• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Wow! That looks like a serious universal PSU. I thought that Buffalo II was "DIY only" and not OEM so I'm wondering why Feastrex would bother making "their own" PSU for this DAC :confused:
Being a dual-mono configuration, and excluding Volumite (at the moment...) what do you use for signal attenuation?
Nic

Wow! That looks like a serious universal PSU. I thought that Buffalo II was "DIY only" and not OEM so I'm wondering why Feastrex would bother making "their own" PSU for this DAC :confused:
Being a dual-mono configuration, and excluding Volumite (at the moment...) what do you use for signal attenuation?
Nic

Feastrex are using the DAC to showcase their speakers. They are DIYing their DAC. :)

Yes. I think Russ's understanding is correct. They will use the DAC and player assembled in a DIY manner for a demonstration of their fullrange drivers.
They have built their amplifiers already with old Telefunken RV-25 tubes for the purpose.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They are very satisfied with the Buffalo II DAC of Dual Mono configuration.

As for a volumite, they have no attenator in the DAC part.
They just use Neumann active fader.

I'm pretty satisfied with the BuffII too, though 'only' in stereo ;)

Still is 'dust collector' mode... might post some photos later.

Running PH shunt regs all round.
It sounds fantastic :D

My initial thought was "So this is what music is supposed to sound like."
I could wax lyrical, but everyone who has one knows they're awesome.... Everyone else, you're missing out ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey All, got my dual-mono buffalo/ivy up and running, but the volumite doesn't want to work. Turning it has no effect at all :(

I'm measuring 3.3V at the volumite (powered by the L buffalo), and GND/SDA/SCL the cables match up. So I'm at a loss.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMDMtMjAxMDA0MTgtMDA0O.jpg

Using it strictly for headphones for now. Thanks twisted pear!

-Ken

Hey All, got my dual-mono buffalo/ivy up and running, but the volumite doesn't want to work. Turning it has no effect at all :(

I'm measuring 3.3V at the volumite (powered by the L buffalo), and GND/SDA/SCL the cables match up. So I'm at a loss.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMDMtMjAxMDA0MTgtMDA0O.jpg

Using it strictly for headphones for now. Thanks twisted pear!

-Ken

When using the volumite you need to remove the on-board controller. :)

Also be sure you have the firmware version that supports dual mono operation.

If you have the correct firmware then to bring it into dual mono mode you need to connect PB1 to GND.

Also if your going to use the on-board reg for the volimute, then power it directly from the placid (5.5V). Otherwise remove the regulator as per the volumite manual.

Last edited:
Hi Russ,

The controllers are the chips right next to the i2c headers right? I don't think the buffalo II manual mentions this :)

I just need to jumper the two outer pins of the regulator if I wish to use the DVCC from the buffalo itself correct?

Do both GND and PB1 need to be connect to GND for dual-mono or just one or the other? I just followed the schematic you have for connecting dual mono buffalo/ivys and it didn't show any connections for pb1 so i didn't connect them.

Looks like I'm going to have to order another placid as one isn't enough to supply adequate juice to two buffalos with the AVCC module. The LEDs flicker and the sound clicks/cuts out ever so often if both are powered.

-Ken

When using the volumite you need to remove the on-board controller. :)

Also be sure you have the firmware version that supports dual mono operation.

If you have the correct firmware then to bring it into dual mono mode you need to connect PB1 to GND.

Also if your going to use the on-board reg for the volimute, then power it directly from the placid (5.5V). Otherwise remove the regulator as per the volumite manual.

Hi Russ,

The controllers are the chips right next to the i2c headers right? I don't think the buffalo II manual mentions this :)

I just need to jumper the two outer pins of the regulator if I wish to use the DVCC from the buffalo itself correct?

Do both GND and PB1 need to be connect to GND for dual-mono or just one or the other? I just followed the schematic you have for connecting dual mono buffalo/ivys and it didn't show any connections for pb1 so i didn't connect them.

Looks like I'm going to have to order another placid as one isn't enough to supply adequate juice to two buffalos with the AVCC module. The LEDs flicker and the sound clicks/cuts out ever so often if both are powered.

-Ken

You can use one placid, Just set it for about 700ma output. If you need help getting it to 700ma let me know. :)

There is only one removable IC on the Buffalo II, and the manual says to remove it when using an external controller like the volumite. But I will clarify this. :)

There is a mark on the volumite that shows where to install the jumper if you are using the Buafflo II 3.3V.

GND always is connected to GND. PB1 is a flag, if its open its stereo, if its low(gnd) its mono.

Cheers!
Russ

You can use one placid, Just set it for about 700ma output. If you need help getting it to 700ma let me know. :)

There is only one removable IC on the Buffalo II, and the manual says to remove it when using an external controller like the volumite. But I will clarify this. :)

There is a mark on the volumite that shows where to install the jumper if you are using the Buafflo II 3.3V.

GND always is connected to GND. PB1 is a flag, if its open its stereo, if its low(gnd) its mono.

Cheers!
Russ

There is published manual for Buffalo II.

Yep, it was definitely in the manual :) Got the Volumite up and running, but I think something's up with my Placid. .

It won't even power on one buffalo unless I get R1 to about .800ma. If it's set to 350ma, I get voltage droop to about 2.5 V when loaded (with buffalo) and the buffalo doesn't even power up. Voltage shows up at 5.5 no load.

If I get R1 to about 1.1 V, I can get both buffalos powered, but voltage drops to about 4.2 V on each, and the D1 light doesn't even come on. After a while, sound starts cutting out as well.

Any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks,

-ken

Cheers!
Russ

Doh looks like I'm still having volumite issues!

When the volumite is hooked up and the on-board controllers removed, the sound is very anemic and ecohy and the channel separation seems all messed up...but the volume control works.

Take it out and everything sounds fantastic, but no volume control obviously :)

I just jumper the two outer pins correct? Not all 3 pins? Should the dip switches be set any differently when using the volumite?

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMDUtMjAxMDA0MTgtMTc0N.jpg

I just replicated this connection on the other buffalo module, minus the DVCC. Everything connects to the same volumite.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMDctMjAxMDA0MTgtMTc0O.jpg

That very much sounds like you are using the the stereo only version of the volumite firmware in a dual mono configuration. We will need to send you the newer firmware if you wish to run dual mono.

For now until you get the updated firmware try running a single DAC/IVY-III in stereo.

The on-board controller is still there in your picture, make sure it is not there in practice.

Last edited:
Hi Russ,

Thanks much for making the DAC available. I has been up and running for a month now and I enjoy every bit of it.

I also hacked together an Arduino based remote volume control for it. Not having the ES9018 datasheet, I mostly rely on ES9008 datasheet and my not so trusty HP 16500a to make sense of the initial settings (I am still a bit confused by some periodic register right that I saw – could be an error on my own I2C decoding.) I would have waited for AC2 if I knew how nice is and how much progress you have made before I ordered the part. This is no comparison to AC2 and I may get an AC2 to replace this when it comes out, but this is still a fun little project nevertheless.

Thanks,

Stanley

Attachments

• IMG_7499s.jpg
    IMG_7499s.jpg
    787.1 KB · Views: 548
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.