Buffalo III - SE - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2012, 10:00 PM   #11
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Great, then i'll probably put in an order quite soon.. by the way Russ, i PM:d you a few days ago and haven't received any answer (question about ordering) could you please check it and give me an answer?
Also, how long time do you expect before you have them in stock, a few weeks?
  Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 10:01 PM   #12
diyAudio Member
 
Russ White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Sure - no worries.
__________________
Less pulp more juice Twisted Pear Audio.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 06:30 AM   #13
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
This sounds like a great development. I like the ease of adding the master clock connection, it would be good if somehow you could still power the clock though but have it switched out. Now you have on board switching between i2s and spdif, I can see some of wanting to have the audiophile i2s synchronously clocked serious listening mode and then easy switching to spdif and async for listening to inferior sources such as dvd player etc. Will that be possible? I'll order one straight away if it is:-). I can see an option like this really taking the buffalo sales into the stratosphere!

Stefan
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 08:21 AM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Hi Russ
I believe it can be used in dual mono together with the non SE version, taking the advantages of the new features?
Regards
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 06:09 PM   #15
datesx is offline datesx  Hungary
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hungary
Default "raw" kit

While I understand that this circuit might be too complex for many forumers I would welcome a "raw" kit -PCB and parts without assembly- as this would be the real DIY.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 08:51 PM   #16
diyAudio Member
 
Russ White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by datesx View Post
While I understand that this circuit might be too complex for many forumers I would welcome a "raw" kit -PCB and parts without assembly- as this would be the real DIY.
There are a lot of reasons this would not be practical. For one, It would cost more in terms of time/effort and money to produce such a kit then we really have.

Plus I am not sure most people would agree that it is any more "real" DIY - or if that even really matters more than having a working module. It would however be a whole lot more work for the builder with a lot higher risk of ruining expensive parts.

No we are not planning on going that route.

Cheers!
Russ
__________________
Less pulp more juice Twisted Pear Audio.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 08:53 PM   #17
diyAudio Member
 
Russ White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisbock View Post
Hi Russ
I believe it can be used in dual mono together with the non SE version, taking the advantages of the new features?
Regards
If your asking if it can be used dual mono, yes it can.
__________________
Less pulp more juice Twisted Pear Audio.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 09:01 PM   #18
diyAudio Member
 
Russ White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeart View Post
This sounds like a great development. I like the ease of adding the master clock connection, it would be good if somehow you could still power the clock though but have it switched out. Now you have on board switching between i2s and spdif, I can see some of wanting to have the audiophile i2s synchronously clocked serious listening mode and then easy switching to spdif and async for listening to inferior sources such as dvd player etc. Will that be possible? I'll order one straight away if it is:-). I can see an option like this really taking the buffalo sales into the stratosphere!

Stefan
I think the idea that synchronous clocking is somehow more "audiophile" is misguided at best.

While I certainly think providing a synchronous clock can sound really good - it can also sound worse (especially if you end up with longish clock routes). I would never say I think it sounds "better". Other's opinions not withstanding.

Live clock switching while certainly possible sounds fraught with unforseen issues. I would be hesitant to recommend it. Still if you wanted you could use and externally generated clock (synchronous or not) which could be switched using some kind of multiplexer. But you would also want to probably mute etc... Not a trivial thing.
__________________
Less pulp more juice Twisted Pear Audio.

Last edited by Russ White; 30th September 2012 at 09:03 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 08:47 AM   #19
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
So not something that will be in this board then!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 06:07 AM   #20
roender is offline roender  Romania
diyAudio Member
 
roender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
I think the idea that synchronous clocking is somehow more "audiophile" is misguided at best.

While I certainly think providing a synchronous clock can sound really good - it can also sound worse (especially if you end up with longish clock routes). I would never say I think it sounds "better". Other's opinions not withstanding.

Live clock switching while certainly possible sounds fraught with unforseen issues. I would be hesitant to recommend it. Still if you wanted you could use and externally generated clock (synchronous or not) which could be switched using some kind of multiplexer. But you would also want to probably mute etc... Not a trivial thing.
In sync mode it will sound very good and much better than in async mode if the clock used is placed close to the DAC and capable to drive the transport.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise. Russ White Twisted Pear 1336 19th June 2014 02:31 PM
Buffalo III Build Thread dheming Twisted Pear 11 26th February 2014 02:30 AM
Buffalo III and Integer / HOG jtwrace Twisted Pear 5 19th January 2012 05:41 PM
WTB: Buffalo II/III DAC merlin2069er Swap Meet 1 10th January 2012 05:50 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:21 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2