• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Array's Sales

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is a picture of the MH-35 tweeter

Attachments

• mh-35 medley -opt.jpg
    mh-35 medley -opt.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 64
KEF Celestion Turbo Tweeters HF1300 $75/pr

For sale are a pair of legendary Celestion / KEF "Turbo" Tweeters, originally developed for the BBC for use in their studios. Model HF1300 I beleive.

These drivers were used in Rogers, IMF, Fried, Celestion & KEF models.

Both tweeters are fully functional and in all-original condition. Ready for use. Comes with die-cut airseals.

$75/pr

Attachments

• tweeter front.jpg
    tweeter front.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 378
Some hope for people who missed buying them from ARRAY and a bit of background.
They are Celestion rather than KEF but they were frequently used as the tweeter above the KEF B139 and B110 in a number of DIY and IMF tranmission lines etc and that's where the link with KEF seems to comes in. Celestion no longer make them. A gentleman in England emailed me to the effect that the tooling for the HF1300 was sold by Celestion to COLES Electroacousitcs in the UK. I am not 100% sure but as I understand it they were originally the "compression" driver for a hornloaded tweeter system that was used with a very early 8" metal cone unit from GEC and that combination goes way back to the mid 1950's. I don't think that the BBC actually developed them. They liked them because they were 'flat' and "uncoloured". Early BBC monitors used them down to around 1500 c/s (with a 12" paper cone woofer) although their resonance is about 1700c/s. Generally all the commecial units ran them from 3 kHz. You can add at least two early B&W models to the list ARRAY mentioned too. Subsequently the BBC 3-way bextrene coned units of the 1960's and smaller monitors with 8" bass/mids used them. There are two versions, big and small magnet and two imepedences, 8 and 15 ohms.

Now the good news is that I think the current Coles 3000 is the same unit as the Celestion HF1300 with a different front plate. I was visiting their site a few days ago and you'll find it there along with the Coles 4001 which is the old STC4001. This is a super tweeter that was often used with the HF1300. It can run from around 6,000c/s. The HF1300 only goes to about 14/15,000 cycles and so people used to run 'super' tweeters on top of it. I have heard that the BBC never worried about the limited range as their FM broadcasts didn't go any higher so they didn't stress about the last half octave.

I'm sure that our English collegues will add/correct this data if they see this thread. I've owned both versions. My wife picked up a pair when on a business trip to the UK in 1978: still going well. BTW`way if you want the COLES`site enter COLES ELECTROACOUSTICS in Google. (Coles Acousitcs doesn't get anywhere)
Jonathan Bright

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Jonathan Bright said:
Now the good news is that I think the current Coles 3000 is the same unit as the Celestion HF1300 with a different front plate.

Quite correct.

The HF1300 only goes to about 14/15,000 cycles and so people used to run 'super' tweeters on top of it. I have heard that the BBC never worried about the limited range as their FM broadcasts didn't go any higher so they didn't stress about the last half octave.

Again quite correct, UK FM transmissions have never gone above 15K.

...Coles Acousitcs doesn't get anywhere...

Well, it woudn't would it? ;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Jonathan Bright said:
I have heard that the BBC never worried about the limited range as their FM broadcasts didn't go any higher so they didn't stress about the last half octave.

As you say, the radio boys never worried, but once we went from 405 line television (introduced in 1936 as "high-definition" television) to 625 line television, the line frequency went up from 10.125kHz to 15.625kHz, and because floor monitors are common in TV studios, the microphones might pick up a whistling line scan transformer, so it was important that loudspeakers could reproduce 15.625kHz and reveal the problem. That's why there was a later generation of BBC monitor loudspeakers with the STC4001.

Actually, the reason why TV were worried about 15.625kHz is quite interesting. At the time, the BBC used a mono Sound-In-Syncs (SIS) digital audio system that put (and I'm stretching my memory here) 20 digits in each line sync pulse and sampled at 31.25kHz, making it a 10 bit system. Ten bits isn't enough for quality audio, so a companding system was used that added a 15.625kHz pilot tone to the signal before applying it to a compressor. The compressor reduced the level of the pilot tone, and at the SIS decoder, an AGC system was used to restore the correct pilot tone level, simultaneously expanding the audio. The interesting thing is that because the pilot tone was synchronised to the sample frequency, you really could carry fs/2.

Scientific Audio Research MOS450 225WPC Power Amplifier - superb!

Up for sale is the spectacular "MOS 450", 225 watt per channel stereo power amplifier, handbuilt in Canada by Scientific Audio Research Labs (S.A.R. Labs)

You'll have to ask around the audiophile community about S.A.R. Labs because it will be unlikely you'll ever find an advertisement for them. Word of mouth is all that is required, and has been for nearly 30 years.

The incredible talent behind the design and creation of S.A.R. Labs is Walter Romanyshyn. Equally incredible is his modesty. Walter quietly employs his gift of building beautiful sounding amplifiers and lets his work speak for itself. Technicians and designers alike marvel at Walters knowledge, skill level and craftsmanship. As others have stated: "Walter may on rare occasion be equalled, but never beaten!".

Onto the amplifier:

The MOS 450 utilizes many selected components in its construction beginning with two custom designed EI-core power transformers per unit. Power supplies utilize multiple arrangements of low-ESR storage capacitors for exceptional musical dynamics and an extremely low noise floor.

In order to achieve excellent linearity, wide bandwidth and superior transient response, the amplifier employs 8 fully complementary ultra fast HEX MOSfets per output stage. The transistors are mounted on specially plated heat sinks that provide ample thermal dissapation and sustained safe operation at high power levels.

In addition to the use of selected components, the MOS 400 also incorporates many design innovations such as an advanced feedback system design and a unique biasing layout which completely eliminates the possibility of any crossover distortion.

Specifications:

Power Requirements 120VAC@60Hz
Continuous Power @1KHz 225-Watts@8-Ohms
Power Bandwidth 10Hz-20KHz +0.25dB
Total Harmonic Distortion 0.1%
Damping Factor Greater Than 500 @8-Ohms
Signal To Noise Ratio Greater Than -100dB Below 200-Watts RMS
Input Sensitivity 1VAC RMS For 200-Watts @8-Ohm
Input Impedance Unbalanced:100K Balanced: 80K
Balanced Inputs CMRR Greater Than 90dB
Input Polarity Non-Inverting At Unbalanced Inputs
Balanced Pins +2/-3 IEC-268
Input Connectors 2-RCAFemale/2-XLR Female
Output Connectors 4-5 Way Binding Posts
Indicators 2 Overload LED's

The MOS450 is a rare acheivement, combining the desirable sonics of tube amplification with the punch of a solid state amplifier.

If you desire a superb sounding amplifier from a small company who creates exceptional build quality and artisanship into each peice then look no further.

You'd pay a lot more than this for an amplifier that sounds this good. From the original owner, it is offered at $1000.

Please contact for further information.

Attachments

• picture_012 -opt.jpg
    picture_012 -opt.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 342
ALTEC Valencia - SUPERB - A7 Componentry

For sale are a beautiful pair of Altec Valencias, model 846B. Fully functional and ready for use. These are the home component version of the A7 "Voice of the Theatre" loudspeaker.

From the original owner who purchased them new so long ago, they are in wonderful condition. They really took care of them. The original cover templates have been recovered with cloth. Of course, after nearly 35 years the original reticulated foam cover has expired.

Serial numbers one digit off consecutive #7713 & #7715

These are 8ohm systems.

The 416 woofer cones are perfect. Original 806 diaphragms. All drivers employ Alnico structures. Original crossovers > N800-8K

You'd be hard pressed to find as nice a pair as these.

Buyers will have to arrange for shipping and carriers, this includes finding out all estimates (i.e. shipping quotes). I'll transport these anywhere within the city to the carrier but will be responsible for drop-off only (not for crating, palletizing etc)

Cabinets weigh approx 100lbs each and measure 75cm tall, 67cm wide and 51cm deep

US$850 (CDN$1000)

Attachments

• valencias 010  -opt.jpg
    valencias 010 -opt.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 504
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.