• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Extreme Open Baffle Active Speaker inspired by Linkwitz LX521

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My room with the LX at Frickelfest 2014....

Attachments

• ff14 LX.jpg
    ff14 LX.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 1,905
Hehe, reminds me of the episode where Worf asked someone to retune some of his Klingon Operas to have less than a certain % of total harmonic distortion.

Leaves. That helps with the image, it simply looks like lots of mixed refuse from here.

How well did the speakers respond to what's probably a very lively room?

The sound was so so. Played soft it worked well.
One problem is that the DSP is not tuned perfect yet.
Curryman, the guy that helps me with the DSP, was so busy that we did not find the time to adjust it.
Nevertheless some people liked it. It resolved and staged really well but i missed some body. Maybe i should not have put it so far into the room.
Also the room was not very deep. It sounded best with the back door closed but still we sat maybe too close.
Another thing is that there are a lot of social activities on Frickelfest so the focus is not so much on the sound.

beaten

I admit defeat . I am a new member since yesterday , but have been actively lurking in here and conversing with Rudolf over email . Just read my introduction post . I really was under the impression that I would be the first to build a dipole using the Mundorf AMT 25d1.1 but alas , you beat me to it .
Anyway , my project is not finished yet but I already have some pics of the H-frame , minimal baffle for mids and tweets with drivers mounted (midranges are Wavecor WAF138 ) The 2 x 12 inch woofers should arrive from AEspeakers this week I hope . DSP is MiniDSP Nanondigi 2 x 8 . Music source is USB port from PC going into UltraFi USB cleaner followed by M2Tech HiFace USB to SPDIF converter . Amps are 2 x 180 watts Hypex UcD HG for midrange and tweeter with voltage regulators , separate power supplies (and optional battery power
supply . Woofers idem ditto , but 2 x 400 watts
The baffle form is as narrow as possible for each driver to optimise sound dispersion as high in the frequency range as needed for the Xover point . Xovers will be around 250 and 1750 Hz

Attachments

• PICT0101.JPG
    PICT0101.JPG
    743.6 KB · Views: 1,713
  • PICT0102.JPG
    PICT0102.JPG
    720.5 KB · Views: 1,550
  • PICT0103.JPG
    PICT0103.JPG
    729.8 KB · Views: 1,427
  • PICT0104.JPG
    PICT0104.JPG
    795.1 KB · Views: 1,406
Looks good. Good luck with the sound.
This is also a non baffle but on a much higher scale :
6moons industry features: Audio Esoterica visits Kyron Audio in Australia
These guys even did away with a U , H or I frame . Extremely ineffeicient . You need lotsa big woofers then with a very high Xmax (not so good for Rms) to get some bass out of it . Very expensive . And no dipole tweeter . My first OB also had only a forward firing Visaton softdome . Then I build a no baffle with a cheap Visaton FRSX5 dome tweeter which does radiate to the rear up to 4 Khz . Significant improvement . Then I build a no baffle with the B&G magnetostat : even better and a perfect 8 dispersion pattern from 25 Hz till 8 Khz in the horizontal plane . My goal is now the perfect 8 from 25 hz until 15 maybe 16 Khz . I believe that by having the tweeter on no baffle to speak off , I might pull it off

Nice , but ... the midrange can never be radiating in a perfect 8 throughout its full range , because the baffle is way too wide to reach the minimum Xover frequency of 1600 Hz to the tweeter without blowing up the radiation pattern
That's why I chose 2 x 13.8 cm wide midranges crossed over at 1750 Hz and because I have 190 cm^2 and 3.5 mm Xmax I can Xover as low as 250 hz , so that I can have a 500 mm dipole distance for my woofers
The wooders seem to be operating in a Ripole config

Could you post your MiniDSP settings?

The midrange honk could be that the dipole peak for the mids isn't being adequately Eqed.

It can be tricky. My Orions needed a big cut at around 500Hz and I thought I'd have to move up a bit for the narrower baffle on my similar speakers to yours. In fact, I had to go all the way up to 1200Hz.

However, if it is pure mid honk, it is more likely to be the bass peak. I don't know if the LAT's work like a typical dipole, but if so there will be a rising response above 100Hz or so.

Measuring nearfield in the bass is tricky. I've usually ended up doing farfield measurements to give the dipole stuff time to develop. It may be heretical, but I think listening position measurements can also be very useful.

We are still working on the DSP settings.
Sorry for such slow progress.
me too , got a phase problem in the xover from bass to midrange . They already sound better than anything I made sofar , but still . Must say those Mundorf dipole airmoyton 25d1.1 tweeters are absolutely awesome ! The detail is just way beyond anything I ever heard . Miles ahead . Absolutely no complaints either about my Wavecor midranges , just superb and the wooofer section is very very clean wrt distortion
A DJ friend of mine said he never had heard a trumpet sounding so naturally and his comment about detail was also revealing : sometimes it is just too much to process

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.