• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
matjans said:
Hey Russ,

Can't wait for you initial findings! I've been waiting for a good, well-designed dac. Let's hope it performs evenly well as the other Twisted kits (or, of course, better ;) ).

as always, silently lurking in the shadows until a kit is ready ... :clown:

Matt

Thanks!

Just a few more more parts to get here and we will all know. :) I have 90% of the parts.

Cheers!
Russ

ezkcdude said:
Is there a BOM for this project? I looked through the last several pages, and didn't come across one, but maybe I missed it.

Also, I would recommend upgrading the resistors to Vishay PTF or similar high precision where possible :D.

I asure you we are currently using resistors perfectly suited to their task on the PCB. :)

Also the BOM is on our site.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White said:

I asure you we are currently using resistors perfectly suited to their task on the PCB. :)

Also the BOM is on our site.

Cheers!
Russ

So, now I can't give suggestions to DIYers? I'm well aware I may get booted off the forum for saying this, but this thread really should be in the vendor's section. I thought this forum was for DIYers, not kit sellers. Frankly, your choice of using through-hole pull-up/pull-down resistors and decoupling caps baffles me. Good luck selling your DIY kit ;)

It looks to me like Mr Russ designs the PCB WITH everyone on the thread and then sells the kit with minimal profit.

Even if he does make a bucket load, which I doubt, everyone else is happy with the way he does things, so go on Mr White.

It's friday night (at least in Cape Town), grab a brewskie.

PS. My mauro amp is kick-***!!! Thanks for your help Russ.

ezkcdude said:

So, now I can't give suggestions to DIYers? I'm well aware I may get booted off the forum for saying this, but this thread really should be in the vendor's section. I thought this forum was for DIYers, not kit sellers. Frankly, your choice of using through-hole pull-up/pull-down resistors and decoupling caps baffles me. Good luck selling your DIY kit ;)

Oh don't get me wrong... You can suggest all you like. :)

We don't have many of these to sell, just a few for friends. Only enough to recoup the cost of getting them made.

I am afraid there is probably nothing I can say to your other ideas to convince you. If you like, you may design a PCB from the publicly provided(free) schematics and try that version for yourself. My design choices are mine. I have previously described why I made them.

This thread is about an open design, not about the kit. The kit just happens to be the first implementation.

Cheers!
Russ

Wynand said:
It looks to me like Mr Russ designs the PCB WITH everyone on the thread and then sells the kit with minimal profit.

Even if he does make a bucket load, which I doubt, everyone else is happy with the way he does things, so go on Mr White.

It's friday night (at least in Cape Town), grab a brewskie.

PS. My mauro amp is kick-***!!! Thanks for your help Russ.

Oh you are welcome!

I wish I could share some beer we all who generously helped me here.

:drink:

Cheers!
Russ

So, now I can't give suggestions to DIYers?

Geez, man, chill out. It sounded like you were making a suggestion for the kit contents. Please upgrade or change whatever you like.

I thought this forum was for DIYers, not kit sellers

This thread has been open to all sort of suggestions on the DAC design, and still is. The board and kit is just our way of making it available, at as close to zero profit as we can. Everyone is free to make their own. Go ahead and use the schematic, we welcome it. As for the forum, we have actually added a forum to our site to take kit support off of DIYAudio, because we think it muddies the community.

Would you prefer: Hey thanks for helping design a cool DAC, Russ and I have had enough made for the two of us. Everyone else is on their own, tough luck? How charitable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.