• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any comments about my earlier suggestion:

4real said:

Speaking about that: the USB board also has a SPDIF output. Would it be smart to link that to the new Wolfson SPDIF receiver, let it decently reclock there, and then let the data go to the DAC from there, in stead of directly linking the USB receiver to the DAC? My guess is that jitter might be reduced even further (the PCM2707 doesn't really say a lot about that though).

An added bonus might be that switching the SPDIF signal might be a lot easier that switching I2S.

:confused:

Here's what I use...

cd-player and receiver
Generic RCA cable that came with a receiver (rca to rca), then a small single pair from CAT5 cable (just cause I have a bunch)

receiver and DAC
some 24ga PVC wire I picked up (stranded)

DAC and Balanced Output Sockets
pairs from CAT5, re-wound into three wire sets instead of pairs (see reason above)
can be see here used with an embedded BETA Opus

power supply (yours) and components
some 24ga PVC wire I picked up (stranded)

I've finally gotten around to doing some comparisons with the Opus. Against my Zhaolu D2.5a with a Zapfilter installed, I prefer the Opus in most cases, with the most common edge to the Zapfiltered Zhaolu being bass volume (not necesarrily quality). The Zhaolu might also do sax a little bit better, as well.

I don't have any buffer installed in my Opus at the moment...would adding something like the Zapfilter make the bass more present? My guess is that it would, but I'm relatively new to this ;)

fierce_freak said:
I've finally gotten around to doing some comparisons with the Opus. Against my Zhaolu D2.5a with a Zapfilter installed, I prefer the Opus in most cases, with the most common edge to the Zapfiltered Zhaolu being bass volume (not necesarrily quality). The Zhaolu might also do sax a little bit better, as well.

I don't have any buffer installed in my Opus at the moment...would adding something like the Zapfilter make the bass more present? My guess is that it would, but I'm relatively new to this ;)

Non secure webserver ?

Working

Hi,

my two Opus arrived yesterday. Tonight I connected them to the two USB->I2S converters from DDAC (PCM2707 based), then to PC: both Opus are playing music now together with Foobar. :D Tomorrow I'll compare the Opus with my Wolfson 8740 evaluation board.

Interesting is that the two Opus can play together with Foobar (tried it in XP and Vista). :cool: The system detects both PCM2707 as "USB Audio Dac" and installs the drivers automatically. But you can't use two USB Audio Dac with Foobar directly.

First you must use ASIO4ALL asio driver. ASIO4ALL detects the two Dac and assigns two ASIO channels for each one for a total of four channels. When done, Foobar detects 4 independent outputs.

Bad news is that I'm not able to make work the Foobar DSP crossover plugin (http://xover.sourceforge.net/.)

Does it exist another DSP software or somebody can take a look to the Foobar plugin?

P.S.
The DDAC USB boards will go to my PC at work, so I'm still waiting for USB boards to be released by Twisted Pear to order together with a couple of Ballsie :D

Re: Wire gauge between IEC socket and Transformer?

DarrenWadsworth said:
I am planning on using a terminal block to connect the 2 transformers for my diy cd-player to the single IEC input socket. What gauge wire should I use between the 110v power input socket and the terminal strip?

Thank you
Darren

18-20ga should be just fine. At the currents the CDP or DAC will see anything more is overkill.

We no longer offer it as a kit. The reason is that we were pre-mounting the SMD parts (TSOP, very very small), but could not test them unless the rest of the board was built up.

The consensus from feedback (which we were surprised by) was that people preferred pre-assembled modules.

The new boards will be almost all surface mount parts, which would not make a very good first project.

FWIW: The power supplies will still be kits, and good for beginner builders.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.