• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

For Buffalo 3 users:

To play at max. volume with non-jumpered input channels on B3 it should be enough to set following:
- snd_soc_botic.serconfig="M-M-"
- enable channel remapping feature on the B3
- convert 2 channel data into to 4 channel audio

(verified with PCM only so far)

I expect "MDMD" value will be needed for PCM+DSD support.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
BTW: This is also not related to the Botic Linux driver.

The work you are sharing and the support you are offering are very generous. I suggest two small additions to the Botic home page:

1) A paypal 'donate' button! ...if only to help a little with your equipment and other costs... When I get set up I will use it! ...and I am sure that other users appreciate your work as much as me.

2) A statement on what you would like to provide as Botic support - the questions are only going to come more frequently and be more diverse!

I am curious about your vision for the future - What features would you like to add? This might help focus contributions from others toward the community of knowledge and open source code. [From the obvious to the sublime? ...perhaps I2C reports of player status, or IR sensor integration...] What will the 'finished' product be like in your own system?

Cheers :cheers:,

Frank

Last edited:
Hi Miero,

I second the proposal of Frank. I guess a lot of people will be glad to support you for the time you put in this project, including me.

I have noticed that quite an amount of my music files on my NAS is not indexed in the library. Even after repeatedly updating.

I have all my albums stored in separate folders and subfolders, mostly Flac files and some wav and mp3.
I can't figure out why some albums will not be indexed. These will index fine on my other streamers: Runeaudio, Volumio, LMS, MPDpup.

I have also noted that the albums (album artist names) are indexed differently from my other streamers, messing up the order in album list.

Is this a known bug? Do you have any advice on how to solve this?

Kind regards,

botic v5 update

Something like updated Botic driver is ready for testing...

Changes:
- fixed Right-Justified output mode (use snd_soc_botic.dai_format=16386)
- (EXPERIMENTAL and ugly) support for ALSA mixer controlled by /sbin/botic_helper
- should support USB memory sticks now
- probably fixes broken networking at boot
- new kernel 4.0, thus new features and new bugs

(for botic v4 or boticized volumio users only)
apt-get update
apt-get install linux-image-4.0.0-botic5

after reboot kernel version should be...
root@botic:~# uname -a
Linux botic 4.0.0-botic5 #1 PREEMPT Tue Apr 28 23:42:17 CEST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

(optional installation of I2C volume helper for ES9018)
# verify that ES9018 is readable
i2cdump -r 0-31 -y 1 0x48 b
# install helper
cd /sbin
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/miero/botic-tools/master/botic_helper
chmod +x botic_helper

(now try the volume mixer)
# enable helper (you can add this to /etc/rc.local)
echo "/sbin/botic_helper" > /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/helper_cmd
# try to adjust volumes
alsamixer

Botic v5 sources:
- https://github.com/miero/linux-dev/tree/master/patches/botic

Enjoy and report if it does not work. Thanks.

Something like updated Botic driver is ready for testing...

Wow! Wownderful! Many many thanks for this update.

(for botic v4 or boticized volumio users only)
apt-get update
apt-get install linux-image-4.0.0-botic5
I followed this instruction and got this after reboot:
Linux botic 4.0.0-botic5 #1 PREEMPT Tue Apr 28 23:42:17 CEST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

(optional installation of I2C volume helper for ES9018)
Well, could you please provide a similar helper for WM8741? I'll be happey if I can change the register value of Opus Dac for Direct DSD Operation like this way.

Again, thank you!

Thanks miero! With this update poweroff/reboot works correctly on my BBB b6 which was not previously!

but... no sound :)

i'm do the following:
1. install update to v5 without sabre options e.g. i2c sound control and alsamixer volume control enabler.
2. copy/paste in uEnv.txt my hardware config from v3

timer not ticking during playback
/etc/mpd.conf here now?

do you have Botic sound card available? check it with "aplay -l" command... if not, then you need to fix loading of .dtb

if you have it, then I think you are using BBB onboard oscillator which is not enabled by default in v4 or newer. ... in this case set the snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk=0

root@botic:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Botic [Botic], device 0: external dac-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
root@botic:~#

uEnv.txt (it works at v3.2):
optargs=coherent_pool=1M -snip- snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk=3 snd_soc_botic.clk_44k1=45158400 snd_soc_botic.clk_48k=49152000 snd_soc_botic.serconfig=-S-- snd_soc_botic.dsd_format_switch=0 snd_soc_botic.pinconfig=compat

I'm break it :) (sd-card image) and create new.
Command "apt-get update" say this:
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: Index of / wheezy-backports Release: The following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1587841717 KEYEXPIRED 1668891673
W: GPG error: Index of / wheezy Release: The following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1435805428 KEYEXPIRED 1435805428 KEYEXPIRED 1435805428
W: GPG error: Debian -- Security Information wheezy/updates Release: The following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1668892417 KEYEXPIRED 1587841717
W: GPG error: Index of / wheezy Release: The following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1587841717 KEYEXPIRED 1668891673 KEYEXPIRED 1557241909
W: GPG error: Index of / wheezy-updates Release: The following signatures were invalid: KEYEXPIRED 1587841717 KEYEXPIRED 1668891673
root@botic:~# apt-get install linux-image-4.0.0-botic5

It's normally?