hypex ncore - Page 105 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th December 2011, 09:11 PM   #1041
tiki is offline tiki  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Putzeys View Post
...(strong preference for the "chemtronics soder wick" brand, the rest is rubbish)
Thanks, I "used" the second types until now.
Quote:
and finally remove the flux with a tissue and acetone.
Alcohol or spirit should do that as well, a bit less harmful.
Old 28th December 2011, 09:16 PM   #1042
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
just curious... how come no epoxy-covered "secret circuit" like found on UCD's?
Old 28th December 2011, 09:28 PM   #1043
diyAudio Member

Hard to cover in epoxy what you've published in patents and papers.
Old 28th December 2011, 10:53 PM   #1044
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
1) I have, its fairly easy using a solder pump.
In the same time it takes to remove and clear the holes for one through-hole resistor, you can remove 5-10 SMD ones.
Just use a pair of precision tweezers to hold the part and heat both pads (if you move fast enough you can heat the other side before the 1st one solidifies).
Old 29th December 2011, 01:23 AM   #1045
Tom4s is offline Tom4s  Luxembourg
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Putzeys View Post
Off topic: I'm being hounded here to place the 1000th post on this thread. Not bad. Some threads about new projects reach 3000 and still no hardware in sight
Being the OP, and having been diverted to lots of other stuff this fall, I finally had some time to catch up on this thread -- and got totally blown away by how well the project has been received. The price for the module is just at the right spot too. Congratulations to the whole Hypex team!! 2012 is sure to be a fine year for you, and I'm pleased to see that you have stayed well clear of any Osborne effect.

So, should I order two power supplies or is one enough for a pair of these puppies? I have a pair of ancient (but well kept and lovingly maintained) Infinity Quantum 3 speakers, 4 Ohms nominally but will probably go down below 3 at some frequencies, and they're very inefficient. I like to play loud at times, so I guess two PS's should be on the order.

Oh, and what is the input sensitivity (Volts, please) for maximum rated output with and without R141 in place?

Last edited by Tom4s; 29th December 2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: added question
Old 29th December 2011, 06:09 AM   #1046
diyAudio Member

A mention was made a while back to Ncore technology being incorporated into the UcD250 and a new UcD400oem.

Are the the UcD400oem's shipping now the "new" units with the upgrades, or is that amp still to come?
Old 29th December 2011, 06:13 AM   #1047
diyAudio Member

@tom4s, I suppose that means you did a good thing starting the thread
One supply will go up to 2x300W. Personally I'd think this is enough in most circumstances but with two 4-ohm speakers you can definitely force the supply into shutdown.

Since gain is (very nearly) 20x, you need 2Vrms for full power. When you drop the input stage gain to 1 you need 9.6V. In that case please drive the input with a symmetrical voltage source because 9.6V on only one input terminal will overdrive it before the amp clips. Unless you're a fan of very efficient loudspeakers I'd say leave R141 in place.

@lotus, the current UcD400oems are indeed the updated version.

Last edited by Bruno Putzeys; 29th December 2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 29th December 2011, 06:34 AM   #1048
diyAudio Member

Great to know!
Thank you much for the reply.
Old 29th December 2011, 06:51 AM   #1049
diyAudio Member

I've connected my DAC directly to the NC400's, with the volume control in the digital domain. It delivers 12 dBu, which is 3.09 V. With R141 removed, I get 12.4 dB gain, which is 4.17x. At 0 DBFS from the DAC, that gives me 3.09 x 4.17 = 12.8853 V, which is 20,75W into 8 ohms. Not all that much, but it is actually more than I ever need. I now that, because I never ever reach 0 DBFS from the DAC....

Which also means that I am operating in the range of the NC400 where distortion is almost unmeasureable.
Old 29th December 2011, 08:54 AM   #1050
Tom4s is offline Tom4s  Luxembourg
diyAudio Member

@Bruno, it is an honour to have started this thread! Thanks for the suggestions. But is there anything to gain with a dual mono configuration, other than maximum power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
with the volume control in the digital domain. [...] I never ever reach 0 DBFS
@StigErik, you do know that this means that you never ever use the full bit resolution of your DAC? In fact, at low listening levels you would introduce lo-fi "bit crunching" distortion. I now see why you wanted to decrease the Ncore input sensitivity... In your situation I think I would set the DAC at full scale output and use a passive volume control, such as this little unit. or perhaps this one. (Amazing prices for balanced volume controls.)

Last edited by Tom4s; 29th December 2011 at 09:13 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!