• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Counterpoint SA 5.1

No problem,
I'll try to find the transformer wiring for you. - there it is along with additional info for you.

The original supplies can be fixed, obviously they did work. They were not reliable and performance can be greatly improved.

The only thing I won't give away is many hours of work and testing, plus there are changes that are not always easy to accomplish even if I did.
It´s me again. Sorry.
I just wanted to get one thing straight from the beginning of this thread. I believe you mentioned that C77 should be changed to a 47uF or lower (40uF maybe). Both C77 and C78 are two 60uF capacitors wired in parallel which would make both 120uF I guess. Do you mean that I should replace the two 60uF capacitors of C77 with a single capacitor of 47uF/500v? The rest of your posts are very clear for me. The other thing is that my unit is a SA5 not 5.1.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi, Okay. The SA-5 and SA-5.1 are very similar. The SA-5.1 has automatic muting. They did apply production run changes during each model year
Total capacitance would b 47uF, or 40 uF. You do not need large caps and could probably use even lower values.
I would replace them if they were mine.