• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III - SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just started assembling boards for my Buffalo-IIISE and have a couple of questions related to the IVY-III board whose manual hasn't been updated recently.

1. For the Buffalo-IIISE, should the IVY-III resistors R32-R35 be omitted?
  2. On the IVY-III board, what are the functions of SW1.1, SW1.2, and SW1.3? According to the schematic, SW1.1 enables a 1K resistor between +15V3 and -15V3. I suspect it should be left open. SW1.2 and SW1.3 short the outputs of the differential to single-ended amplifiers. When would you want to do that?

My mistake about SW1. Not dip-switches but a relay to mute the single-ended output until to voltages are established.

I just started assembling boards for my Buffalo-IIISE and have a couple of questions related to the IVY-III board whose manual hasn't been updated recently.

2. On the IVY-III board, what are the functions of SW1.1, SW1.2, and SW1.3? According to the schematic, SW1.1 enables a 1K resistor between +15V3 and -15V3. I suspect it should be left open. SW1.2 and SW1.3 short the outputs of the differential to single-ended amplifiers. When would you want to do that?

Can anyone comment on whether a chassis for the Buffalo-IIISE with IVY-III and power supplies needs vent slots or holes for heat removal?

It's a good idea. Since the Trident regulators are shunts, they generate heat by their nature. If you are using shunt pre-regulators, such as Placids, you will get a lot of heat from them as well.

There is no harm in installing them, but they are really only needed if you are using the V_IN terminals, such as with the Opus DAC.

1. On the IVY-III board, what are the functions of SW1.1, SW1.2, and SW1.3? According to the schematic, SW1.1 enables a 1K resistor between +15V3 and -15V3. I suspect it should be left open. SW1.2 and SW1.3 short the outputs of the differential to single-ended amplifiers. When would you want to do that?

The relay is there to prevent thumps on the outputs. The 1K resistor starves current from the coil of the relay to cause it to close before the rail voltages collapse to the rest of the circuit.

Question Russ/Brian; the U.FL connector for the master clock - I'm thinking about using Ian's FIFO for the I2S stream, with it driving the ESS synchronously. When playing DSD (these two will be switched via Otto), will Buffalo III-SE use it's clock as Master? Put another way - will Buffalo use the clock signal if provided, else fall back to its own clock?

Can one eat those white things? :p

Attachments

• Buffalo.JPG
    Buffalo.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 457
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.