Buffallo Dual Mono 1 Legato - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 21st October 2010, 11:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Buffallo Dual Mono 1 Legato

Hi

I haven't seen this configuration beffore so I decidet to post this one
Reading Russ posts in Legato vs Ivy thread, he mention that this kind of configuration can be done.... so ...Yes He was right....

Dual Mono Buffalo with single Legato ....

And of cause all 16 DAC are working in 1 chanell ....

I do not have 2 Legato to make any comparisions but this is definetely better than Stereo Buffalo-Legato setup....

So this is the best Buffalo I have heard..now...

Just to make things clear, output from Legato goes to Lundahl Trafos..so no OPAMP mounted.

And there is HiFace with TentLabs Clock .... and I2S taped to Buffalo.

I hope some folks will find this setup interesting ....

Rosendorfer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2buffalo1Legato_00.jpg (240.6 KB, 1438 views)
File Type: jpg 2Buffalo1Legato_01.jpg (173.8 KB, 1344 views)
Old 9th November 2010, 04:59 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I was also thinking about going this way. As I understood you use the transformers for balanced to unbalanced conversion ?

How many power supply are you using ?

Cannot wait to have my DACs !!!

Best Regards,

Davide
Old 11th November 2010, 09:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi

As for transformer Yes I use it for balanced to SE conversion.
Well I'm not saying that this is the best solution but not having any Opamp was very tempting .specilaly after using IVY for some time.....
As for power at the moment I do have one PS for Legato, but I'm working on that..

Best Regards
Rosendorfer
Old 11th November 2010, 09:44 PM   #4
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

So you have used two BII boards and one Lagato for a single mono channel?
Old 11th November 2010, 10:04 PM   #5
jgazal is offline jgazal  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Legato power supply: jumpers are soldered there, so only one power supply for both channels, right?

How have you connected both current output legs of each buffalo pcb to one of the legato inputs legs?

Is it just a jumper wire from one buffalo output to the other buffalo output?

Some guys from Japan have made an alternative choice, which is connecting just one current output from buffalo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
(...)
In a main box, he put his SDTrans192, two Buffalo II DAC boards and a Japanese I/V stage.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I heard that he was now much enjoying sounds obtained by this system.
I think they were only considering crosstalk, but it does not use half of the ES9018 circuit (I am still wondering if it would not be better to ground such side of the ES9018 with this particular arrangement). ES9018 topology was already made to avoid crosstalk between channels...

With your approach it is possible to sum up all the current outputs.

Would not be better to use two jumper wires with the same length reaching the legato input?
Old 11th November 2010, 11:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi
This is dual mono configuration .... each DAC work for one chanell, but instead using 2 x IVY or 2 x Legato, I'm using 1 Legato and this requires of cause summing up each DAC Right and Left currents/outputs into one Legato Chanell.
Using TP duall mono Volumite firmware L and R DAC chanels are oposite phases so all You need to do is just connect Buffalo L and R outputs but in oposite phases ie : L"+" with R"-" and L"-" with R "+". And this goes into one Legato chanell.

This is the way to get 3dB extra DNR from gooing duall mono...and reach 135dB DNR ..or something close to that ....

And for better chanell separation of cause separate Power Suplly for L and R Legato chanells would be welcome..

Best Regards
Rosendorfer
Old 12th November 2010, 12:31 AM   #7
jrenkin is offline jrenkin  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosendorfer View Post
Hi
This is dual mono configuration .... each DAC work for one chanell, but instead using 2 x IVY or 2 x Legato, I'm using 1 Legato and this requires of cause summing up each DAC Right and Left currents/outputs into one Legato Chanell.
Using TP duall mono Volumite firmware L and R DAC chanels are oposite phases so all You need to do is just connect Buffalo L and R outputs but in oposite phases ie : L"+" with R"-" and L"-" with R "+". And this goes into one Legato chanell.

This is the way to get 3dB extra DNR from gooing duall mono...and reach 135dB DNR ..or something close to that ....

And for better chanell separation of cause separate Power Suplly for L and R Legato chanells would be welcome..

Best Regards
Rosendorfer
I am planning on doing this eventually, too. But i am still a little confused. In your earlier post you stated that all 16 DAC went to one channel, but each Buffalo II has 8 DAC so that would imply that both Buffalo II boards went to one channel and therefore you are really doing a "quad" or "dual, dual" mono for lack of a better term. Requiring 4 Buffalos IIs and 2 Legato to have two channel output. Or have I missed something.
Old 12th November 2010, 07:52 AM   #8
jgazal is offline jgazal  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The Sabre DAC has a total of eight such DAC channels, but
each DAC is actually a balanced pair of the DACs as
described, so there are in effect 16 such DACs
. Considerable
flexibility in bit width and channel assignment of the DACs is
provided, but the default configuration is optimum and unless
some special need is found we recommend use of the default
configuration.
Technical Details of the Sabre Audio DAC - Martin Mallinson and Dustin Forman, ESS Technology Technical Staff
A must read white paper.
Old 12th November 2010, 09:07 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgazal View Post
Some guys from Japan have made an alternative choice, which is connecting just one current output from buffalo:

I think they were only considering crosstalk, but it does not use half of the ES9018 circuit
Shurely he said it does not use all of current outputs at that pic. It was
temporal setting at that time he had not completed I/V boards yet.

The picture After completed:

SDJ[hvC[󍆋@îSj: Ama Ama Audio Visual

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/abcde/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th November 2010, 01:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosendorfer View Post
Hi

I haven't seen this configuration beffore so I decidet to post this one
Reading Russ posts in Legato vs Ivy thread, he mention that this kind of configuration can be done.... so ...Yes He was right....

Dual Mono Buffalo with single Legato ....

And of cause all 16 DAC are working in 1 chanell ....

I do not have 2 Legato to make any comparisions but this is definetely better than Stereo Buffalo-Legato setup....

So this is the best Buffalo I have heard..now...

Just to make things clear, output from Legato goes to Lundahl Trafos..so no OPAMP mounted.

And there is HiFace with TentLabs Clock .... and I2S taped to Buffalo.

I hope some folks will find this setup interesting ....

Rosendorfer
Dzien dobry my polish colleague,

Is it possible for you to show a drawing similar to what Twisted Pear has done on their website regarding how the wiring is done for a Dual Mono Buffalo -> Single stereo Legato? Are you paralleling the outputs from the two Buffalo's to the single Legato? And I'm very confused about what you are doing with the negative and positive phases...

Dziekuje bardzo,

Anand.

Hide this!Advertise here!