hypex ncore - Page 678 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2013, 05:46 PM   #6771
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
What do you mean? -please elaborate.
Get-lit was asking if he needed to worry about the length of the cables with his nC400-based system. You responded "In some systems cables matter a lot", so I wanted to clarify if you thought his system could be one of those systems, or not.
Old 12th May 2013, 06:07 PM   #6772
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Get-lit was asking if he needed to worry about the length of the cables with his nC400-based system. You responded "In some systems cables matter a lot", so I wanted to clarify if you thought his system could be one of those systems, or not.
OK, thanks, I see.
Well I certainly don't know enough about Get-lit's system to qualify whether or not the specific cable he is using entails a significant bottleneck performance-wise according to his subjective taste.

In other words, he might not need to worry, and then he might -if not worry, then at least test (the only way to be sure) whether a system reconfiguration with shorter and/or better cable would enable him to appreciate his music even more.

All the best,
Old 12th May 2013, 06:12 PM   #6773
diyAudio Member

Quote:
In other words, he might not need to worry, and then he might -if not worry, then at least test (the only way to be sure) whether a system reconfiguration with shorter and/or better cable would enable him to appreciate his music even more.
So, pretty much "maybe, maybe not, don't know"?
Old 12th May 2013, 06:17 PM   #6774
diyAudio Member

Quote:
So, pretty much "maybe, maybe not, don't know"?
Yes, as usual too many unknown variables to say anything with any certain degree of certainty
Old 12th May 2013, 07:30 PM   #6775
get-lit is offline get-lit  United States
diyAudio Member

Planned system is NAD M15 HD2 preamp, Monitor Audio GS series speakers, and NC400 amps for left/right/center. May upgrade the speakers down the road to DIY with AE drivers and RALL ribbons, but that would be a few years away yet.

The 10 AWG wire isn't audio specific, it's this stuff (nylon jacket, 600V PVC insulation). Is shielded wire recommended?

On a side note, last year I read about a little box that does HDMI to 8 channel out, that can be spliced into for getting independent digital outputs for lossless digital signal to individual preamps->amps placed at each speaker. I bought the box then but forgot what it is now and it's unmarked.

EDIT: Thanks everyone, this is by far the most responsive thread on the internet.

Last edited by get-lit; 12th May 2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12th May 2013, 10:04 PM   #6776
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
looks like the new PS Audio amp will be using the UCD700 with the NCORE 1200W SMPS: Anyone interested in seeing the new amp? - PS Audio Discussion Forum

they're not using the NC1200 because of price reasons.
Old 12th May 2013, 11:13 PM   #6777
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by get-lit View Post
Planned system is NAD M15 HD2 preamp, Monitor Audio GS series speakers, and NC400 amps for left/right/center. May upgrade the speakers down the road to DIY with AE drivers and RALL ribbons, but that would be a few years away yet.

The 10 AWG wire isn't audio specific, it's this stuff (nylon jacket, 600V PVC insulation). Is shielded wire recommended?

On a side note, last year I read about a little box that does HDMI to 8 channel out, that can be spliced into for getting independent digital outputs for lossless digital signal to individual preamps->amps placed at each speaker. I bought the box then but forgot what it is now and it's unmarked.

EDIT: Thanks everyone, this is by far the most responsive thread on the internet.
Any decent cable should be enough. What you pay for isn't for magical materials but rather for build quality and since it's just two straight bundles of wires + insulation not that much is needed. Shielded is overkill since it's high level signals transmitted through it.
Old 13th May 2013, 06:02 AM   #6778
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllBoll View Post
Any decent cable should be enough. What you pay for isn't for magical materials but rather for build quality and since it's just two straight bundles of wires + insulation not that much is needed. Shielded is overkill since it's high level signals transmitted through it.
You don't know that. Conductor spacing is central. Also, they could be twisted. If so, twists per meter is central too. The number of strands, and their size probably plays a part too. Then we come to the mechanical stuff which is even weirder. You are absolutely right that these things don't have to translate into a big price tag and magical specifications, but to say that their all the same since their "just two straight bundles of wires + insulation" is to just not true - according to my humble experience.

Best,
Old 13th May 2013, 06:45 AM   #6779
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You don't know that. Conductor spacing is central. Also, they could be twisted. If so, twists per meter is central too. The number of strands, and their size probably plays a part too. Then we come to the mechanical stuff which is even weirder. You are absolutely right that these things don't have to translate into a big price tag and magical specifications, but to say that their all the same since their "just two straight bundles of wires + insulation" is to just not true - according to my humble experience.
Yes, different cables have different properties. Whether those properties cause audible differences depends on the system where they are used - and mostly reflect weaknesses in the design of those systems. Until we know of a specific problem with the nCores that are caused or cured by specific cable properties, I think we should not advocate any specific cables - until you know what the problem is, any solution will be sub-optimal.

I, for one, am not aware of any such issues with the nCores, so I would say "any cables with a low enough resistance / high enough current capability are just fine for use with the nCores".
Old 13th May 2013, 08:01 AM   #6780
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes, different cables have different properties. Whether those properties cause audible differences depends on the system where they are used - and mostly reflect weaknesses in the design of those systems. Until we know of a specific problem with the nCores that are caused or cured by specific cable properties, I think we should not advocate any specific cables - until you know what the problem is, any solution will be sub-optimal.

I, for one, am not aware of any such issues with the nCores, so I would say "any cables with a low enough resistance / high enough current capability are just fine for use with the nCores".
I know that we disagree on this topic which doesn't mean that we both can be right in each our way. And peace with that.
Ncore would be the first amp to not show differences in cables -at least to me. In all the systems that I have tested cables, the cables showed characteristic audible features. Does that mean that all systems are flawed or that cables in general seems to matter (in practice, no matter what can be deduced from selected theoretical representations), or both?

Hide this!Advertise here!