• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

best schematic designer for tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
I have been using the free LT Spice/switcherCAD III software for over a year and found its schematic drawing tool very handy, especially since it can also simulate whatever scematic is entered. This software is intended for SS but there are Spice models that represent vacuum tubes at several sites on the Internet and most of them work with LT Spice.

It doesn't have the functionality to include controls like potentiometers and switches, though, because those devices have no meaning to a simulator. Its worst feature is its HELP file, which is poorly constructed and leaves many questions unanswered.

I use "Eagle" to draw circuits, very easy and adaptable with good valve files. Makes a very neat circuit drawing. I haven't even tried to use the circuit board designing features because I build point to point.
There is a version of Eagle for Linux (probably Mac as well).

Shoog

Shoog -

I downloaded Eagle. It looks like a fine program - lots of tubes in the available libraries - but I don't see any power transformers in the libraries that have 3 secondary windings (HT,filament,filament). Are there any available that you know of? Thanks!

Haven't had a need for this so don't know really.

Shoog

LowRedMoon said:
I don't see any power transformers in the libraries that have 3 secondary windings (HT,filament,filament). Are there any available that you know of?

The cute thing about Eagle is that it's dead easy to create your own library parts. There are numerous tutorials available, and once you get used to it you can create any part pretty much (except something really horrid like a large FPGA etc.) in 10 minutes or less. I have wriiten a tube footprint generator for Eagle here

There are excellent peer-to-peer support newsgroups on Cadsoft's own servers at news://news.cadsoft.de - yo will want the eagle.userchat.eng & eagle.support.eng groups (there are *.ger groups in German too, if you want).

this may be veering slightly away from the original question, but with regard to LTSpice, and other spices as well,

It doesn't have the functionality to include controls like potentiometers and switches, though, because those devices have no meaning to a simulator. Its worst feature is its HELP file, which is poorly constructed and leaves many questions unanswered.

Actually there is a Pot device, found in the misc symbols section. You can also make your own sort of DIY variable resistors using parameters like this {Rvalue} etc.

Also there are the standard spice switches SW for voltage controlled switch, and CSW for current controlled switch. These can be put together to form relays, and anything else you can imagine.

I do agree that the LTSpice help file is not great. I think LTSpice help file was written for people who already know spice, which is OK for me, but may not suit everyone.

I downloaded Eagle. It looks like a fine program - lots of tubes in the available libraries - but I don't see any power transformers in the libraries that have 3 secondary windings (HT,filament,filament).

When it comes to transformers I think it is every man for himself, you pretty well have to make your own models.

ray_moth said:
I have been using the free LT Spice/switcherCAD III software for over a year and found its schematic drawing tool very handy, especially since it can also simulate whatever scematic is entered. This software is intended for SS but there are Spice models that represent vacuum tubes at several sites on the Internet and most of them work with LT Spice.

As stated elsewhere, it does support switches & pots, and pretty much everything that Pspice does & more.

It's also not fair to say that it's intended for SS - it's a spice engine - it'll take any model you throw at it...

As far as help goes, the Yahoo!!! LTspice groups is very active and full of knowledgable engineers, including the author of LTspice...

LTspice is fast, highly reliable, and FREE!

Zen Mod said:
me;
who else?

:whazzat:

Me! :D

How do you like my triode load?

It is like a very clean choke with very big inductance!!!

Very high DR on AF, very low DR on DC, so voltage on plate is stable and lower B+ voltage is needed!

CS-Load-Servo-Wavebourn.gif

Can you design something better? :D

I have yet to find a schematic cad program that will draw a really good quality schematic, most of them are too busy trying to be all things to all people... generating netlists and spice files and board layouts.. I just want a simple cad program that will draw a nice looking schematic, nothing else.

So far the best thing I've found is using Joel Tunnah's symbol libraries in a generic graphics program. What they lack in ease of use they make up for in style.

Check my Maggie thread for an example if you haven't seen it yet (the pic there is about 1/2 original size).

cant find the tube libraries in eagle, can anyone point me in the right direction???

I got them from their web site.

http://www.cadsoft.de/cgi-bin/downl...download.htm.en&dir=eagle/userfiles/libraries

Scroll down to tubes.lbr The octal part has two package variations. Be sure to use the one that matches your sockets if you intend to to PC board design.

I have created my own library (starting from the one above) that I have used for all Tubelab PC boards. The PC board pads have been enlarged for easy soldering. There are only a few specific tubes, but I have included it here.

I have also used LT spice to create tube schematics, but these were used for simulations, so I didn't bother to make them look good. I have the SimpleSE amp simulation running (ideal OPT) in order to develop some cool new circuits.

Attachments

• valves.zip
    14.9 KB · Views: 113
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.