• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TPA - USB Transport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ross,

Did you look at possibility of using USB digital isolator chip as AMD ADuM4160 for upcoming new USB module?

George

Yes, but unfortunately that chip is simply not able to handle the bandwidth we require. We would need a device that could support USB 2.0 High speed, not just full speed.

Besides that we believe we have a much better isolation solution.

We have boards ordered and will be doing some testing very soon.

DSD over USB support?

Talking about futures. With the release of the SACD ripper for the Sony Playstation native playback of DSD files is on the rise.

Mytek is now shipping their new DAC that supports DSD playback over the USB input.

I am wondering whether the new USB transport could support this as well. Ideally there would be some pin to indicate PCM or DSD in order to get an indication to reprogram the Buffalo.

In any case Jriver just announced support for DSD over ASIO in Media Center 17.

Cheers

Thomas

Last edited:
There are...

some options: considering how long Russ has been working on TPA's new USB interface, I do not expect him to be able to support direct DSD playback right away, as I do not think XMOS supports this. I would rather see him release the product, than wait another year for DSD.

The dCS DSD protocol (open source) might be easiest to implement, and might be able to work with XMOS, as it seems to "look" like standard 24/176.4 PCM to interfaces.

In the meantime, my recommendation for those who are ripping DSD would be to save your native DSD files for the future, and to convert/copy them to 24/176.4, and tag and them in the PCM format and then play them back as PCM. Alternatively, music player software is now supporting on the fly conversionof DSD to PCM for playback (Foobar, Pure Music, and others).
Although converting the files first would sound better. Although many seem to think otherwise, conversion to 24/176.4 should be transparent with a really good SRC.
Ultimately there will be native DSD playback, but it is in its infancy now...

Status
Not open for further replies.