• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

audio research LS25 preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You blind? From the 12.6v LM337 outputs in Mk1 and rectified, smothed, biased at 70v in Mk2.

To tell the truth i don't quite get all the enthusiasm for this pre. It's mediocre at best. A FET pre with a tube buffer? :)

Not to mention the DS1666. While being better than cheap pots or PGA3210s it is a far cry from a good stepped attenuator. And yes, i have compared it.

There are virtually hundreds of diy projects which have the potential to sound better.

Now I am starting to question my sight. I do not see the heaters anywhere on the schematic so I do not see them in series?? Is the heater voltage from the "-6.9v Audio". The mk1 shows that as ~11v. Most of my projects have been in Solid State so these new fangled tube things confuse me.

If you look at the datasheet you will notice there is a limit on cathode to heater voltage of 130v. At lower supply voltages biasing the heaters at 0v works fine and at higher the hum is minimised when the heater is biased at a positive voltage, in this case 70v. The transformer output is around 18v ac.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.