Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. Most people prefer not to question what they are told. Unfortunately we see the results - in things such as politics.

The major difference with audio is it's based on listening. Without listening it's meaningless. Once we cross the threshold of where the specs are so good many will consider perfect, it's personal taste that determines the rest. Personally I don't like the sound of poor measuring gear. I prefer the music. But i'm not so naive to think that there's not differences in sound among the top measuring gear. If this was the case we wouldn't be offering many options of stellar preforming discrete class A opamps. Because we know no matter how great they all measure, they all sound different.

Last edited:
The point is how interesting it is.
By mere coming up with another high tech discrete op amp, and so called super power supplies (by the way almost 1 mV ripple is nothing special...) I am not yet convinced.
I understand that there is some competition going on on how to "improve" NC500 based amplifiers by tossing around with input stages which has to be discrete :rolleyes: but it remains to be seen if it all leads to a better sounding amplifier. It's a very commercial affair.

I suppose everything remains to be seen. Just the same as how just over a year ago in this thread when I unveiled the NC-500's and shared with Boggit my early gen buffer design based on discrete class a opamps. What was seen following that was a revolution in class D. He's sold 100's of amps to people who were class D haters, even after hearing NC-400's and Mola Mola's. His original plan was to just use the stock Hypex LM 4562 based buffers. Had he did that I can assure you Nord wouldn't be where it is today.

Now he's decided to even copy my cases for his amps. Let's hope that takes him even further.

Just the same as how just over a year ago in this thread when I unveiled the NC-500's and shared with Boggit my early gen buffer design based on discrete class a opamps. What was seen following that was a revolution in class D.

If there has been a "revolution in class D", it is due to new designs such as nCore (and the understanding and insights leading to them), not because of some small-volume op-amp buffers.

It's like saying "after the war, air travel was revolutionized by the use of round windows in the new jet aircraft, compared to the square windows on the DC3".

..... What was seen following that was a revolution in class D. He's sold 100's of amps to people who were class D haters, even after hearing NC-400's and Mola Mola's......

Mmmm...revolution....
Ncore, improving on the sound quality level of class D amps when compared to UCD and other "mediocre" sounding class D, can be called sort of a revolution (though I'd rather use this term for other, more important and non-audio related things).

Mmmm...revolution....
Ncore, improving on the sound quality level of class D amps when compared to UCD and other "mediocre" sounding class D, can be called sort of a revolution (though I'd rather use this term for other, more important and non-audio related things).

Real world sales figures and results matter more to me than peanut gallery bantering with nothing backing it.

If there has been a "revolution in class D", it is due to new designs such as nCore (and the understanding and insights leading to them), not because of some small-volume op-amp buffers.

It's like saying "after the war, air travel was revolutionized by the use of round windows in the new jet aircraft, compared to the square windows on the DC3".

The NC-400 was released in late 2011. It's a phenomenal amp, but it didn't appeal to everyone. It wasn't until my input buffer design Colin used in his Nord amps that class D haters finally turned a new leaf. This was 4 years after the NC-400. Read the Audioshark thread. This thread put Nord on the map:

Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

Last edited:
The NC-400 was released in late 2011. It's a phenomenal amp, but it didn't appeal to everyone. It wasn't until my input buffer design Colin used in his Nord amps that class D haters finally turned a new leaf. This was 4 years after the NC-400. Read the Audioshark thread. This thread put Nord on the map:

Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

Even today Ncore amplifiers, with whatever input stage, don't appeal to everyone. That's simply how audio works, because it is, like most things in life, a world of objectivism and subjectivism.
I am OK with your enthusiasm, but it does not imply that what you have is "best".

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I suppose everything remains to be seen. Just the same as how just over a year ago in this thread when I unveiled the NC-500's and shared with Boggit my early gen buffer design based on discrete class a opamps. What was seen following that was a revolution in class D. He's sold 100's of amps to people who were class D haters, even after hearing NC-400's and Mola Mola's. His original plan was to just use the stock Hypex LM 4562 based buffers. Had he did that I can assure you Nord wouldn't be where it is today.

Now he's decided to even copy my cases for his amps. Let's hope that takes him even further.

Why are you seeking approval for your commercial products on a DIY site? Are you so unsure of your implementation decisions that it is necessary? Or is it hidden advertising -> Vendor Bazar!

//

some dubious text book front end buffer was the revolution.
Ncore Class-D architecture by Bruno was the easy part.

The said "revolutionary" buffer also beat the discrete buffer Bruno developed for NC400.

I dont know about others, but i'm convinced about Bavmike's contributions to advancing the state of the art in Audio.

some dubious text book front end buffer was the revolution.
Ncore Class-D architecture by Bruno was the easy part.

The said "revolutionary" buffer also beat the discrete buffer Bruno developed for NC400.

I dont know about others, but i'm convinced about Bavmike's contributions to advancing the state of the art in Audio.

Yes Hypex has made the amplification end very easy. Getting positive feedback from a wide variety of previous Ncore amp haters meant doing things different than making a carbon copy of every other Ncore amp on the market in a different case.

Status
Not open for further replies.