Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
hypex ncore

What Colin should do is, buy about 10-15 sets of compatible dual opamps (both discrete and IC) and send the complete amps into a lab that has the latest AP measurement gear. They can do the full gamut of tests on the complete buffer/amp combo with each opamp in place. The same tests we see on the Hypex spec sheets. Even if many of the opamps measure the same, folks will at least have the piece of mind that they don't make anything worse. And if they do, it might be subjectively preferred by some anyways.

Then the tweaker crowd can report on the subjective differences heard between the different opamps, and see if there's any correlation between the measured results, and what they hear.

Then he can have a feedback section on his webpage where users can report their subjective impressions of each opamp.

Last edited:
Then the tweaker crowd can report on the subjective differences heard between the different opamps, and see if there's any correlation between the measured results, and what they hear.

If that goes ahead (and it would be great if it did), I suggest that the people reporting their subjective impressions only refer to the different opamps as "A", "B", "C" etc., with the labels assigned at random - and only reveal which one is which after everybody has reported their impressions. It would be very interesting to see if there is agreement/correlation without mutually reinforcing group cohesion.

What you need to do is actually play around with different source gear, before you decide it can't handle complex orchestral music. Most amps like the Cambridge, artificially enhance music. This extra soundstage and better separation was "voiced " into the equipment. Buy Boggit's amp and 5-6 different pairs of discrete and IC opamps and swap them out. You will hear a completely different presentation and soundstage with each one. It's not the class D technology that is the bottleneck here. It's simply the lack of artificial enhancement due to the "straight wire" buffer stage.

Once you have this experience, it will be an eye opener.

I knew that NC400's input is buffered as it's input impedance is high. If a buffer stage is necessary between NC400 and Ivy II, I can easily build one. I have several opamps to try.

I knew that NC400's input is buffered as it's input impedance is high. If a buffer stage is necessary between NC400 and Ivy II, I can easily build one. I have several opamps to try.

The buffer stage is built onto the PCB with the NC400. You can't bypass it. I was referring to the NC500 amp from Nord that allows you to swap opamps:

Hypex Amps, Abrahamsen Audio, IPL Acoustic Speakers

For the NC400's to add warmth, you must use a warm source like preamp or DAC.

The buffer stage is built onto the PCB with the NC400. You can't bypass it. I was referring to the NC500 amp from Nord that allows you to swap opamps:

Hypex Amps, Abrahamsen Audio, IPL Acoustic Speakers

For the NC400's to add warmth, you must use a warm source like preamp or DAC.

It is not so easy to find and buy a real balance preamplifier. I can try building a simple one with opamps. I personally like signature of LME49990

It is good idea to ship NC500 without input buffer as the customers can put their own buffer with better PSU.

It is not so easy to find and buy a real balance preamplifier. I can try building a simple one with opamps. I personally like signature of LME49990

It is good idea to ship NC500 without input buffer as the customers can put their own buffer with better PSU.

I'm sure he could sell it to you without an discrete opamp if you ask, but you need a dual opamp for the buffer. You will have a hard time powering it with cleaner power then the Hypex HxR voltage regulator. If you think you could build a better buffer yourself from scratch, buy the cheap version with the standard LM4562 buffer board and replace it with your own.

NewClassD offer discrete Op Amps but they don't do OEM pricing preferring to deal directly with the DIY world. I may order a pair to see what they are like.
I certainly wont be sending them off to a Lab for testing any time soon I would imagine the cost to be prohibitive. I will try and get over to the guy who builds the Valve amps who has all the equipment.
Re the Pre Amp Abrahamsen have agreed to sell me complete boards, displays and transformers to engineer in my case, Ill add a DAC also. These are fully balanced and should come in at a very good price.

Are you going to use the Abrahamsen DAC as well? I noticed their preamp has a pretty high noise floor vs the Ncore amps.

I'm sure he could sell it to you without an discrete opamp if you ask, but you need a dual opamp for the buffer. You will have a hard time powering it with cleaner power then the Hypex HxR voltage regulator. If you think you could build a better buffer yourself from scratch, buy the cheap version with the standard LM4562 buffer board and replace it with your own.

Yes,I know, I have dual opamps like LME49720 but I like LME49990 so I can use two opamps/channel
You mean NC400 without input buffer? I confused, I did not know that such product exists.
I have both Sulzer and Salas BiB so clean PSU is not a problem for me.

Yes,I know, I have dual opamps like LME49720 but I like LME49990 so I can use two opamps/channel
You mean NC400 without input buffer? I confused, I did not know that such product exists.
I have both Sulzer and Salas BiB so clean PSU is not a problem for me.

Boggit sells an NC500 based amp with a separate input buffer. This is why I shared the link with you and explained all about it to you.

Sparkos vs Burson Op Amps

I gave my initial impressions of the Nord - IQ Speakers Hypex NC500 mono blocks previously and I have now fitted the uprated buffers designed and supplied by Nord.
I originally decided on the Burson V5 discrete op amps, but Nord also very kindly sent me the Sparkos to compare with them as well.

Fitting was quick and easy with the instructions provided but Nord- IQ will do it for you if you prefer.
I should add that inside the amplifiers are very neatly laid out and the new buffer boards seem to be very good quality.

With either op amp sound wise the treble is probably slightly more natural than before and overall the sound is fuller. Of the two the Sparkos gives more of a fuller warmer sound perhaps because it is class A.
I felt the bass seemed slightly deeper and more controlled with both op amps but there is not a lot in it.
Overall I do prefer the subtle changes that both these op amps give.
There is also slightly more detail than before I notice even more things in my recordings that I had not noticed before particulary with the Bursons.

Out of the two I prefer the Burson V5 because they just sound slightly more natural (accurate) on musical instruments but again there is not a lot between them.
Maybe because I like music as opposed to singing the Bursons suit me best.
The Sparkos in my system seemed a little too smooth on most of my recordings.
The Sparkos seem to suit singing, female vocals sound very good.
Obviously the rest of your system, room and the type of music you like may make a difference as to which is best for you.

The Bursons are brighter sounding than the Sparkos in my system and I do have a couple of Cds where I think if I listened for many hours I may get listening fatigue whereas the Sparkos would probably stop that. But the rest of my music sounds better to me with the Bursons. Perhaps I could make up some sort of switching arrangement betweem op amps.

So summing up my impressions over standard op amps:-
Sparkos much smoother,marginally better bass, more detailed
Burson marginally smoother, marginally better bass, more detailed, more accurate and detailed.

For the record the rest of my System is an Audiolab 8200CDQ with built in pre amp. And Troels Gravesen designed Illumina 66 floorstanders.
On the Audiolab I use the Optimum Transient filter.
The CD player will be replaced in a few months time with a Lakewest FDAC with built in CD slot.
With regard to the speakers I used a 1R5 resistor to the ring radiator tweeters thus they are not bright speakers having as Troels Gravesen calls it the BBC dip. On the other hand my room is quite bright as it has a laminate floor with just a rug between my listening posistion and the speakers.
I am giving you this information as it could explain why I felt the Sparkos was too smooth most of the time. But also I am 68 this month and my HF hearing may not be so good anymore.

I gave my initial impressions of the Nord - IQ Speakers Hypex NC500 mono blocks previously and I have now fitted the uprated buffers designed and supplied by Nord.
I originally decided on the Burson V5 discrete op amps, but Nord also very kindly sent me the Sparkos to compare with them as well.

Fitting was quick and easy with the instructions provided but Nord- IQ will do it for you if you prefer.
I should add that inside the amplifiers are very neatly laid out and the new buffer boards seem to be very good quality.

With either op amp sound wise the treble is probably slightly more natural than before and overall the sound is fuller. Of the two the Sparkos gives more of a fuller warmer sound perhaps because it is class A.
I felt the bass seemed slightly deeper and more controlled with both op amps but there is not a lot in it.
Overall I do prefer the subtle changes that both these op amps give.
There is also slightly more detail than before I notice even more things in my recordings that I had not noticed before particulary with the Bursons.

Out of the two I prefer the Burson V5 because they just sound slightly more natural (accurate) on musical instruments but again there is not a lot between them.
Maybe because I like music as opposed to singing the Bursons suit me best.
The Sparkos in my system seemed a little too smooth on most of my recordings.
The Sparkos seem to suit singing, female vocals sound very good.
Obviously the rest of your system, room and the type of music you like may make a difference as to which is best for you.

The Bursons are brighter sounding than the Sparkos in my system and I do have a couple of Cds where I think if I listened for many hours I may get listening fatigue whereas the Sparkos would probably stop that. But the rest of my music sounds better to me with the Bursons. Perhaps I could make up some sort of switching arrangement betweem op amps.

So summing up my impressions over standard op amps:-
Sparkos much smoother,marginally better bass, more detailed
Burson marginally smoother, marginally better bass, more detailed, more accurate and detailed.

For the record the rest of my System is an Audiolab 8200CDQ with built in pre amp. And Troels Gravesen designed Illumina 66 floorstanders.
On the Audiolab I use the Optimum Transient filter.
The CD player will be replaced in a few months time with a Lakewest FDAC with built in CD slot.
With regard to the speakers I used a 1R5 resistor to the ring radiator tweeters thus they are not bright speakers having as Troels Gravesen calls it the BBC dip. On the other hand my room is quite bright as it has a laminate floor with just a rug between my listening posistion and the speakers.
I am giving you this information as it could explain why I felt the Sparkos was too smooth most of the time. But also I am 68 this month and my HF hearing may not be so good anymore.

How long did you let them burn in before the comparison? They change quite a bit after about 100 hours or so.

Hi Bavmike
I played them for about 10 hours before making notes.
Obvioulsy if there is a difference after 100 hours this is not covered in my findings.
Now let me ask you a couple of questions does the 100 hours apply to the Sparkos as well as the Bursons and what changes can be expected after 100 hours with both.

Hi Bavmike
I played them for about 10 hours before making notes.
Obvioulsy if there is a difference after 100 hours this is not covered in my findings.
Now let me ask you a couple of questions does the 100 hours apply to the Sparkos as well as the Bursons and what changes can be expected after 100 hours with both.

I found them all to change. I know Julf wouldn't agree, but something happens after they burn in with the equipment for a while. I didn't like the sound of any of them right at first. I left them run around the clock for about a week each and they completely transformed. And it wasn't my ears adjusting either because I just listened for a few minutes each day and they kept getting better. Then pop fresh ones in and the cold brittle sound is back. After all burnt in, I can swap and they all sound good right away. But still sound best after playing for a few hours. Leave on all night with music on repeat, and listen in the morning. This is the best way.

I found them all to change. I know Julf wouldn't agree, but something happens after they burn in with the equipment for a while. I didn't like the sound of any of them right at first. I left them run around the clock for about a week each and they completely transformed. And it wasn't my ears adjusting either because I just listened for a few minutes each day and they kept getting better. Then pop fresh ones in and the cold brittle sound is back. After all burnt in, I can swap and they all sound good right away. But still sound best after playing for a few hours. Leave on all night with music on repeat, and listen in the morning. This is the best way.
Would you say that the Sparkos become brighter as I found them too smooth and what happens with the Bursons after burn in brighter or smoother

Would you say that the Sparkos become brighter as I found them too smooth and what happens with the Bursons after burn in brighter or smoother

No they don't get brighter. Just get more natural sounding. Is your preamp really smooth? I was using them with a super transparent DAC at the time with a noise floor and transparency on par with the NC500's, so there really wasn't anything in my system to add additional smoothness. I found the balance about right with the Sparko's. Nothing like my new buffer's, but for discrete opamp's they were my second favourite next to the Sonic Imagery's. My speakers also have very revealing ribbon tweeters as well. You have the Scan-Speak soft domes that are silky smooth as well. So if your preamp is smooth, the opamp is smooth, and the tweeter, it may be a bit too much smooth. The Dexa's might be a better synergy with your system. It's hard to say what's perfect for your system, this is why it would be perfect to try at least 5 different opamps.

I do need to add that the 8200CD is a 'smooth' sounding Source, which lacks ultimate resolution

Believe, like me who has also been waiting patiently (years) for this FDAC, are in for a treat

That's likely the problem. The Sparko is a better balance with a very high resolution transparent DAC. the NC400 of DAC's. The Resonessence Mirus is what I was using at the time.

About Mirus… | Resonessence

Status
Not open for further replies.