USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter - Page 37 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2012, 10:55 AM   #361
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
what about the IIR bandwidth? there is different settings in the IIR for PCM and DSD, this will not be switched with your method
Was that question directed at me?
Old 21st September 2012, 10:59 AM   #362
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

I think at me.
But as I don't know what is actually set by the new header on the Buffalo III SE it is difficult to say if qusp is right or wrong.
Old 21st September 2012, 04:28 PM   #363
chi0001 is offline chi0001  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

i need help, i connected the amanero card to pcm1794a, am i connect it right?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 21st September 2012, 05:04 PM   #364
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago
Was that question directed at me?
yes, see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicMac
I think at me.
But as I don't know what is actually set by the new header on the Buffalo III SE it is difficult to say if qusp is right or wrong.
no, it was indeed for merlin el mago, because he was saying he is just using sidecar to switch between i2s and DSD and this is not always the complete switch procedure. When changing from PCM to DSD on ESS dacs, you also should consider changing the IIR bandwidth filter, because the setup for the filters is completely different. the input connection may work, but its not really set for DSD simply by changing the source.

I had actually taken it as essential but I guess the default PCM values for the filter work, but are just not really ideal. I dont use BIII as you know so checked the guide for you, see below.

Quote:
IIR Bandwidth

The default setting ‘Normal’ should give the best performance when using PCM (least in-bound
ripple). When using DSD you may want to try higher values.

SW2:6
SW2:7

Normal (for PCM) OFF OFF

50k (for DSD) OFF ON

60k (for DSD) ON OFF

70k (for DSD) ON ON

so adjust to taste

Last edited by qusp; 21st September 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 21st September 2012, 05:21 PM   #365
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi0001 View Post
i need help, i connected the amanero card to pcm1794a, am i connect it right?
yes, your diagram is correct. for some annoying reason the manufacturers still do not all comply to a standard naming. for the PCM179X series and some other dacs SCK is MCLK and the S is for System Clock, not Sample Clock as it can sometimes mean, which is the same as BCK.
Old 21st September 2012, 05:41 PM   #366
chi0001 is offline chi0001  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

thanks for the reply.
but no sound come out, i am thinking, the pin 7 put high is dsd on, should i connect it to pin 8"gnd" to make it 0v?
Old 21st September 2012, 06:10 PM   #367
orpheus is offline orpheus  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks to everyone who has replied about my noise problems. I discovered that one of my CAT5 wires was cut a little when I stripped the wires, so I reterminated, but that didn't change anything.

With my hackintosh home theater pc, I get a constant 4khz noise that is there regardless of sample rate (although I haven't tried DSD yet). My hackintosh runs Lion, and has a Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3 motherboard.

I pulled the firmware chip, and the noise persisted.

I tried my HP hackintosh laptop using batteries, and the noise disappeared.
I didn't try with the power supply connected to the laptop yet.

Apparently the USB ports on my hackintosh cause a 4khz noise. Any suggestions for how I can fix this noise problem? I would like to use this computer with the Amanero. Would upgrading the computer's power supply (it is just the cheapo one that came with the case), or getting a USB PCI card make a difference? I have thought about rebuilding with an external linear power supply, but that would be a bit down the road.

I still get "crunchy" noises that sound like dropouts. I get them with both the laptop and the PC, and I get them with and without the firmware chip installed in the Buffalo II. I never installed the LED's for lock and mute when I built my Buffalo. I'll have to go back and install them, and order the "best" firmware from TP. Is the default setting when I pull the firmware chip "best"?

Sorry to hijack this thread with my questions about my specific implementation. I think that there are a lot of people who will use this board with a Buffalo II (I have the 80mhz version), so perhaps this will be helpful to more people than just me.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.

-Aaron.
Old 21st September 2012, 08:23 PM   #368
diyAudio Member

hmm get actual mac mini? theres a suggestion
Old 21st September 2012, 08:56 PM   #369
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Realizing that I am about to officially expose that I am a complete ignorant, talking about things I know nothing about, I have a fast OT question......
DSD over USB
Does this require a music file in "DSD format" or are any type of music files converted by the PC software to this format before being send as USB "signal"?
I am familiar with the DSD signal I tap from my SACD player, but I have never played with DSD/DXD files on my Mac.....
Again, sorry for the OT.
Cheers,
Nic
Old 21st September 2012, 10:01 PM   #370
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus View Post
Apparently the USB ports on my hackintosh cause a 4khz noise. Any suggestions for how I can fix this noise problem? I would like to use this computer with the Amanero. Would upgrading the computer's power supply (it is just the cheapo one that came with the case), or getting a USB PCI card make a difference? I have thought about rebuilding with an external linear power supply, but that would be a bit down the road.

Did you relocate the DAC when connecting to laptop? Maybe it is something else nearby and computer connected at the time is nothing to do with it? Did you change the way your USB cable runs past the rest of your DAC etc when swapping computers?

Did you use a USB cable with ferrite ?

Hide this!Advertise here!