• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"SPDIF digital output – The optical audio output sends digital signals to your AV receiver for the best surroundsound experience."
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705043.pdf

Be warned that Optical OUT does not do 24/96. It is only good for 48KHZ
However, if you put decent quality CD or HD rips onto a USB pen and use that , it can sound very good indeed into a good DAC when you supply it 12VDC from a good linear PSU.It happily plays mixed audio files of different resolutions, and sounds surprisingly good despite the downsampling if you use the linear supply.

Hey Russ & Brian

Just checking in as to the shipping schedule. I notice that the orders that were supposed to ship the week of the 18th have not been listed as shipped yet. Is there some sort of delay?

Cheers

All the 18th orders have shipped. Check the email account you use for PayPal... there is a ship notification in there somewhere.

Last edited:
The only other thing I can think of is if you could connect the hard drive directly to the sabre and used a logitech programmable remote to control it. I have no idea if this is feasible or how hard it would be to implement it. Obviously you would need an ir receiver for the remote, the other problem is whether the sabre can decode flac, wav etc, I am guessing it can't so maybe I would need to add a sharc dsp. At this point you have to question whether this would be the best use of my time and whether I would be best off just handing over the cash for a squeezebox touch to connect to the buffalo.

If people have any other ideas I would be interested to hear.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I am working on it right now. :)

I am implementing an XMOS based solution. Stay tuned.

I am guessing first prototypes are 6-8 weeks off. Just depends on other time demands.

Cheers!
Russ

Hey Russ,

How is this interface project coming? I trust you will add filters for use in multi-amping speakers, since the filters in the ESS Sabre didn't work out for that purpose? If so, allow me to lobby for channel time delay adjustments and volume trimmers. ;) ...wish I could help but I never needed to learn C...

Does that mean one isn't required for stereo?

Just one more question.
With a dual mono setup are all 16 dac's used (ie 8 per channel) or only 2?

If you can set the optical output to output Stereo (vs multi-channel "Digital Surround"), then it will work.

If you use dual-mono mode, all of the DACs in the ES9018 are used for a single channel.

Xmos-usb

Hi Bunpei,

I am using the XMOS USB 2.0 audio module with custom firmware and some slight hardware mods right now, and designing my own solution in the mean time. I also have their driver along with some work of my own.

Drivers will be somewhat a challenge, at least in regard to Windows. I am working that out as well. For now I am having to rely and what I can either write myself or get from XMOS.

The important thing is that the hardware hurdle is solved. The driver hurdle is completely solvable as well. :)

More details as I can give them. Things are progressing.

Cheers!
Russ

Hi Russ,

I am very excited about the prospects for this USB interface. I was considering getting a HiFace Evo, so I could supply my forthcoming BII with very low jitter I2S, but a solution from TP would be even better.
I am assuing that you will employ asynchronous transfer, and two fixed oscillators for I2S output. I know, I know, the BII re-clocks, etc.-but I have found that even the best ASRC sound better when supplied an extremely low jitter data stream.
This would be great for the Opus as well, fixed frequency masterclock from the USB interface for a simple, super low jitter, USB dedicated DAC.
Thanks a lot Russ/Brian for your work!

dual mono questions

I am greatly enjoying dual mono mode and came across this solution to feed the two DACs
"If your using SPDIF the solution is similarly quite simple. Use one Buffalo II with normal SPIDF input. On the other leave the SPDIF switch open. Now connect D1 and GND between the DACs. This will make a single comparator drive D1 with TTL level SPDIF on both DACs. Something it can do quite easily. This works very well and is how I did some of my testing."

Is this preferred over simply jumping the SPDIF with a short 75 ohm coaxial cable and removing the 75 terminating resister from the first DAC's SPDIF input for any reason other than easy reversibility?

A second question, since I want unbalanced outputs but would like to keep the power separate for each channel I am using two ballsies. As each is a dual converter, is there any reason not to feed both sides from the IVY III built in balsie? This would allow two buffered unbalanced outputs per channel. Lastly what are your thoughts about combining the two outputs if I don't need a second output?

Thanks for creating such a great sounding DAC.

Stephen

Hi thanh1973,
The QA-550 might be something to look at.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/150199-qa-550-sd-card-16-44-1-wav-transport.html
It is even possible to access the I2S interface which is better than digital out.

One of SDTrans192 users in Japan, sunacchi, first upgraded the SD player, QLS QA-550, in his DIY manner.
Ama Ama Audio Visual: SDƒJ�[ƒhƒvƒŒ�[ƒ„�[�i‚»‚Ì‚P�j (In Japanese)
SDCardPlyer3-thumbnail2.jpg

(His DAC boards employ PCM1794.)
Ama Ama Audio Visual: SDƒJ�[ƒhƒvƒŒ�[ƒ„�[�i‚»‚Ì‚Q�j (In Japanese)
SDCardPlyer2-thumbnail2.jpg

Then he built a system with SDTrans192 and Dual mono mode Buffalo II with Japanese I/V Stage.
Ama Ama Audio Visual: SDƒJ�[ƒhƒvƒŒƒCƒ„�[“ó�†‹@ (In Japanese)
sdcard2-1-thumbnail2.jpg

sdcard2-6-thumbnail2.jpg

In his case, two Buffalo II accept both I2S and S/PDIF outputs of SDTrans and other transorts. His simple comment is "I2S is better than S/PIDIF".

Maybe I just don't get it. Why bother with expensive, removable flash storage? Once music is digital the 'transport' becomes largely irrelevant. All that matters is the DAC and a clean/accurate method of delivering bits to it.

A netbook accomplishes all of this. Hasn't this been the lesson learned by the audiophile world embracing quality USB DACs? Replace your exotic $10K CD spinner with a $1K Macbook. Game over.

Maybe I just don't get it. Why bother with expensive, removable flash storage? Once music is digital the 'transport' becomes largely irrelevant. All that matters is the DAC and a clean/accurate method of delivering bits to it.

A netbook accomplishes all of this. Hasn't this been the lesson learned by the audiophile world embracing quality USB DACs? Replace your exotic $10K CD spinner with a $1K Macbook. Game over.

You poor sap. Wait until you get the esoteric arguments. "Evidence-based" is not part of the audiophile's lexicon. :D

You poor sap. Wait until you get the esoteric arguments. "Evidence-based" is not part of the audiophile's lexicon. :D

Yes. Apologies for my rhetorical question.

My intent is better expressed as such: with all due respect, I suggest we keep this thread focused on the Buffalo-II DAC. For purposes of discussion here we care not from whence the bits originate.

SPDIF vs. I2S or DSD? Fair game, as those are options on the Buffalo itself. But other threads should address the merits of SD cards over hard drives, or the tonal differences between bubble memory and a player piano roll. ;)

Some people don't want to use a computer.
I don't think the flash memory is what makes this product special or unique. It is the fact that it is cheap (ie $115), you can leave it on all the time (ie uses much less power than a computer), and you don't have to wait for a operating system to boot up everytime you want to listen to music.

If I can't get this part right I won't be purchasing a buffalo.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.