Buffalo III - flexibility without compromise. - Page 51 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 31st August 2011, 04:54 PM   #501
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Russ, good to hear. I did remember reading somewhere that higher than 80Mhz would not give to better results. Glad you repeated it here. At this point in time, the 100MHz "sidegrade" is not even practical. There is hardly anything at that high sample rate.
My "pristine" BII-80Mhz will become a collector's item :-)
Old 31st August 2011, 08:22 PM   #502
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glt View Post
Hi Russ, good to hear. I did remember reading somewhere that higher than 80Mhz would not give to better results. Glad you repeated it here. At this point in time, the 100MHz "sidegrade" is not even practical. There is hardly anything at that high sample rate.
My "pristine" BII-80Mhz will become a collector's item :-)
If you will have the opportunity to hear your self the same music files/SACDs/CDs using different clock frequencies (in this case 80, 100, 125 Mhz), for the same samplings frequencies, in the same system based on the same ESS9018, then will be more reserved to come with these affirmations....
This case is not only about to read somewhere about something... It is to have the own experience about...
Old 31st August 2011, 08:42 PM   #503
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
This case is not only about to read somewhere about something... It is to have the own experience about...
As far as I understood from your previous post(s), you don't even have a Buffalo yet, so your comments on "experience" is objectively quite out of place.....
Old 31st August 2011, 09:33 PM   #504
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicMac View Post
As far as I understood from your previous post(s), you don't even have a Buffalo yet, so your comments on "experience" is objectively quite out of place.....
You know? In the last time is not only Buffalo the only DAC which is based on ESS9018...
I still have that trust (based on all the information I can have at this time) that Buffalo is one of the best DAC designed. That because I bought it. But this do not mean exactly/necessarily that Buffalo could (at the present) take it out the most of this exceptional ESS9018 chip...
So... Yes, it is fully possible that one can to day objectively experience something about ESS9018 even not using/hearing yet the Buffalo DAC...
If one can even perceptual register a positive result in modifying/using accordingly a not so well designed DAC system, then in a better designed system the result of the same modifications can easily be even more positive...
Old 31st August 2011, 09:56 PM   #505
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
If you will have the opportunity to hear your self the same music files/SACDs/CDs using different clock frequencies (in this case 80, 100, 125 Mhz), for the same samplings frequencies, in the same system based on the same ESS9018, then will be more reserved to come with these affirmations....
I do not doubt your experience. Unfortunately my hearing is not so discerning. Some of us need an excuse NOT to upgrade :-)
Old 1st September 2011, 02:54 AM   #506
Takaji is offline Takaji  Canada
diyAudio Member

Russ or Brian, question about the Placid HD: I'm using one to power the BIII (which I am told draws 350mA) but I am also planning to use it to power the S/PDIF Input Module (~30mA), the exaU2I (~20mA), a HiFiDuino control (~150mA?), and lastly, a 2/8 switch that I am making (~340mA when switching).

In total, the Placid HD will need to be able to output ~890mA... is it possible? Any suggestions on how to power everything? I am assuming that a 1.6VA transformer is adequate?

Last edited by Takaji; 1st September 2011 at 03:08 AM.
Old 1st September 2011, 11:51 AM   #507
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Takij, you need to post things like this on our support forum please. But to quickly answer your question. You will want large heatsinks for that. And you will need to double check if you can adjust to that current (I have not tried yet). If you can't I can explain to you how to get there. I would use a 9V 30-50VA transformer.
Old 1st September 2011, 12:02 PM   #508
diyAudio Member

Good news folks.

I am testing AC2 with firmware designed for Buffalo III with the parts we will be stocking for the kit.

In my testing I found one small layout change I will make (already done) and as soon as those revised boards get here we should be able to offer it to you folks.

Highlights:

- Standard 4-bit parallel interface for displays
- 3 SPI inputs/outputs for displays or other hardware
- Super fast infinite write cycle FRAM for saving state, which is far faster and easier to use as well as more reliable than flash.
- Rotary encoder support with push button. Supports both optical and mechanical types.
- IR(RC5) remote support.
- 3.3V Level shifting for I2C for application that might require it.
- On board power supply with rectifier so you can supply either AC or DC voltage.
- Easy programming with the Femto USB programmable controller module.

The Femto controller module is removable from the AC2 for simple programming via USB.

I will create a GitHub account for AC2 code. People can use that code as-is or contribute code enhancements. There will also be a wiki for documentation.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited by Russ White; 1st September 2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 1st September 2011, 12:07 PM   #509
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
I am testing AC2..
What is this?
Could you please answer my email or pm Russ?
Old 1st September 2011, 12:23 PM   #510
diyAudio Member

AC2 is the second iteration of a full featured purpose designed controller platform for Audio applications. It is an open platform with the intent to spur open development.

Firmware code exists that can be extended or used as an example for other work.

I answered your question.

Hide this!Advertise here!