Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all good and there will always be advances in technology, but what annoys me is HYPEX perceivably capping the 2ohm like that... Of course they are protecting their Flagship nc1200 modules but they could have at least capped the 2ohm at 700 same as the 4ohm....or is this some sort of onboard-bridged nc400 where 2ohm falls off a cliff?

What are Hypex charging OEMs for these modules I wonder? ...almost makes sense (if they are superior) to buy the cheapest OEM and modify!? :)

hypex ncore

It's all good and there will always be advances in technology, but what annoys me is HYPEX perceivably capping the 2ohm like that... Of course they are protecting their Flagship nc1200 modules but they could have at least capped the 2ohm at 700 same as the 4ohm....or is this some sort of onboard-bridged nc400 where 2ohm falls off a cliff?

What are Hypex charging OEMs for these modules I wonder? ...almost makes sense (if they are superior) to buy the cheapest OEM and modify!? :)

The NC1200 modules are more expensive and are capable of 40 amp current output. They aren't protecting the NC1200, it's just a more powerful module. It also has an onboard buffer with the HxR regulators standard.

Either way I wouldn't be worried about the output capabilities of this amp. From my experience, they have quite a bit more jam than the NC400's, which are in no way power deficient either.

If the output isn't enough for your requirements, there's quite a few commercial amps with the NC1200 modules available. Whether the extra expense is justified will be something the end user will have to decide.

Personally, i would be happy if there was a possibility to listen to a nc1200 based amp in Finland (at home). Those amps are rare like unicorns. No wonder the nc500 came out to oil things up. The power of nc400 is already quite enough for most applications, but i'd still like to evaluate the big brother as well. Can't spend that much blindly just on rumors and assumptions and datasheets.

I think the price of nc1200 is more based on market than specified by Hypex. As we remember there first nc1200 amp (pair) was around 6ke, for a while. Then another nc1200 based amp was priced around 12ke. Soon the 6ke amp was priced similarly. Correct me if i missed historical facts ;).

Last edited:
Acoustic Imagery is offering a nc500 monoblock set for $1999.

I just purchased a set of nc500's, a set of 1200 smps, and two Hypex input buffer boards for $1000US from someone who said they were an OEM who decided against manufacturing the amps.

Can these Hypex input buffer boards be get for DIY?
I have Anaview amps here that could benefit from a proper input buffer...
If these are OEM only, do you guys know any good and readily assembled alternatives?

hypex ncore

IMO Hypex Ncore amps that have extremely transparent buffer stages are best suited for $20000+ designs. Because their biggest shortcoming is when they are paired with cheap source gear.

When priced over $20000, people tend to pair them with much better source gear. This results in much higher opinions of the amp modules.

I think the LM4562 based buffer stages are excellent for use in Hypex based Ncore amps priced in the $2000-4000 range. They are more forgiving of the source components, and will likely be better received by folks pairing similar priced source components with them.

Last edited:
hypex ncore

Think of the NC-400 like a BMW M3. Razor sharp handling and light weight. May be a bit rough riding, but makes up for it on the track with a good driver. The M5 is more like the NC-500. Using the comfort setting button (the input buffer) you can set things to your personal tastes. . The NC-1200 is more like a M6 grand coupe with available tweaks to take it into super car territory.

Depending on your requirements and desires, they can all be the best choice.

Last edited:
hypex ncore

Indeed nothing wrong with discussing the whole ncore family - but I di thinkj it is important (and appropriate) to acknowledge any specific commercial interests.

Well if you think it's important to point that out then feel free to do so. I'm just explaining things as the way I see them based on my experience.

Of course everyone is open to express their own opinions on the matter as well. If anyone has opinions contrary to mine, I'm more than open to hearing them.

What is your experience with the Ncore family of amps? Have you ran all modules though the paces with a variety of input buffers?

Last edited:
Dear Gentlemen

We do need to remember that HYPEX are a Business.

Their end goal is to sell us as much product as possible.

It would not be frugal, nor make any Business sense to make the nc400 a perfect amplifier. Nobody would buy their more expensive Products otherwise, nor any newer developments in future.

If HYPEX were truly our Audio friends (Good Samaritans), they would be a not-for-profit organisation and sell us all nc1200, for what they cost to make them... You can bet they don't cost $12000 to churn out... :)

I do not believe nc400 is a perfect Amplifier, neither the nc500, not nc1200 - they will release something 'better' in future <-- this is a certainty!

I would still like to know why the nc500 2ohm is so short...by rights it should be closer to 1600W, not 550W? Bridging comes to mind, or HYPEX protecting the nc1200 (for now) ...would be very interesting to know ;-)

Keep posting, am enjoying the ride.

Ps. This section is called VENDORS BAZAR after all !

Dear Gentlemen

Their end goal is to sell us as much product as possible.

It would not be frugal, nor make any Business sense to make the nc400 a perfect amplifier. Nobody would buy their more expensive Products otherwise, nor any newer developments in future.

If HYPEX were truly our Audio friends (Good Samaritans), they would be a not-for-profit organisation and sell us all nc1200, for what they cost to make them... You can bet they don't cost $12000 to churn out... :)

I do not believe nc400 is a perfect Amplifier, neither the nc500, not nc1200 - they will release something 'better' in future <-- this is a certainty!

I would still like to know why the nc500 2ohm is so short...by rights it should be closer to 1600W, not 550W? Bridging comes to mind, or HYPEX protecting the nc1200 (for now) ...would be very interesting to know ;-)

Keep posting, am enjoying the ride.

I truly believe Bruno is designing the best amp modules he can for the price he is offering them for. When you have the real deal you don't need to blow smoke up people's ***** to get by.

As I explained earlier, in order to make the NC500's higher current capable at 2 ohms requires more beefy circuitry. That circuitry costs more money to build. That's what the NC1200 is for.

Last edited:

Indeed, but when somebody clearly representing Hypex posts here, we know to put that in the right perspective. When somebody else posts something, I do think it is appropriate to signal a significant commercial interest. Nothing wrong in the interest, but I prefer it to be disclosed and acknowledged.

And just to be clear, I really appreciate bavmike's observations, I just personally feel a disclaimer would have perhaps been appropriate.

hypex ncore

Indeed, but when somebody clearly representing Hypex posts here, we know to put that in the right perspective. When somebody else posts something, I do think it is appropriate to signal a significant commercial interest. Nothing wrong in the interest, but I prefer it to be disclosed and acknowledged.

And just to be clear, I really appreciate bavmike's observations, I just personally feel a disclaimer would have perhaps been appropriate.

If Hypex was worried about NC500 based amps destroying their NC400 DIY business, they probably wouldn't have released them.

How about we let the end users make their own minds up on their personal tastes?

Status
Not open for further replies.