not remember exavtly what Allison sugested but i would say somethin over 300Hz.
The Watt-Puppy is inteligent in that sense that dual woofers are used. That spreads the Allison effect vertically so that it is not pronounced at a single frequency. That makes the critical funndamental tone area more fleshed out and " warmer".

Last edited:
Here are the measurements. You see that the edge resonance of the Satori Mid-Bass is now tamed. I build in a very slight supression between 1,2kHz and 4kHz.
That avoids any honkyness in the region where the ear is most sensitive and should improve the subjective sense of depth. In absolute term this is minuscule.
You will not find many speakers on the market that are this flat.
This will also hold very well off axis. The really deep notch i get when i reverse the tweeter ( actually the tweeter is reversed so this shows when the tweter is with positive polarity ) shows the great phase tracking i get with the drivers.
The impedance curve is benign and shows the reflex tuning at 45Hz. That is decent.
This is with one bass tunnel closed. Opening both bass tunels shifts the resonance up.
In this setup you will get less deep bass but the upper bass, lower midrange get louder.
I do not puplish the schematic at this time. I really whould like that David from SB hears this and gives me " green light ".

Attachments

• Kalasan 4 in phase.PNG
    Kalasan 4 in phase.PNG
    37.4 KB · Views: 2,214
  • Kalasan 4 out phase.PNG
    Kalasan 4 out phase.PNG
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,132
  • Kalasan 4 imp net gain.PNG
    Kalasan 4 imp net gain.PNG
    88.4 KB · Views: 2,107
Last edited:
No but you should have credits too, keeping it alive:)

I would be so happy if there could be a less-budget version with the SB17 -4ohm, the most costly in this kit is the satori woofer , puhhh 280e/ each! The tweeter is priced quite ok actually compared to other high-end drivers.

Wouldn't that be nice? Think about it. I think also SB would sell a whole lot more satori tw too. And i believe SB17 it's up to the task! Especially for 60e/each!

I would be so happy if there could be a less-budget version with the SB17 -4ohm, the most costly in this kit is the satori woofer , puhhh 280e/ each! The tweeter is priced quite ok actually compared to other high-end drivers.

Wouldn't that be nice? Think about it. I think also SB would sell a whole lot more satori tw too. And i believe SB17 it's up to the task! Especially for 60e/each!

I got my Satori mid/bass for CA$170 each. After shipping and duty to Ireland they worked out at nearly 200euro each.
The Satori mid/bass are worth the money, they sound amazing.

You can buy the Satori here Rabu Acoustics for 1590Dkr (1890kr).

Regards

/Göran

I can already say that this speaker sounds perfect.
When you can not make the Kalasan sound amazing you have a problem with your room or your frontend.
It sounds extremely open, like an electrostatic.
There are a lot of details plus tremendoes dynamic range.
The soundstage extends on some tracks beyond the width of the speakers.
Bass is tight and slamming. It does not go into the last octave but in praxis i do not miss anything.
What is there is so clean and tight that my full attention is drawn into the music.
I will publish measurements and the final circuit diagram soon.
I have to listen some more just for fun.