• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I am pleased to find that squeezelite does what MPD currently does not do - it plays through pcm plugs in asound.conf. I built squeezelite without SoX support [make OPTS="-DDSD -DFFMPEG"] and run using squeezelite -o default. Output is not resampled. Squeezelite CPU demand is significant, but OK for now. BTW, with more than 2 channels the output is erroneus from the command: cat /proc/asound/Botic/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params

Next steps for me will be to wrangle the latest modular IIR filters in ALSA. :wave2s:

Two small questions: I followed Kinku's post but find that the squeezelite startup.sh script does not work. Is init.d the best option? Also I prefer to discontinue launching MPD at startup. Could the two operations be combined?

Cheers,

Frank

ps - Logitech Media Server is a pleasant surprise - ...like, "welcome to the decade"! :D

I get the same thing quite often. In my case, it resolves itself after a few reboots. I'm not sure why it happens though.
You guys jinxed me! I was doing ok. Then I read this message just before making some changes to a device (acko s03) downstream from the BBB. Then I could no longer connect easily. I suspect that I killed power to the BBB at some point in the cycle and somehow the OS is saving a state that it cannot recover from. I re installed the OS, went through all the configs to mount the NAS, and enable mpddroid. after a few tracks I tried to restart a given track and somehow the OS got stuck and will not even find the router on reboot. I am going to reinstall again and will attempt to get to root cause of why it used to be stable and now is kind of sensitive.
Works fine with Volumio so I know its not the hardware. When I can reliably describe the issue, I will log the incident in the issues spreadsheet. :confused:

The distro is worth the effort. Great sound particularly if you kill the software mixer in mpd.conf

DSD only playing at 100% volume

Finished my cronus/hermes build today.

Everything works perfectly. The only weird thing is that MPD only plays DSD when the software volume in MPD is set to 100%.

Any setting below 100% makes MPD not play the DSD at all.

I haven't integrated with I2C yet for hardware volume control.

Does anyone have a clue why this is the case?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
@francolargo nice! I look forward to seeing more!

I started a separate thread for this: LADSPA filters for digital crossovers on the BBB. There is lots of room for improvement, so please contribute freely! But I think there is lots of potential in the long run. For now I'll take a break to get new hardware finished, after which I'll go back to tinkering with software.

Many thanks to Russ, Brian, and Miero!!!

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I once applied various values to this parameter ranging from 1 to 5000 and found nothing significant to happen in DSD playback in my case.

Thank you, @twluke. I have no experience with DSD but would like to be able to try it in my system (which is still 'in development'). How do you manage and play DSD files? I put a 64x DSD file on the system and 'played' it with mpc, but only got nasty hiss. [However, for PCM files I'm messing with ALSA, which requires messing with mpd.conf.] TIA!

Thank you, @twluke. I have no experience with DSD but would like to be able to try it in my system (which is still 'in development'). How do you manage and play DSD files? I put a 64x DSD file on the system and 'played' it with mpc, but only got nasty hiss. [However, for PCM files I'm messing with ALSA, which requires messing with mpd.conf.] TIA!

My main DSD sources are mostly DSD128 files and there is no problem with playing them under MPD. You can use the default mpd.conf file provided with miero's botic system (botic5 for now) with minor change of bind_to_address from "localhost" to "any" in my case. The sound quality of DSD playback by botic5 with BBB/Hermes/Cronus is supurb and IMHO the contribution of the mpd binary with realtime option included in the the current botic system can not be ignored.

Rgds,

Joined 2007
Paid Member
My main DSD sources are mostly DSD128 files and there is no problem with playing them under MPD. You can use the default mpd.conf file provided with miero's botic system (botic5 for now) with minor change of bind_to_address from "localhost" to "any" in my case. The sound quality of DSD playback by botic5 with BBB/Hermes/Cronus is supurb and IMHO the contribution of the mpd binary with realtime option included in the the current botic system can not be ignored.

Rgds,

Great! Thanks. I will give a listen to see what I have been missing. With PCM, BBB-Botic-Hermes-Cronus-Buffalo is the best SQ I have heard.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have had some progress on this, what I am getting now is the following;

root@botic:~# ympd
MPD Connecting to 127.0.0.1:6600
MPD connection: Connection refused
MPD connection failed.

If I open YMPD in browser I get the same message, "connection refused" any ideas please?

Do you also have squeezelite running on the BBB concurrently?
I seem to remember that giving me the same problem. Alto,
I could be wrong. It has been awhile ago that I was having
that same problem.

Hi Meiro, very impressed with your ongoing work on this project, thank you.

I'm getting into using HQPlayer and, in an ideal world, I would like to have the option of using my existing BBB/Botic (feeding my TPA Buffalo IIIse DAC) as, in HQPlayer terms, the Network Audio Adaptor (NAA). I know this was touched on previously but I have a little more information available now and would appreciate it if you could check if I'm on the right track. I have a bit to learn but would like to at least try to progress this and I work with one or two people who have a good amount of Linux experience.

The HQPlayer NAA is available as a Debian-based package (Jessie). The author of HQPlayer has confirmed that the NAA component accepts data from HQPlayer, (via a proprietary interface I believe) and simply passes the data to ALSA. the data may be PCM or DSD.

My understanding is that Botic is Debian based and offers an ALSA 'layer' that is DSD ready (and a kernel config with pin out mappings etc.). What I'm not so clear about yet is where MPD ends and ALSA starts.

So, simplistically, I'm thinking that installing the NAA module onto Botic would be a sound starting point (not expecting it to work straight off, the devil is always in the detail) for an HQPlayer solution whilst retaining Botic functionality.

Or am I missing something simple/fundamental?

With the interest in HQPlayer developing I suspect others might be interested?

Thanks

Ray