hypex ncore - Page 501 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2012, 01:38 PM   #5001
back is offline back  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
Letīs hit the 5000 posts mark for this monster thread!

Do we smell an experiment coming, StigErik ?

Itīs been around for a awhile that improvements in the treble will audible impact the bass too.

So it is not unlikely that UCDs on your ribbons will alter the perception of the bass although your woofer systems are unchanged.

Physically speaking, whatever signals that demand more acceleration than what your woofers are configured to produce rely on the ribbons, so whatever is meant by "leading edge" might rely more on the HP section than the LP
+1 exactly my thoughts.

stigerik what do you think?

will you do the experiment?
Old 31st August 2012, 02:13 PM   #5002
krivium is offline krivium  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
actually i am thinking that the harmonics of a kick drum can maybe

extend to 1khz.
Well not harmonics but 'impact' part of drum sound can be as high as 3khz in kick drum (sound of beater hitting the drumhead) depending on beater's material and music style (ever listened to Death/trash/speed metal? ).

Harmonics are much higher even if very short in duration and not nescesseraly 'harmonicly' related to sustained sound of drumhead: it's percussive material.

So yes i improvement in highs tends to give more focus and tightness to bass sound (not only percussive materials, it happens on bass, double bass,etc,etc...).
Old 31st August 2012, 02:21 PM   #5003
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by back View Post
+1 exactly my thoughts.
Please correct me if i'm wrong, but this is just what is described by Fourier, any signal can be divided in a n number of sine waves. Fast transitions (leading edge of the square wave) need high frequency sine waves so this is handled by the tweeter.
Old 31st August 2012, 03:11 PM   #5004
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Fourier - I seem to remember he had a transforming effect on audio...
Old 31st August 2012, 03:23 PM   #5005
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Has anyone measured the free-running oscillator leak-through to the output? It seems a couple of volts are normal for class D amps. Is Hypex any different?
I asked this some time ago and never got an answer. Is this too obvious of a question?
Old 31st August 2012, 03:29 PM   #5006
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
I asked this some time ago and never got an answer. Is this too obvious of a question?
Go and have a look at Bruno's papers on Class D design - you should find it answered there
and it's probably fair to assume that subsequent designs have tried to improve upon performance from his original papers
Old 31st August 2012, 05:24 PM   #5007
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioschipper View Post
Question. When I power on /off my 5 channel nCore there is a "tic" over my 5 speakers. The power on / off works with a trigger from Pre. It "tics" also when I mute my Pre (Marantz AV7005). It's all connected with Hypex XLR.
OK, let me check that I got this right - you have your pre-amp (Maranz) connected to the nc400's with balanced XLR cables. You then use the remote trigger (12V) output of the Marantz to switch the nc400's on/off. Do you use the standby on the SMPS(s) or the nAMPON inputs on the nc400's?

It could of course be that the Marantz produces a transient when turned on/off - have you tried with a different amp? Could there be a DC offset on the Marantz output?
Old 31st August 2012, 09:08 PM   #5008
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
OK, let me check that I got this right - you have your pre-amp (Maranz) connected to the nc400's with balanced XLR cables. You then use the remote trigger (12V) output of the Marantz to switch the nc400's on/off. Do you use the standby on the SMPS(s) or the nAMPON inputs on the nc400's?

It could of course be that the Marantz produces a transient when turned on/off - have you tried with a different amp? Could there be a DC offset on the Marantz output?
Thanks for responding Julf.
Right, I use balanced XLR. I use the remote trigger to power on. I use a softstart from Hypex. It's switching the power, not the standby or the nAmpon. I don't have another amp to check. With the Squezzebox, cinch to xlr cable, there was no tic.
Old 31st August 2012, 09:16 PM   #5009
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post

Maybe it is not the best wáy to switch on the nCore but given the fact that it also 'tics' when I mute the Marantz pre, it shouldn't make a difference I guess?
Old 1st September 2012, 11:22 AM   #5010
lm1no2 is offline lm1no2  Norway
diyAudio Member

Hi, my NCore, excellent sound.
Only one question: Does connection between case and ground is correct, the green wire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0520.JPG (691.0 KB, 735 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0524.JPG (780.2 KB, 681 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!