• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

VSSA Lateral MosFet Amplifier

Today I did listen to VSSA one channel and I have to say it has a potential. :cool:

Because I have installed VAS transistors on the main heatsink I had to use ref zener as bias spreader and it works, 100 mA bias for the outputs is completely stable. VAS bias goes from 10 mA (cold start) to 15 mA working conditions and stayed stable also on small heatsink as it is.

Measured output impedance and it is negative: at 4 Vrms unloaded I got 4,05 Vrms loaded with 4 ohm resistor. :confused:
Tomorrow I'll do it again, probably the positive probe was too close to sources pin of the output mosfets and I measured also voltage drop on that lead. :rolleyes:

Otherwise it worked fluently. :up:

.....Thanks L.C , another PCB , attached :)

Happy New Year to all diy members ! Alex.

Attachments

• VSSA PCB REV 3.0.jpg
    VSSA PCB REV 3.0.jpg
    558.8 KB · Views: 1,650
LC, according to nice Alex mm work, do you think VAS tansistors heatsink are sufficient? They mesure 15x10mm surface. On ebay wa can find those unit that are 20mm long.

Marc

Hi Marc

VAS BJTs have 0.6 W dissipation, at 45°C final temperature, we need heatsink with 30 K/W temp koeficient, so check the specifications.

If VAS BJTs are on the top of PCB, 120 ohm bias spreader is OK, if they're on the main heatsink, ref zener (shunt regulator) is a must. I measured Vgg=1,5165 V at 100 mA output bias. ;)

Measurements from today gives similar results like yesterday. 100 kHz 16 Vrms on 8 ohm (2 Arms) gives +5 mV when loaded, so VSSA has negative output impedance.

At 1 MHz 16 Vrms on 8 ohm I measured 100 mV voltage drop on output impedance, that gives us 50 mohm output impedance or damping factor 160.

-3dB lower roll-off is at 6 Hz so maybe I'll higher feedback impedance to 2,2k/100 ohm to go down to 3 Hz.

I'll assemble cmos square wave generator to test 10 kHz to 1 MHz squares response.

Regards L.C. :cheers: