• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The odd thing is last night I used HTTP,YMPD via Win7 and listened to about an hour of music!?
So far the combination of BBB/Hermes/Cronus/BII sounds better than Linux/Mint/foobar > Waveio(USB) . A veil has been lifted that I neverwould have know was there. :D

So, thanks again to Miero and Russ etal. :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Just a note on the problems I was having when trying to use the play command.
With Russ' help/suggestions the problem of

play WARN alsa: Input/output error
play FAIL sox: `default' Device or resource busy: Operation not permitted

turned out to be a Rhea clock module needing a touch up on its connections.
Also, reheated all connector pins just to be sure. A couple did look a little iffy.

Big thanks to Russ. :) Have been building their offerings since the first amp on a chip they sold. Still plays and sounds very good.

To flash to Botic v4/5, is it required to have eMMC
flashed with Botic v3 already, or can Botic v4/5 be
flashed to the eMMC that has plain vanilla Debian installed,
bypassing installing Botic v3 completely?

I did a clean install of Debian for BBB and added the latest botic bits as per how to. That worked great. I did however skip some of the instructions wrt adding Debian repos. Otherwise I could not install some of the additional bits I need.

Better stay with Debian 7.8 instead of Debian 8 for now

Joined 2004
Paid Member
This is completely nuts!!! I've been trying over and over and over .....
since Sunday to get back up to Bot v5 without any luck.
This last time when I updated the SD card from v4 to v5 and
powered off and on then flashed with /opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/generic-eMMC-flasher-12mb.sh, powered off removed SD card and powered on,
did a uname and it told me it was bot v3!!!???:(

I'm tapped out, going back to Linux/Mint and Waveio.
When the dust settles from this development stage I'll try again.

My apologies for being a pest here and many thanks to those
who cared enough to help. :)

Has anyone here attempted Botic on Arch with MPD or it is not possible?

miero's Botic kernel is based on Robert Nelson's stable kernel, i.e., debian-based, so I think porting of Botic driver to Arch is dependent on miero's decision, though it appears great if possible.

BTW, I think running Arch for Hermes-Cronus board will be no problem as long as you keep USB connection using Hermes-Amanero board. This weekend, I'm going to try if this combo with latest MPD will work.

Last edited:
Thanks twluke!
Arch seems very light and certainly be beneficial to embedded PC like BBB! :)
Apparently there will soon be a BeagleBone Green this June in Shenzen.

Btw, I am a happy user of Botic 3.2. Not sure if there are sq benefits in upgrading to Botic 4/5? Any feedbacks from those experienced are much appreciated!
Cheers.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I believe the uSD card readers on 2 of my 3 boards are faulty most of the time, because when they crash it is after the blue uSD access LED has been on for an extended period.

Researching the microSD card issue, I checked the solder pads under a binocular scope. I was surprised to find physical contact had been made between one uSD card reader pad and the stock TPA aluminum standoff that was usually in place on the BBB. That would ground the pad. At worst, two reader pins could even be bridged, though I'm sure that didn't occur. So be aware of the standoff type/placement on BBB! :guilty:

Frank

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-2 copy.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2 copy.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 350
  • FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 333
No, you did not miss it.

But it is available now:
- http://bbb.ieero.com/botic5/am335x-boneblack.dtb
- use it to replace original file in the /boot/dtbs/4.0.0-botic5/

Also there is script for configuring GPIO for LEDs and digital inputs:
- https://github.com/miero/botic-tools/blob/master/hermes-gpiocfg

And brief example script for setting/clearing LEDs and reading (current value) of digital inputs:
- https://github.com/miero/botic-tools/blob/master/hermes-gpio

Later I'll add application that will read inputs real-time and execute preconfigured scritps.

Thing not ready yet: Analog Input

No, you did not miss it.

But it is available now:
- http://bbb.ieero.com/botic5/am335x-boneblack.dtb
- use it to replace original file in the /boot/dtbs/4.0.0-botic5/
Thanks, I'll test it out.
Later I'll add application that will read inputs real-time and execute preconfigured scritps.
Right, I forgot there are provisions for adding buttons on the Hermes-BBB...I've added buttons to the P8 header...

Python with the Adafruit BBIO library is great for this. You can define callbacks (so no need to poll for button presses) and debounce for the buttons if needed.
I can post an example if there's interest.