• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What size spacers are needed for mounting the various modules to one another? I cannot find any info about the spacing between the boards when stacked.

All mounting hardware is included in the kits, including stacking spacers (when appropriate).

FWIW: I supply .5" F-F spacers and screws for all modules. When stacking is an option, I also supply .625" M-F spacers.

Last edited:
For complete the buffalo dac IIISE with 2 s/pdif input . I will need the following modules ?:
-Buffalo-IIISE 2-Channel DAC $379 USD
-Legato v3.1 Kit for Buffalo-II $115.00 USD
-Placid HD Power Supply Kit $60.00 USD
-Placid HD Bipolar Power Supply Kit $90.00 USD
-15V+15V (30VA) Power Transformer $25.00 USD
-9V+9V (15VA) Power Transformer $23.00 USD

The S/PDIF transceiver module is required for buffalo III SE?.

that looks about tight. You do not need the S/PDIF transceiver module for the Buffalo. It accepts S/PDIF directly.

Hello.
It just ordered two of these for use in a 4-way dsp filter (spdif-out ).
If I'm using the digital volumecontrol can I still use just one pot
(in parallel) or is there need for a second one for some reason ?

You can wire the output of the volume pot to each of the DACs and control then both at the same time, as long as both board share a digital ground.

Sorry if this should be obvious, but pls can you confirm if the input accepts I2S and DSD data streams. Presumably it detects DSD and processes accordingly. This is how I understand the input spec, but could be wrong.

An external switch (Otto) is only for if you want to connect 2 x devices. DSD and I2S from the same device will be processed OK.

Thanks,

What connector/cabling is recommended from the S/PDIF UFL connector to the back panel BNC, RCA or XLR input connector? For short interconnect distances is there any reason to use balanced XLR for the S/PDIF or AES/UBU input vs. BNC or RCA?

I use regular wire if the distance is short (twisted if you can).

If you are using AES/EBU, you should use an XLR for the balanced signal.

Sorry if this should be obvious, but pls can you confirm if the input accepts I2S and DSD data streams. Presumably it detects DSD and processes accordingly. This is how I understand the input spec, but could be wrong.

An external switch (Otto) is only for if you want to connect 2 x devices. DSD and I2S from the same device will be processed OK.

Thanks,

Yes, either DSD or I2S can be connected directly. If you want both, or two of either, use an OTTO to switch them.

Yes...

Yes, exactly. I have the Amanero and JRiver. (and the Buff III on order)

This can work with the B-II, and the B-III when it is set up to mimic the B-II in the input mapping. I would assume that the B-IIISE is set up like the B-II for the inputs, in which case it will work on the same pins with I2S or DSD data. For correct mapping your source needs to be this way:

bit clock=bit clock DSD
word clock=data left DSD
data=data right DSD
masterclock=masterclock (if used)
ground=ground

The only other concern is whether you wish to chnage the IIR filter setting for DSD vs PCM plaback, but it is not necessary.

I have tested this using a B-III set up the B-II way, and it works fine with multiplexed DSD/I2S signals on the same input pins as above. The good thing with this approach is that it avoids any switches in the data path, my experience is that even the best switches can degrade the data stream somewhat and affect sonics.

Would be cool to show the layout with all the connectors. I'm thinking about the integration in the box and I don't know which switches/leds I'll put on my front panel. Is the layout really similar to the Buffalo3 version ? PDF doc wanted :)
Also, I'd like to know if one input is master and the other one is slave (between TTL and I2S)? Perhaps I won't need a input selection switch...

Last edited:
This can work with the B-II, and the B-III when it is set up to mimic the B-II in the input mapping. I would assume that the B-IIISE is set up like the B-II for the inputs, in which case it will work on the same pins with I2S or DSD data. For correct mapping your source needs to be this way:

bit clock=bit clock DSD
word clock=data left DSD
data=data right DSD
masterclock=masterclock (if used)
ground=ground

The only other concern is whether you wish to chnage the IIR filter setting for DSD vs PCM plaback, but it is not necessary.

I have tested this using a B-III set up the B-II way, and it works fine with multiplexed DSD/I2S signals on the same input pins as above. The good thing with this approach is that it avoids any switches in the data path, my experience is that even the best switches can degrade the data stream somewhat and affect sonics.

Yeap, it works perfectly with the Amanero board. Other boards like the EXA use the same signal arrangement so will work too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.