hypex ncore - Page 653 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2013, 10:45 AM   #6521
Julf is online now Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjf View Post
Lastly, is anyone NOT grounding the IEC Input to the chassis at all and if so, is this a safe method to use (ie... not getting shocked when hands touch the chassis)? Is this a good approach to lower the chances of ground loops entering the signal chain?
It is a good approach, and it is the recommended way to do it, but only if you know the implications of the phrase "class II construction".
Old 7th March 2013, 11:11 AM   #6522
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ooops...I forgot to ask a few more things in my last post.

Given the scenario I described in my previous post where the build is a Dual Mono type in the same chassis, what is the best way to connect the ground wires from the NC400 modules? Should each NC400 be grounded to the metal foot of its partner SMPS600 amp that is feeding it or should a more "common" ground be established that ties both NC400's & both SMPS600's to a central point?

Is it safe to assume that the XLR Inputs should just be grounded directly to the back panel near where they enter the chassis?

Lastly, is anyone NOT grounding the IEC Input to the chassis at all and if so, is this a safe method to use (ie... not getting shocked when hands touch the chassis)? Is this a good approach to lower the chances of ground loops entering the signal chain?

Thanks again.
I'd say always think of safety first and always connect safety ground.

Grounding the chassi doesn't create a ground loop either, connecting Pin1 to chassi is just extending the cables shield to include the chassi and isn't connected to signal ground. Even if you use RCA the only point where the single ended connection has to be connected to signal ground is at the DAC / Preamp side.
Old 7th March 2013, 11:41 AM   #6523
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllBoll View Post
I'd say always think of safety first and always connect safety ground.
You are not a Real AudiophileTM if you aren't prepared to electrocute yourself in the quest for Superior Sound QualityTM
Old 7th March 2013, 10:29 PM   #6524
robbbby is offline robbbby  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hypex needs to seriously work on their email server. I keep getting email sent back from them because it is "unsolicited", even though I am replying to an email from their support.
Old 8th March 2013, 12:55 AM   #6525
cjf is offline cjf  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
15 A @ 125 V is 1875 W - more than enough. What is the current rating of your wall socket?
Thanks for the info.

The wall socket (dedicated line) I use is said to be rated for 20A (PS Audio Power Port). Its wired with 10/2 Romex from the panel and terminated to a 20A breaker.
Old 8th March 2013, 06:41 AM   #6526
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The wall socket (dedicated line) I use is said to be rated for 20A (PS Audio Power Port). Its wired with 10/2 Romex from the panel and terminated to a 20A breaker.
Excellent! That is some serious dedication there - the 10 awg Romex is not fun to install!
Old 8th March 2013, 09:37 PM   #6527
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
So is it correctly understood that you cannot choose "all-active" operation because it only goes active when you need more signal than what the source produce ? -Which in practice would be the same as just calling it a passive pre...
From your description I somehow understood that you actually could choose to run it in all active mode too...
Well, it's a buffered passive design which gives you the possibility to go active if you need really a lot of juice to bang your ears
Old 11th March 2013, 03:50 PM   #6528
Pabo is offline Pabo  Sweden
diyAudio Member

"Patrik Bostrom, currently the most advanced Class D engineer in Europe and CTO Of Abletec, went beyond Bruno's capability with further advanced Class D engineering and developed recently, a linear loop technology known as AMS, (Adaptive modulation Servo), which is phase shift modulation, eliminating all feedback in the circuits, rather than pulse width modulation, which has been around for forty years. D-Sonic uses power modules from Abletec. The new in house switching module designed by Audio Research, achieves the same results as Abletec."

I just read this and am surprised to see that I have such a strong supporter in New Jersey Nevertheless, I must say that I hardly see myself as the most advanced class D engineer in Europe even though AMS is quite simple and powerful. Also, just as someone else wrote before me, AMS has a lot of feedback but the input signal does not pass through the error amplifier and hence is not affected by it's transfer function giving a first order transfer function of the complete system.

I do become curious to learn more about Audio Research's class D technology. Has someone posted anything about that? For example some measurements of frequency response and linearity?
Old 11th March 2013, 04:52 PM   #6529
ua100k is offline ua100k  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabo View Post
"Patrik Bostrom, currently the most advanced Class D engineer in Europe and CTO Of Abletec, went beyond Bruno's capability with further advanced Class D engineering and developed recently, a linear loop technology known as AMS, (Adaptive modulation Servo), which is phase shift modulation, eliminating all feedback in the circuits, rather than pulse width modulation, which has been around for forty years. D-Sonic uses power modules from Abletec. The new in house switching module designed by Audio Research, achieves the same results as Abletec."

I just read this and am surprised to see that I have such a strong supporter in New Jersey Nevertheless, I must say that I hardly see myself as the most advanced class D engineer in Europe even though AMS is quite simple and powerful. Also, just as someone else wrote before me, AMS has a lot of feedback but the input signal does not pass through the error amplifier and hence is not affected by it's transfer function giving a first order transfer function of the complete system.

I do become curious to learn more about Audio Research's class D technology. Has someone posted anything about that? For example some measurements of frequency response and linearity?
First the disclaimer. I am using Hypex and do know Abletec very well.

Patrick
Can you tell us where you got that quote from and who is was in New Jersey?

Thank you.
Old 11th March 2013, 04:58 PM   #6530
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua100k View Post
Can you tell us where you got that quote from
hi, nowadays google indexes in a matter of days and running a search containing no more than 4-5 words between quotes (exact phrase search) works wonders

Hide this!Advertise here!