• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
npapp said:
so the CT transformer leakage inductance is 0.5uH...is this a usable range?

The Newava transformer that Russ and Brian use has a leakage inductance of 0.3uH.

Then as far as I know - which is not much - best to go for 0.3uH

I managed to buy nuwava transformers in USA in small quantity no problem - sorry cannot recall where just now.

Hi!

I've measured current from audio outputs of Buffalo and it is "only" 6mA (it should be 8mA). Is there something wrong - configuration, how pins are connected? I do not have datasheet (although NDA signed was sent, but they did not reply) to check this out.

Cheers,
Matej

Russ White said:
PCBs (and likely kits too) are available for anyone who has balanced gear and wants to give it ago.

I would not use it directly out single ended because you will get a turn-on and turn-off thump.

I would like to try this. I'm using the buffalo with great pleasure. My wife questioned me thoroughly what I had changed that made piano sound so much more real... :D

Currently I'm listening to a the following setup (see pic):
CD-Pro2M --> buffallo (over spdif) --> IVY --> relais attenuator (home made, not balanced) --> Hypex UCD400.

I would like to skip the attenuator completely and go from buffalo to I/V stage to UCD fully balanced. Volume would have to be controlled digitally in the DAC of course. This, I still need to program into a PIC...
Analog sources like radio (low quality anyway) would need to be converted to digital first and would travel the same route afterwards.

Where to order?

So TPA team: Thanks for the hard work!!

Regards,
Lennert

Attachments

• buffalo_setup.jpg
    buffalo_setup.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 671
I would like to skip the attenuator completely and go from buffalo to I/V stage to UCD fully balanced. Volume would have to be controlled digitally in the DAC of course. This, I still need to program into a PIC...

This sounds like a job for the Volumite!

Analog sources like radio (low quality anyway) would need to be converted to digital first and would travel the same route afterwards.

We have a plan around this, actually. It will remain top secret until it's a little more formed.

BrianDonegan said:

This sounds like a job for the Volumite!

Yes, and actually I'm awaiting its awailability... I could than maybe even use the Uber controller to control the CDPro...

BrianDonegan said:

We have a plan around this, actually. It will remain top secret until it's a little more formed.

If you tell me here ... I'm sure nobody will find out :)

(but seriously, I can live without analog sources for quite some time the buffalo sounding the way it does...)

woodturner-fran said:
Russ,

when do you think the counterpoint kits will be available?

Fran

Honestly I need to test it further before I release. I am waiting until I have a couple placid power supplies sin my hand to test with before I do much more testing.

I am still getting some nagging buzz which I think may be a GND loop, but I need to be sure I have the design solidified before I turn it loose.

I would be willing to send some "beta" boards and the latest schematic to people who have the time and know-how to help me perfect Counterpoint. It could be I am missing something that will be obvious to someone else.

If anyone here is interested please contact me by email.

Thanks!

Russ

192kHz S/PDIF

So, just finished testing a Buffalo with the updated comparator in place. I get solid lock at 24bit/192kHz S/PDIF.

Since I don't have a true 192kHz source, my test rig used a Metronome to upsample a 16/44.1 signal to 24/192 I2S, which was then fed through a WM8804 module to transmit the S/PDIF to the Buffalo.

Future Buffalos will use the new comparator.

Sounds awesome, so when are the new Buffalo boards going to be available again? :)

Also how about the Counterpoint?

On another side note, the USB receiver - what level is the I2S signal from it? 3.3V or 5V? I was looking at the PCM2707 datasheet and I couldn't find a clear answer on that so I'm wondering if you know.

This is a side project for the North Star m192 DAC that I have which accepts I2S input (which also makes me think hello Metronome :cool: )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.