• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Hi All

Can anyone advise what should be added to '/boot/uboot/uEnv.txt' on a Boticised Volumio installation?

I have added 'optargs=snd_soc_botic.ext_masterclk=3 snd_soc_botic.serconfig=MMMM'

I have everything installed and Volumio shows 'Botic' as the output device. It seems to be playing,
Code:
root@volumio:~# cat /proc/asound/Botic/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S16_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 90
buffer_size: 22050
root@volumio:~#

However, I only have two LEDs lit on Hermes (EN and 3) and nothing seems to be reaching my BIIIse.

Many thanks

Val

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Update: using active LADSPA crossover filters in BBB/Hermes/Cronus

I am slowly gaining momentum with the BBB speaker crossover project, and have some preliminary results that are promising. I plan to implement a two-way stereo crossover consisting of a highpass+delay and lowpass - 6 filters total. I now have a working prototype, though a critical step remains to be solved. The good news is that BBB should be able to run the six filters as high as 192kHz because at 96kHz/32bit the crossover draws ~30% CPU load. The high/lowpass filters are 4th order Linkwitz-Riley filters from Richard Taylor, the delay is from the Computer Music Toolkit.

As a noob to Linux and ALSA, I would appreciate any perspectives on the remaining problem. Usually MPD outputs data to ALSA and done. In this player/crossover system, MPD must send data to ecasound for filtering, and ecasound then sends it back to ALSA. With Botic, I have been struggling with ALSA configuration. I can’t logically distinguish the unfiltered output from MPD vs. some of the filtered output from ecasound. While it may seem rather straightforward, straying too far from “hw:0,0” breaks the streams. With my attenpts so far, it seems bit perfect data transfer would be much easier if the Botic ‘card’ included two hardware ’devices’ instead of one. I don’t know what it would take to add such a feature.

One way or another, I believe the BBB can and will become a great little non-resampling digital crossover in addition to a sweet player. I’m really hoping that system will be able to use the Music Player Daemon. Any and all comments or ideas much appreciated!

Best,

Frank

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I believe the BBB can and will become a great little non-resampling digital crossover in addition to a sweet player.

I solved the ALSA access problem only to realize that ecacound had been spoofing me and was filtering everything at 44.1. Not giving up, but need to get a handle on all of the sources of 'auto' resampling. There seem to be many, including MPD itself.

Frank

Volume level setting?

I am new user of Botic distro. Really like it, thank you.

Downloaded v5 and use it without change on bbb with cape to S03 then dac. controlling MPD via MPDroid.

The output volume of this configuration is much lower than prior setup which was bbb usb dac. I see default in mpd.conf is mixer "none".

I have searched the thread and saw a couple of mentions of lower volume but no answer. Is there a default volume setting somewhere? I like to have the digital system set to full volume and control listening with my linestage.

Any pointers appreciated.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Not giving up, but need to get a handle on all of the sources of 'auto' resampling. There seem to be many, including MPD itself.
I finally have a non-resampling 2-way crossover running in ALSA on the BBB and outputting via Teleporters to a pair of Buffalo DACs. This is 'first-blush' and I believe there is significant room for improvement. It will be a while before I can test critically on my 'good' analog equipment. Development thread also containing work on new LADSPA IIR filters: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-b...ng-linux-audio-crossovers-13.html#post4393394. I will explore different filters and alsa.conf plugs for a while, then write up a 'how-to' for the Botic kernel.
Cheers! :cheers:
Frank

Help!

Hi All,

Am hoping that someone here can help me with my continuing problems in installing Botic4 on BBB? Please bear in mind that I have tried this several times on 3 different BBBs and using several SD cards, including 4 and 8Gb sizes.
I am currently using a WD NAS for music storage and running that into myW4S DAC through a Pi and HiFi Berry Digi, using Volumio, so I know that all is well there and I have no problems.
Have managed to get Botic4 onto SD card and booted on to BBB every time, after following Miero's instructions can get ympd to see and update the database and after a while all my music files show up in my remote directory from the NAS. The problem arises when I go to play music, nothing happens and then I get "timeout" messages, after which the files in the database disappear and I can't get them back!
In addition, if I reboot any of the BBBs, I can see it in Advanced IP Scanner, but when I try to log back in through Putty, I get a message "Network error: Connection timed out". Have tried booting in all sorts of ways, boot button, reset button and combination of both to no avail. I always have to start from scratch with a new Botic SD image and then the same thing happens.
Help please to a Linux newbie!

Joined 2007
Paid Member
miero will return shortly.

Question for (anybody and) miero upon his return: Any explanation for this? -> In mpd.conf I find that the only MPD output devices (and syntax) that work are device=hw:0(,0,0) or device=plughw:0(,0,0). In both cases, the output ignores critical defaults specified in any of the alsa.conf files. This is true with MPD in both the Botic and the Volumio distributions. Within Botic, both SoX and aplay respect the ALSA configuration defaults. Any insight much appreciated!

Hi , I'm back... :)

Please use /etc/asound.conf or $HOME/.asoundrc where $HOME is directory for user running the process, e.g. /var/lib/mpd/.asoundrc

Here is quite working example of /etc/asound.conf that plays to Botic and some external USB audio card I've tried some time ago:
pcm.twocards {
type multi
slaves {
a {
pcm "hw:Botic,0"
channels 2
}
b {
pcm "hw:USB,0"
channels 2
}
}
bindings {
0 { slave a; channel 0; }
1 { slave a; channel 1; }
2 { slave b; channel 0; }
3 { slave b; channel 1; }
}
}
pcm.both {
type route
slave {
pcm "twocards"
channels 4
}
ttable {
0 { 0 1.0; 2 1.0 }
1 { 1 1.0; 3 1.0 }
}
}
This can be tested by using "both" audio device:
speaker-test -c 2 -Dboth

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi , I'm back... :)

Please use /etc/asound.conf or $HOME/.asoundrc where $HOME is directory for user running the process, e.g. /var/lib/mpd/.asoundrc
Thanks so much for the ideas! I had tried the first one previously and even re-built mpd after the asound.conf plugs were in place. Same behavior...
I just tried the second idea and in this case no applications use the filter plugs. As you probably gathered, the plugs contain ladspa filters for speaker crossovers, and I am learning first hand that ALSA is capricious!

For now I am putting MPD compatibility with the ALSA filters at the bottom of my list of objectives. There are other avenues to explore within the linux maze. Eventually, we will find that piece of cheese! ;)