• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SB Acoustics Satori Monitor

It is a bit silent here because i ran into a mechanical problem. The rooting of the woofers is too tight in the factory made cabinets. I have to turn down the diameter of the woofers on a lathe a bit. It is maybe less then half of a millimeter.
I hope to solve that this week and then i will finish the speakers so that i can listen.

I encountered this bloody problem twice although it was not my fault. In my case intolerance was something around 0,3 mm (very tight routing plus quite thick layer of varnish and around 220 mm woofer diameter). I took lathing knife and first removed all the varnish from routing corners gently so that not to scratch the varnish on the front of the cabinet; in the second case I had to deepen the routing with sandpaper wrapped on the big diameter round wooden block - it helped in both cases. Lathing of transducer's frame seems to be a bit risky operation, especially since these boxes are prototypes only.

After you widen the cabinet opening a bit, you can just use a black marker to darken the wood so it doesn't show when you mount the woofer.

You may also want the edge of the woofer to stick up ever so slightly (1/2 mm?) to improve appearance after you scrape off that fine finish. You could do that by adding a thin gasket behind the woofer...

I have now measured the drivers in the cabinet.
Here is the bass tuning. Both tubes open is a bit high but some will actually will like this when the speakers are in a bigger room, far away from walls. Stuffing one tube gives a flat result. I think this tuning option is good so i have no desire to change the cabinet design.

Attachments

• Satori Monitor Bass ZMA.JPG
    Satori Monitor Bass ZMA.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 2,180
  • Satori Monitor Bass one tube stuffed ZMA.JPG
    Satori Monitor Bass one tube stuffed ZMA.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 2,137
  • Real Satori mon bass 2 tubes.JPG
    Real Satori mon bass 2 tubes.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 2,102
  • Real Satori mon bass 1 tube.JPG
    Real Satori mon bass 1 tube.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 2,018
Some may be interested how the output of the reflex tunnels looks at higher frequencies.
Here you have one tube compared to both tubes open. There is some wide range output but it is not very peaky. I think a good result.

Attachments

• Satori Mon output one tube.JPG
    Satori Mon output one tube.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,986
  • Satori Mon output two tubes.JPG
    Satori Mon output two tubes.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Some may be interested how the output of the reflex tunnels looks at higher frequencies.
Here you have one tube compared to both tubes open. There is some wide range output but it is not very peaky. I think a good result.

Yes, those look nice!

A port tuning of 51Hz seems rather high. How large is the enclosure?

For the 4Ohm Satori I will test and try out a 20 litre enclosure and a port tuning of 34-36Hz, which gives an almost text-book QB3 alignment.

I think the Satori has the potential to be a great bass performer and it seem to be a bit wasted performance, not to use it fully.

Of course, this is also a matter of taste and room setup and there is no right or wrong here. ;)

Regards

/Göran

Yes, the cabinet is a bit small und the tuning high. In a bigger cabinet it will go deeper but also has to pump harder. We also wanted the cabinet to look nice and be compact.
i am thinking about designing a fitting Sub if anybody wants deeper bass.
The Guru clone cabinets are bigger and deeper tuned any way so there is already an option.
Today i finished the crossovers for the SB made cabinets. As far as i can tell my work is done now. SB will offer ready made cabinets and crossovers so you can build a professional looking speaker pair. Actually there is not much to build. Stuff the enclosure, fit the crossover, connect and mount the drivers and you are set. If you want to DIY more there is the Guru clone.
Here are the measurements and the crossover values. The crossover is a compromise between frequency linearity and best phase tracking.
It turned out to be really simple. Only 5 parts, 4 when you use a high resistance coil parallel to the tweeter.
Voltage sensitivity is about 6 dB lower then the Guru clone, partly because the woofer is 8 Ohm and partly because the ready made cabinets are much slimmer so there is a bigger baffle step to EQ.

Attachments

• Satori Monitor 8 Ohm TT crossover.pdf
    7.6 KB · Views: 945
  • Satori Monitor 8 Ohm etc.pdf
    11.5 KB · Views: 311
  • Satori Monitor 8 Ohm step.pdf
    11.9 KB · Views: 329
  • Satori Monitor 8 Ohm imp.pdf
    17.3 KB · Views: 336
  • Satori Monitor 8 Ohm frd null.pdf
    16.8 KB · Views: 424
  • Satori Monitor 8 Ohm individual phase.pdf
    12.8 KB · Views: 434
  • Satori Monitor 8 Ohm frd.pdf
    16.8 KB · Views: 762
  • Satori Monitor 8 Ohm HT crossover.pdf
    9.6 KB · Views: 863
Last edited:
I optimised the crossover for ca. 15° off axis. Straight on axis there are some bumps that disappear off axis.

Yes, I usually do the same.

I like the very simple, but yet nicely done filter design. :cheers:

What I don't like is the low sensitivity! It's to low for my taste and I think the 4 ohm version is a better choice for a small stand-mount monitor. ;)

I think the 8 ohm version would be great for a small 2.5-way floor-stander. :D

Have you done any distortion tests on the finished design in order to see how the tweeter copes with the low cross-over point and shallow slope?

Regards

/Göran

I have now setup the speakers and i have listened quite a bit. I am very impressed about what i hear. This is certainly a low distortion, low energy storage speaker.
The cabinet is superbly quiet and the image is totally free of the speakers unless the signal is pan potted close up straight into left or right, the way it should be but rarely happens. I will tell you more soon.