• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

AVCC 2.1 - module update

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Russ

Dropped the new AVCC module into my Buffalo, let it run for a few hours (mainly because I was busy elsewhere) and had a good listen last night.

As with applying the CCS mod on the old B24 this is a very handsome upgrade. Really lifts the music. Great effort.

Thanks for keeping at it.

Mark

Received the AVCC2.1

Superb finish and workmanship. I can see the improved use of top and bottom layers in the layout. Looks very nice too.

Compared with my original AVCC that came with BII. It is a v1 version. Didn't realize that there has been a v2 and now the v2.1

Also notice that the n-channel transistors in the v1 are gone in the V2 design. Just out of curiosity, what improved from v1 to v2?

Last edited:
Everything. :) I won't give away all of the secret sauce, but I agree though our current choice for the opamp is much better than the previous one - live and learn.

Hi Russ,

I guess I am in for a big surprise :). The 2.1 looks so simple: an Opamp and two p-channels: one got to be the pass transistor and the other I would guess the ccs for the LED reference. I guess simplicity is its best friend...

Hi Russ!

May I assume you considered beneficial improvments in resolution and hf supression by adding filter cap on shunt outputs described in your support forum (Max Cap value on output of Trident Reg) and somewhere else?
Is there a way of upgrading old version of avcc?

Thanks and Regards.

Last edited:
Hi Russ!

1) May I assume you considered beneficial improvments in resolution and hf surpression by adding filter cap on shunt outputs described in your support forum (Max Cap value on output of Trident Reg) and somewhere else?

2) Is there a way of upgrading old version of avcc?

Thanks and Regards.

1) Yes - I considered that - but it actually did more harm than help once the whole circuit was tuned. Too much capacitance and the output impedance starts to rise too much - I would not add any to either the new Trident or AVCC 2.1 modules when used with the BII/BIII/BIISE.

2) No - not really. You can change the opamp and also add a 100pf or so from -IN to OUT on both halves of the opamp. That will get you somewhat close. Still there is more to it than that. :)

analog_sa,

I think I explained myself pretty well.

Your present tone will only result in deleted posts. If you want to have a constructive dialog then you will need to change your approach.

My "secret sauce" comment was not meant to be taken seriously. It was meant as humor.

The circuit is *not* the same between the two revisions. The layout most definitely is not either.

Parallel coupled Jfets. Bipolar have lower on and you just need 1 . Maybe the fets are measured to be equal but what happens when they get burned in ?

Anyway I have built something better I think.

N.B. I still think your Legato is very very good do not misunderstand me.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.