• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SB Acoustics Satori Monitor

The answer to my question should of cause be : because my crossover is better ( ;
Sorry Jeff, this is just a joke.
I told the customers that asked me why the Kairos Kit is cheaper then buying drive units in Europe that they also should use your crossover.
Anyway, the names Kalasan and Kairos even confused me.
I had the project stored under Kalasan 2 but had labeled the drivers Kairos 2 TT and Kairos 2 HT.
Weired, i am sorry about that mistake.
I will relabel and post the crossover again.
The circuit is valid though.

Here is the new circuit diagram for the Kalasan 2.
Labelling is correct now.

Attachments

• Kalasan 2 Bass Crossover cor.PNG
    Kalasan 2 Bass Crossover cor.PNG
    17.8 KB · Views: 2,747
  • Kalasan 2 Treble crossover cor.PNG
    Kalasan 2 Treble crossover cor.PNG
    21.2 KB · Views: 2,717
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
im wondering, is the distance between the mid and tweeter is the same between the kairos and kalasan kit??? Thats the only way one could use both xo with the satori drivers and see whicch XO sounds better, but that can be done only if both has the same front baffle: angle wise and distance wise between the drivers.....

Hi Joachim
Althought it's a joke,I still don't believe Jeff's and your's crossovers are replaceable. Judging by photos available on Meniscus and Madisound's facebook page,Kairos has bigger box than Kalasan.I guess Kairos might have better bass extension.Crossover may be tuned to make whole system sound more balance.

since Kalasan whole design is complete I wonder when is Madisound going to put the whole kit to their website? the box is gorgeous and also your design.

im wondering, is the distance between the mid and tweeter is the same between the kairos and kalasan kit??? Thats the only way one could use both xo with the satori drivers and see whicch XO sounds better, but that can be done only if both has the same front baffle: angle wise and distance wise between the drivers.....

Actually, from earlier in this thread there was some discussion about the offset between the woofer and tweeter in these designs. If I remember correctly, Joachim and I arrived at almost the same offset, at least they were within just a couple of millimeters, which will make little difference. His baffle is stepped and mine is slanted, so my tweeter is bit more off-axis, but cabinet width is pretty close too. So all things considered, I am pretty sure either crossover could be used in either cabinet design without much compromise, especially since the listening axis isn't locked down for anyone anyway.

Jeff

The Kalasans are playing music !
First i checked the bass range because the samples i got from Madisound where reported to sound a bit thin.
I put the speakers in a position where i get the strongest bass in my room and i played records that i know are a bit overblown in that area.
And so was the result. The speakers went quite deep but it was a little boomy as expected. That is the correct behaviour i know from other speakers i designed that are known to work well in the bass under a variety of systems like the Canalis Allegra or the Suesskind Tangram.
I had now great hopes that the bass problem was solved ones i have the Kalasan in the optimum position. By the way i listen with one bass reflex horn tunnel stuffed.
That gives a QB3 tuning i always use and know that it works.
In the right position bass goes as deep as one can expect from this rather small box.
There certainly is wamth and a fully fleshed out tone. I would say it goes to ca.40Hz in room what is decent.

What is immediate obvious is a very clean and smooth sound with very low distortion.
The cabinets work superb. They are low resonant and well shaped for low diffraction.
The soundstage is wide, deep and high with very good focus. I can not hear the position of the speakers and the blend between midrange and treble is seemless.
Really mesmerising is a quality that i whould call liquid and airy the same time.
That makes the sound very elegant but with a lot of information, not thrown to the surface but simpply " there ". Inner dynamics are excellent. Every tiny bit is clear and deleniated without destroying musicallity. It sounds transparent but also homogenious," from one piece ".
I am satisfied.
I will post some photos soon. Tomorrow i will also post measurements.

Joachim or Jeff B.,

Speaking of subs, just wondering where you recommend crossing over satellites such as these (Kalasan or Kairos) with a LR4 active crossover? I have heard recommendations anywhere from a satellite's -3dB point up to one full octave above it. Just curious on your thoughts.

Also wondering whether or not you recommend stuffing the ports and going sealed if using them with a subwoofer?

Today i compared the Kalasan i got from Madisound to the Kalasan 2 i build.
At first i thouht that not much is wrong. At least in my setup there is bass.
After listening more i found that the Kalasan as i got them from the US was kind of bleached out and artificial. I think that the elevation around 900Hz is the culprit.
I will now rebuild to the new version.

Yes, I did some response shaping in that area in my design (see picture).

Satori Two – Monitor

Perhaps if I used a steeper LR4 filter with a larger coil (L1) it wouldn't been necessary, but when using a shallow sloped LR2 cross-over I think it really is necessary. It would of course add some cost for the extra components.

Regards

/Göran

Attachments

• SAT-M-x-over-Freq-w-notch.jpg
    SAT-M-x-over-Freq-w-notch.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 1,933
  • ST-M-x-over-schema.jpg
    ST-M-x-over-schema.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,712