Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2006, 07:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tube Compressor

hi
i m wanted to start building a tube compressor for my bass guitar , i found a compressor schematic with two ecc83 , but it seems it s too old ,and i confused bout the pin connection in first tube , it seems somebody draw it after the original schematic , can anybody tell me , are pin2 and pin1 directly connected to together on first tube ? ( i shown it with a red line around it )

sorry i didn t remember the original link of schematic and the image has no info or copyright on it so i attached the photo ,...

--any idea for another compressor ? any mods ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comp11.jpg (63.7 KB, 1973 views)
Old 13th April 2006, 08:29 AM   #2
Claus is offline Claus  Denmark
diyAudio Member

take a look at
Gyraf

Claus
Old 13th April 2006, 09:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

thnx for link Claus , they were wat i m exactly lookin for , very great projects , but ! i should forget bout finding components here ,,, specialy input / output transformers ... wish i could build them all ! lol
better stick with the one i posted ..
Old 13th April 2006, 10:17 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Tube Compressor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ahmad_tbp
hi
i m wanted to start building a tube compressor for my bass guitar , i found a compressor schematic with two ecc83 , but it seems it s too old ,and i confused bout the pin connection in first tube , it seems somebody draw it after the original schematic , can anybody tell me , are pin2 and pin1 directly connected to together on first tube ? ( i shown it with a red line around it )
Yes, they are joined together - the first stage is an AC triode amplifier, the second is strapped as a diode to rectify the signal level. The DC output from this rectifier is fed to the next triode as a DC amplifier, the DC output from that is used to bias the final triode, which is used as a variable resistor - making a variable attenuator in conjunction with the 470K.
Old 13th April 2006, 10:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

thnx Nigel
sorry i m so new in tubes and almost know nothin bout them ,
so i can use it befor preamp with no problem yeah ?
Old 13th April 2006, 10:49 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ahmad_tbp
thnx Nigel
sorry i m so new in tubes and almost know nothin bout them ,
so i can use it befor preamp with no problem yeah ?
Assuming the preamp has a high input impedance?, designed for a passive bass - obviously it's designed to feed a valve preamp, but a high impedance solid state one will be fine.

Don't know how well it will work?, and personally I don't see the point in doing it using valves - and it's somewhat cruder than solid state ones (for example only using a half wave rectifier).

My daughters a bass player, solid state all the way! - I don't see any advantage with valves for bass?.
Old 13th April 2006, 02:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Here, use this:
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/MicPreamp.html

For guitar/bass, change the input resistor to 470K or so.

I'm a bassist and it works just fine
Old 13th April 2006, 09:24 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

hi ,
here s the preamp i m goin to use after it ( ampeg v3 preamp ) :
http://www.drtube.com/schematics/ampeg/v3pre-jp.gif
to Nigel Goodwin : infact most bassists are into solid state cuz they need lotsa power , but wat can ever compare with the warm and alive sound of a tube ? and cuz of that most amps are usin valves for pre and solid state for power , i prefer all tube my self
i built and tried several diffrent solid comb but none of them was satisfy me , so it s time to try a valve comp...
and thnx geek for link at sure i ll try the comp section if i find ic here
Old 13th April 2006, 09:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If I could suggest something- go for LED-photoresistor compression. It has rather long time constant, which is very good for agressive bass line, has good attack and mild compression. As simple as it gets- amplifiaction control goes from a rectifier and feed the LED, and a LED modulates resistance of photoresistor in voltage divider or op-amp circuit.

Quote:
Life is like a mystery,
with many clues, but with few anwers
to tell us what it is that we can do to look,
for messages that keep us from the truth
I've heard it some whare before, what's that?
Old 13th April 2006, 09:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ha!
I knew it! I knew it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sound.jpg (11.7 KB, 1447 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!