• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Open project: ±50v smps for audio amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you are interested in switch-mode power supplies for audio amplifiers, you may want to check this link:
http://www.poweramp.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2

This is an open project intended to be used for Audio Power Amplifiers, Class AB or Class D.

Full construction details for version 1 are given here:
http://www.poweramp.ro/forum/download/file.php?id=1

According to the information available, these are the mains characteristics for Version 1:

• Output voltage of ±50V at 5A continuous (7A peak for 5 minutes or 10A peak for 1 minute).

• The maximum output power is thermally limited by the heatsink and components maximum operating temperature.

• The output ripple is about 10mV with no-load and below 200mV at 5A.

• For a step load of 1 to 5A the output voltage variation is less than 2V.

• This project does not incorporate power factor control - the current drawn from the mains will an average of 5A for 220V AC at maximum output power and 10A for 110V.

• The average efficiency is 87% and the efficiency at maximum output power is 90.7%
It seems that boards are (or will be available) for purchase in the future - this is my assumption, so keep that in mind.

I will keep this one on my radar screen. :radar:

Regards,

some test results. photos can speak for themself. on top of the instuments stack, is the Power Analyzer. this measure the input current, voltage, power factor and power. next, the upper scope, the digital one monitor the output vawe, directly on the transformer pins. the lower one, has one channel DC coupled on the bridge, probes set to x10 and scope at 5V/div, 5uS and another channel AC coupled, probes x10, 5V/div, 5us and is connected to vbus. what can see there is the AC ripple. the two multimeters from below the analog scope measures the output voltages, one for positive, one for negative. at the bottom, with the audio analyzer i measure the output voltage ripple at 3, 5 and 6A. the probe is x10, so multiply with 10.
on the other side lays the DC electronic load. because is rated at just 300W, i connected in series 2 power resistors to limit the maximum power, otherwise i cannot load the smps with more than 300W. the current reading is accurate, but the voltage reading should be added to the voltage drop on the resistors, wich is proportional with the current. anyway for accurate voltage reading, i use those 2 lab. multimeters below the scope.

i can attach just few photos, for more details, please follow the link http://www.poweramp.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2&p=11#p11

Attachments

• Test Setup.JPG
    Test Setup.JPG
    340.6 KB · Views: 3,026
  • SMPS Board under test.JPG
    SMPS Board under test.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 2,909
  • Intstruments.JPG
    Intstruments.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 2,761
Last edited:
Hello CNX

I am interested in getting the kit you are offering and get my soldering iron going.:rolleyes:

I see on the website that it is possible to order the ready-made SMPS with the optional E55 transformer.
Is this option applicable for the KIT version? Please advise.

Thanks! :up:

Hello CNX

I am interested in getting the kit you are offering and get my soldering iron going.:rolleyes:

I see on the website that it is possible to order the ready-made SMPS with the optional E55 transformer.
Is this option applicable for the KIT version? Please advise.

Thanks! :up:

i'm opened for any combination. please contact me and we disscuse about.

the output voltage depends on the transformer turns ratio, output inductor value, capacitor voltage and control loop setting. so, is possible to get any output voltage from let's say +-30 to +-80V by changing this components or without chaning can get +-50V in the range of +-20%.

more infos, and test photos here: http://www.poweramp.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2
access this link directely, since the main page will throw you to some fake site, thanks to the concurent team which spend time trying virus attacks on my site instead of developing their product.

it is possible to provide other voltages than +-50V, if the difference is biger than +-20% than i have to use transformer wounded for that specific voltage. when you order, please mention what voltage you need, so i can use the proper transformer for the board, or just contact me on pm for more details.
all the outputs, are regulated, including the aux. voltage output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.