musical fidelity x10d schematic - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2007, 10:56 PM   #1
arvin is offline arvin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default musical fidelity x10d schematic

I have been looking for a schematic of this circuit, can anyone help?

what tube should i put in instead of the current tube for a better sound or any modifications etc?

thanks
Old 15th March 2007, 11:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Pending!!

arvin,
I'm at work at the moment - Friday OZ time.
I have a full circuit trace schematic in a work book at home from when I did an upgrade on one. Will check this thread again on Monday - if no ones obliged by then I will scan and post then.
Also have done the same for XL-Pre and the Phono. Do you want them posted too?
Cheers,
Ian
Old 16th March 2007, 05:11 AM   #3
arvin is offline arvin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default xd10 schematic

yes please, thanks gingertube and any recommendations on improved tube modifications are welcome.

regards arvin
Old 16th March 2007, 05:48 AM   #4
Blues is offline Blues  United States
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Ian,

Would you happen to have XA-1 too? Thanks!
Old 16th March 2007, 11:17 PM   #5
Ciu is offline Ciu  France
diyAudio Member

Default About X10D Mods

Hello Gingertube !

I'm also interested , if you have any document about the X10-D, and if you have any advice about sound quality improving, and how to give more gain (actually 0.98 ?)

Many Thanks !
R.C.
Old 17th March 2007, 03:12 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: About X10D Mods

Quote:
Originally posted by Ciu
Hello Gingertube !

I'm also interested , if you have any document about the X10-D, and if you have any advice about sound quality improving, and how to give more gain (actually 0.98 ?)

Many Thanks !
R.C.
Hi,
I'm new to tube circuits but I don't think that you can get more gain since it is a cathode follower circuit.

I'm looking forward to seeing the X10 schematic and comparing with my
Audiodigit Tubalizer. That too is a simple buffer with a gain of 0.98 but works (supposedly) from 12V although I can only make it sound good with 24V.
I'd love to build both circuits and see which one is better.

Here's my schematic for comparison:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tubalizer_-_revised.jpg (55.1 KB, 3107 views)
Old 17th March 2007, 03:53 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Found this somewhere long time ago..perhaps may be of help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x10d_tube_buffer_schematic.jpg (59.4 KB, 3308 views)
Old 17th March 2007, 04:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: About X10D Mods

Arvin, To be sure - X10-d version 1 right? not the V3? - all the rest applies to the V1 so sorry if its inapplicable.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonusthree
I'm new to tube circuits but I don't think that you can get more gain since it is a cathode follower circuit.
I don't think it is? If this is the V1 were talking about Its just run under 100% feedback, SOMEWHERE, perhaps on this very site theres some other information (I'm not sure) regarding changing the feedback resistor to give you a gain of 2 (or more) Think pre-amp

Gingertube, I too would love to see the schematic for the X-Pre, I sold mine on before I really started tweaking... seem to remember an op-amp in there somewhere?

As for X10d modifications, Hmmmm well theres a list! Take a look at rockgrotto http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/ might get some hints by surfing around there, theres also a pre arranged upgrade kit.

A lot of talk for the small X-series centres around the PSU which is basically just a 12v transformer. This is one case where a new 12VAC trafo + some better wire will really help (AND give you an OFF button).

Personally, which is all tube rolling is, I found the 6922's installed nasty-horrid. Changed to E88CC's and there was a marked 'change' which I prefered. then theres that 6N23-P thing which I havent tried...

hope thats useful.

Andy
Old 17th March 2007, 04:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: About X10D Mods

Quote:
Originally posted by andrew_whitham
A lot of talk for the small X-series centres around the PSU which is basically just a 12v transformer. This is one case where a new 12VAC trafo + some better wire will really help
Actually I'll take that back or modify it SHOULD really help. generally the power supply in the X10 is a 60v hack making beautiful use of the fact that its all class A. - IMHO a clever circuit

I STILL need to do this PSU upgrade to my set. (x-10d, x-cans & x-dac) - transformers bought in 2004!

Now thinking aloud:

Suppose you dumped all that power supply circuit and just made a nice linear 60v PSU? without a voltage doubler in site? couldn't you then get rid of the input cap completely? grid of V1 would now be at ground?
And there is space for another board in there too....

Also, One other thing. Check the heater voltages of the 2 tubes, you may find that interesting.

Andy
Old 17th March 2007, 05:13 PM   #10
Ciu is offline Ciu  France
diyAudio Member

Default About X10D Mods

To andrew_whitham

Wich resistor I have to change to modify the gain ; I see a 470k // Cap 10, and at the other side, near V1 Cathode, another resistor 1.5K // 220pF ?
To go Up, or to go down in values ?

Thanks !
R.C.

Hide this!Advertise here!