• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Photo Gallery

finally.....

input tube is a 12BY7, ltp drivers are paralleled 12BH7's, this is a non-global negative feedback amplifier, the KT88's are run as triodes so that the resulting low plate resistance from parallel operation negates the need for global negative feedback.....

002-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

007-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

002-2.jpg

biasing at -47v power consumption was:
016-2.jpg

backing down a bit to -50volts yeilded this power consumption and seemed to be stable, no drifting was noticed and the tubes were surprisingly within 2mA of each other....
017-2.jpg

setup psu and amplifier block combo for a listening test:
012-1.jpg

010-2.jpg

013-1.jpg

Tony; how many watts do you expect out of it?

i did not measure, but 75watts into 8ohms i guess......:D

i did not spend anything on this project, an audiophile friend came to me with an old amp to gut down and a lot of new parts and asked what can be done...of course everything was his idea, i merely did as i was told.....

the only limit imposed was that we use the old irons as these were stripped M6 goss irons....

that is why i decided to go the triode route.....

the output KT88's are not stressed imho so we expect them to last long...

Single end? Why so many caps?

no, push-pull......

B+ is about 410volts at -50volts bias.......opt connection to 16 ohms reflects a primary impedance of about 1600ohms anode to anode....

maybe the experts here can do the math....:D

so many caps? he had 12 of those 1000ufd/450volts caps and asked to put them in.......i used a 15amp fwb rectifier, a CRCRCRC filtering with froward biased !N5408 to the final 2 sets of caps for each channel......i series connected those caps since the off load standby can go as high as 480 volts....

Last edited:
I am also planning an amplifier to take over in the living room, driving Magnepan SMGa´s. It is going to live next to my Empire Scientific Troubadour 598 turntable, so I am designing it to match. It will be PP 20W based on 6L6 og 807 or such. Here is a rendering drawn in Sketchup and rendered in Kerkythia It is available at the google warehouse.
TAO+AMP%25234+bronse.jpg

Hi Trondaro

Google sketchup is a great free tool to use and it helps you to get an idea of how things fit & scale,heres some renders I done .

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

RavenR1300Bamplifier1.jpg

OPTcase.png

CHeers