• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There is no really good reason to go > 10nf. I would try 1nf, 4.7nf, and 10nf.

Basically what the cap does is force the input slew rate to be less than the maximum slew rate of the opamp. :)

Very little current actually flows through the cap. Just a few uA at 0db. It's basically a compensation scheme.

It actually does not change the frequency response (until you hit the max GBW).

In my simulations and testing I find 10nf to be pretty ideal. Higher and you start to get more distortion.

Cheers!
Russ

Yes, I have tried it :D :nod:

I had some 10nF wima FKP. Sound is a bit more smoother with it in place. Vocals brought forward and more fluid. I'll be keeping this mod. In fact I think it might just take a little bit of the digitalness off the DAC.

I only listened to about 5 different tracks, but they are all the ones I would use most often for trying out gear. I'll keep it in place and will listen more, probably tomorrow night. But as it stands right now, I think its exactly the thing that was needed!

I'm really comparing to the Peter Daniel NOS premium DAC, and it is pretty smooth. Transport is my shigaclone.

If you have the caps, this is well worth trying out and if you aren't sure just socket the caps first and you can try and remove at will.

Fran

Edit - the ones I used are wima fkp 10000pf 63V if that helps anyone ordering.

Yaqin amplifier

After a couple of months of listening to the Buffalo/IVY I am still amazed at how good the combination is.
If it's of any interest I'm using an active crossover driving Quad ESL 63's via a Yaqin KT88 valve amp and some room equalized bass drivers via a Quad 606 (about the only use a 606 is...

The Yaqin is an amazingly good amp (I worked for Arthur Radford in the 60's so I know what a valve amp should sound like).

I append a section of the Yaqin explanation of why it sounds so good :-

# Adopt outstanding improve ultra to recommend work set the circuit free while being getting linear.
# Grade has enlarged the circuit for SRPP ago, have made the one machine loud and wide , distorted and little frequently.
# Output transformer is it import audio frequency special-purpose silicon steel sheet (0.35mm ) and high strength high-quality enameled wire and special to is it make craft make to wind to adopt.
# Machine this adopt foreign famous-brand special-purpose to Hifi grade electrolytic having polarity electric capacity and high-quality Third Ring Road money to hinder and make stereo,
# the main sound channel selects for use and imports the special-purpose volume electric potential device.
# This machine use grade gallbladder *7 of 12As not famous with behind grade use by gallbladder the EL84s and top-grade English walnut side board not wooden not real not famous.

Obviously the Third Ring Road money and the gallbladder grade valves turn the trick. Why can't we get this quality of valve in Europe?

So heres my feeble attempt to offer some impressions based on my listening and feedback I've gotten from others:
I took the Buffalo to a meet last weekend. The IVY's dual outputs were awesome for tandem listening via a single transport :D Everyone was kind enough to complement the setup, but the most notable comment I got was that the bass and mids were strong via an SE Bijou and hd650's, but lacked some detail on the top end. I'd tend to attribute the recessed top end more to the warm headphones and tube amp. I find in comparison to listening thru the tube amp, that listening directly from the balanced ports yields a noticeably more detailed and bassy character. The bass is insanely impactful and deep directly from the Buffalo.

In comparison to the other DAC's there, I think the Buffalo sounded about right, with a slight bias toward the warm side. The DAC1 was very detailed, but harsh by all accounts and unlistenable directly via headphones. The Opus21 sounded shifted a bit toward the upper end, with more detail and slightly leaner bottom end, and seemed to be "just right" for many of the other attendees. However, it is a $3500 CDP, so with a grain of salt. Rest assured nobody will ever call your Buffalo harsh or tinny.

I told the host of the meet, I was surprised that even in the presence of $3500 DACS and $2000 tube amps, I didn't listen to anything that made me want to throw my stuff out the window. In fact it just made me more confident that I had chosen the right stuff for me :D

Had a good listen there over the last hour or so and don't notice the "sch" or sibilance that you speak of AVR300. It does seem to be more detailed though if thats possible, and the soundstage is different- nicer to my ears!

Is it possible that maybe if its a bit more detailed you are getting the source material in a more ruthless fashion.

Have to say I'm all in favour of this mod.

Fran

EDIT: do you all leave your buffalo turned on or off?

Counterpoint lives!!!

And sounds great so far.

Will post more tomorrow. Need to get some sleep.

Here is a pic before I put it in the test rig.

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 727
Countrepoint in action.

Counterpoint sounds very nice indeed!

I have been running it all day.

It is nice and quiet when it should be, and just sounds "right".

The counterpoint can run in two modes. Zero global feedback mode, and emitter feedback mode. I found it difficult to make the emitter feedback mode work correctly, but ZFB mode is working like a champ!

I have the input bias voltage set at 1.65V This does wonders for the buffalo!!!

Here is how it looks, the light are hypnotic. :)

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 666
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.